Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2008, 19:28   #1

Boat: Oceanic 46 (Jack Savage)
Sailing to Surf Spots: South Pacific & PNG, Indonesia

Wondering how many cruiser are out there, with surfboards, that are looking for remote surfing spots? Don't give any secrets away. But this is what I'm taking off to do next year.

Cheers,

Glenn
surfingminniwinni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2008, 03:00   #2

Get busy on the net, check out all the "rural guest houses" and other remote resorts, If there is surf nearby they will advertise that point. Email them & ask when, & promise to call in on your way there - may find the occasional crew hitching to the break
masalai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2008, 01:20   #3

G'Day Masalai,

How is Buderim these days? I lived at Alex Headland back in the early 80's for about 5 years. Thanks for the info, I have already tasted the waves of Vanauatu & the northern islands of Tonga, but went by air. I'm looking forward to next yesr when I do it by yacht.

Thanks again,

Glenn

https://trekkingthesea.blogspot.com.au/
Old 29-02-2008, 01:59   #4

Hi SurferGlen, You would not know the place now... I must move in a few years as the traffic is a right pain... The Buderim Ginger Factory, which was converted into a craft/hippy trading centre was bought out by Woolworths and has created a day long traffic jam. Same applies down on the beach-front with late sippers & vouyers filling all the "alfresco" coffee shops (under the hi rise apartments) @ mooloolaba, & alex is mostly medium rise apartments & NO PARKING (off street) so congestion is worse than a bad case of pleurisy...

Wish I was there now.... Have to meet commitments here first... Fair weather and good sailing/surfing

Brian
Old 29-02-2008, 19:00   #5

Hi Brian,

I guess thats why I left, I could see it becoming another Gold Coast. I have some fond memories of living up there, windsurfing and surfing at Maroochy beach and big wave windsurfing at moffatt headland down Caloundra way..

Cheers,

Old 01-03-2008, 14:32   #7

Thanks Mate.

Interesting stuff.

Cheers,

Old 21-03-2010, 00:35   #8

Boat: boro temptress 33' TIGRESS
Wink surf png/solomans

hi guys i hope you have found waves in both spots....i surfed kavieng a few years ago and had a ball...am about to head up that way again down the track(sailing this time) i have done a great deal of reasearch and know i will find some good spots...will share with only a select few !!!!!!!
skimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2010, 00:54   #9

Sailing to Kavieng?

I will be heading off via the Louisades rally in late 2010 or 2011 - still building - see here boats-n-stuff.com.au - Index and my build progress My build, a Bob Oram 39C motor sailer to see the images you must register to be able to log-in...

See you there... - it is being 'worked-up' - I have locked an area for text section only for the bandwidth handicapped to keep in touch...

Cheers,
masalai
Old 21-03-2010, 04:07   #10

West Coast of Sumatra from Aceh in the North down to Padang in the South
Laidback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2010, 06:13   #11

Boat: boro temptress 33' TIGRESS
pirate png/indo/sols

thanks but indo out......too many boats......i know it has perfect waves( surfed it from 1974-1981-2)but it"s done.......near new ground png/sols......
skimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2010, 06:35   #12

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff H28 Ketch & Brisol 24 @ 25'
Something that is always in the back of my mind when I think about yachting; half the reason I bought the boat was because I wanted to stay on or at sea and riding waves. The other half was my love of the ocean.

Just thought I would note I started a similar thread on my/your group Surfing and Cruising. See, http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/groups/39-surfing+%26amp%3B+cruising.html

Feel free to drop over and say hello! It would be nice to start a bit of a community of fellow minded surfers in an obscure corner of this site from where any secret spots would not leak out too fast.

As far as surf spots are concerned a few people I know are off to PNG for a return trip and are happy to tell me the round-about locations of the surf spots.

As far as indo is concerned, I am happy to avoid the place. Not only because a lady at work nearly got killed in a bomb blast at Kuta and my neighbours were recently drugged and robbed, but because when I did get away from this trouble to a so called secret spot I am still a bit worried I would run into a boat load of wannabe pro types I went to sea to avoid.
Old 21-03-2010, 06:42   #13

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff H28 Ketch & Brisol 24 @ 25'
Quote:
Originally Posted by skimbo View Post
thanks but indo out......too many boats......i know it has perfect waves( surfed it from 1974-1981-2)but it"s done.......near new ground png/sols......

I am starting to think I should be outfitting my boat for a trip to the same locations via Lord Howe to NZ then north past Norfolk and New Caledonia. Bit of a dream I am working on and a route that should have more than enough surf?

Thanks for all the tips and posts above!
Old 21-03-2010, 17:37   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurferShane View Post
Something that is always in the back of my mind when I think about yachting; half the reason I bought the boat was because I wanted to stay on or at sea and riding waves. The other half was my love of the ocean.
Just thought I would note I started a similar thread on my/your group Surfing and Cruising. See, http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/groups/39-surfing+%26amp%3B+cruising.html

Feel free to drop over and say hello! It would be nice to start a bit of a community of fellow minded surfers in an obscure corner of this site from where any secret spots would not leak out too fast.

Count me in!!

Old 21-03-2010, 19:04   #15

Boat: a sailing boat
Hi, Glenn,

I met young guys doing just that - sailing to the 'out of reach' surf spots. A cat.

2006/7 Pacific/Indian.

barnie
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Indonesia, Papua New Guinea, south pacific