Unfortunately we won't be sailing out until end of March, so that would be a big delay for you. Second, I can't just fill the boat with crew. I need a DP, and someone who can double as 1st AD/sound, and it would be nice if one of them could speak French. We may have a fourth, but we'll probably do a contest to create a buzz, where people submit for the crew position/co-host and get their friends to vote. Then we review all of the applicants and select the right fit for the boat. This will help us generate awareness and advertising/sponsorship, and possibly get distribution and ultimately good funding
to do much more than the bare minimum I can do on my own. If I can only do 3 of us, I'll try and find a third person who can be quickly trained to do 1st AD/sound as well.
Sailing experience will be important for any of the crew, but I also have to look at their ability to double as film crew and cast. I'm hoping to find a sailing schol in MDR who will give our crew some private lessons on our own boat in exchange for exposure. We'll film that of course, and combined with the boat buying
process should help stimulate the boat economy for MDR.
How many people we can bring on the boat depends on the size of the boat and how much money
I manage to raise to cover expenses. I may end up with a 33-35' boat, and that's pretty tight. I will be launching a website shortly and initiating a kickstarter or indiegogo campaign to tie in with the crew/cast contest. I only have a very limited budget
of my own to work with, and will need to raise money
if I'm going to cover expenses of the crew. Several people have offered to get involved on their own dime to be part of the experience and show, but I'd rather cover the costs if possible and perhaps have enough to even have people get paid.
We'll have production staff involved on the ground as well, so this will be a rather large undertaking. If I was just going on my own, had more money and didn't have all the filming and boat size issues to consider, it might be different, but I don't think it will work. Of course if something changes I'll let you know.
P.S. I haven't bought a boat yet. Not sure where you read that. I have one that I really like, but will buy the boat when I get to MDR and film the process. The one I like is a bit out of budget, and I don't really want to raise money for the boat. I want to keep it for production. I think I should front the cost of the boat myself. Also, we probably won't stop in PV now. We'll interview people in MDR, then likely try to make spring break in Enseneda (thanks for the tip Greg), then head
along the Baja
coast and down to Galapagos