Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2009, 22:47   #1

San Diego Bay to Catalina

So, I realize this isn't as challenging as just about every other topic in this part of the forum, but I'm wondering if anybody has made this sail before. I'd be in a catalina 27, with a reliable outboard motor, but pretty limited sailing experience. I know what I'm doing well enough to sail around San Diego bay without trouble, but as I said, my experience is minimal. So, if I kept to the coast, and left early morning, would it be realistic to make it out to Avalon, Catalina in one day or two, in early April?

Thanks
Ender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 05:27   #2

Boat: S/V Pooka Com-Pac 27
I trailered our CP27 out from Colorado and made the trip over, bear in mind any advice from me is based on one trip.

The trip up from SD would be mostly uphill, wind and wave from the north. If you have the time harbor hop north to say Newport then it's a nice broad reach over. You can anchor in Dana and Newport. Both places are fun to check out. Wait for weather in your favor, we found the San Pedro channel to set up in a short chop with downhill wind. The boat can, in decent shape, most certainly make the trip, I think that's what it was named for. Avalon is fun, for a couple days, two harbors is better, in my opinion.
Old 10-03-2009, 05:48   #3

Boat: Beneteau First 42
See the following:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...and-24119.html

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ina-19199.html
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 21:09   #4

Sweet, thank you so much
Ender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2009, 09:26   #5

Boat: Catalina 36' - PAJAMA PARTY
Hey Ender

We have been running up and down the Southern California coast preping for our journey to La Paz. When we left San Diego harbor we sailed up to Oceanside about 9 hours, very little wind until the afternoon, so you motor sail a good part of the journey.

From there, rest up overnight then head for Avalon another 8 hours or so, on the water. When you get to Avalon, hail the harbor ch16 and they will come out to direct you to a buoy for tie up. (if you've never been their before ask them to guide you to the buoy...it's easier that way, they have hundreds)

CAUTION: Make sure you have your head switched to HOLDING TANK. THEY WILL be coming by to drop the yellow dye in the tank...if it leaks, you get a huge fine and not allowed back for up to 2 years.

As my wife just mentioned, (snoopy girl) you could do it in one sailing...propably about 14-18 hours.

Live What you Dream,
Joe
PAJAMA PARTY is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
san diego