Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-12-2011, 04:45   #16

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
Re: Sailing the Pacific Puddle Jump While Filming a TV Show. Advice?

Wow!!,--to be 20 years younger.

A departed sailing friend of mine used to say,"anything I'm doing now, that I didn't know about 6 hours ago, is an adventure"
Your receptive ness of other ideas bodes well for you, good luck on the project.
Old 13-12-2011, 04:46   #17

Boat: Hunter 37.5 Legend

I just saw a Beneteau 44 in SW Florida. She looked in pretty good shape, with a new chartplotter and other items. Its being offered for 35K!!! Sad, but unbelievably good pice.
Old 13-12-2011, 04:50   #18
Marine Service Provider

Send a message via Skype™ to SS Little-Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon4399 View Post
I just saw a Beneteau 44 in SW Florida. She looked in pretty good shape, with a new chartplotter and other items. Its being offered for 35K!!! Sad, but unbelievably good pice.
PM me the details if you don't mind. I'm all over that...
SS Little-Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2011, 05:05   #19
Marine Service Provider

My teenage boys are 13 and 15, and I'll be flying them out to where ever I am in June and they'll be sailing with me for the summer as well. Their first languages are french, so my oldest is going to be the host in some of the French episodes. They are going to go gaga when I finally get the boat. They're pretty pumped already. Dang. I'm getting excited too.
Old 13-12-2011, 05:33   #20

Boat: Downeast 32

I have a DE 32 in Ensenada for sail this boat is cruise ready. Contact me if interested.
agrainofsand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2011, 05:47   #21
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrainofsand View Post
I have a DE 32 in Ensenada for sail this boat is cruise ready. Contact me if interested.
Not sure what a DE is, but I have to have room for at least four. Feel free me to send me information via email.
Old 13-12-2011, 06:16   #22
Marine Service Provider

How about this? Ugly as hell, and I don't like Center Cockpit since it's a pain for fishing and swimming, but it's made in BC and is rigged for the trip...

Vallarta Yachts Sales & Service (Nuevo Vallarta, Mexico)

Dang. I'd have to LIVE on that thing... Ugh.
Old 13-12-2011, 07:00   #23

Boat: Fisher-25 motorsailer
Hello There,

Read ur post about doing a show on spec. Sounds interesting. I am a cinematographer with sailing background. I have experience shooting 35mm on panavision / Arricam ST/LT , old BL4s to S16mm on Arri SR3s, and currently these days shooting on REDs and ALEXAs. I need not mention shooting other SD or low res format cameras like EX3 etc.
You can check my showreel on www.storyinframes.com
Cheers
Prashantt
storyinframes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2011, 08:21   #24
Marine Service Provider

Hi Prashantt.

Have no fear, no SD equipment here. Even my iPhone is 720p. I'll check out your reel. What are you thinking? Do you have a resume/cv? Do you own any of your own gear? PM me please.
Old 13-12-2011, 09:14   #25

Boat: Fisher-25 motorsailer
Did u receive my PM. No confirmation though if the message has been sent
storyinframes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2011, 12:55   #26

Hey Jon,

My girlfriend and I are in Mazatlan and have just been chatting to Zeehag about your post, it sounds like you tick all the boxes on our list and we may just tick your boxes too.

We've been crewing upon a Catalina 42 from Los Angeles since October and are looking for an alternative boat for a trans-pacific trip to Australia/NZ from Puerto Vallarta. We'll be in Puerto Vallarta by the 20th December and spending the Christmas and New Year with family.

In terms of us...

I'm Tom, 25 years old, from London, England and I speak conversational (although rusty) French. I have ocean & night watch experience and am qualified to RYA Competent Crew level. I'm a snowboarder, wakeboarder, skateboarder and surfer (soon, hopefully. Once I can pick up a board and learn!). I studied photography at college and Advertising at university and for the last couple of years I've been working at one of the top Social Media agencies in London, We Are Social. My dad's a television producer and I've grown up around film sets where I've had some experience working too before getting into Advertising and Social Media. Oh and since using my GoPro on the yacht over the last 2 months I've become ever so slightly obsessed - I'll mail you some awesome shots.

Yaz is 23 years old, from London also and has the same sailing experience as me with the added benefit of growing up with yachty parents and going on many sailing holidays as a child. She studied journalism at university and has been working in one of the top PR and Events companies in London, Cake Group. She's got loads of experience researching, planning and holding events as well as getting press coverage for clients ranging from big boys like Sky TV to boutique restaurants etc. She's got valuable television and press contacts in the UK and internationally and has experience standing in for presenters too. Yaz is currently looking at taking her photography from amateur to semi-pro so she's experienced with cameras and getting the right shot!

Most importantly though, we think your idea is brilliant and would love to be involved if possible - as well as being decent people, friendly, always up for a laugh and very creative.

Feel free to check out our blog to get an idea of some of our interests: The Bloggiest Bloggy Blog and follow the links to our social profiles etc, etc.

E-mail me on tom [dot] harvey [at] me [dot] com if you're interested in taking us on - it'd be great to know a bit more about you and some more details if possible too. Alternatively, you can Skype me on tomtomtomharvey - I've got reasonably good internet access until Wednesday night or Thursday morning.

What sized yacht are you thinking about? We'll be in Puerto Vallarta within the next few days so we could take a look at some for you if you needed us to.

Hope to speak to you soon!

Tom & Yaz
tom1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2011, 14:28   #27
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

ss little devil-- there are over 150 boats for sale in mazatlan and cabo and san carlos/guaymas and 2 other locales for one broker. there are boats in ensenada for sale. these boats have been for sale for a lil time and some have just been placed on market. there is a gulfstar 37 in san carlos /guaymas for sale that looks good for a comfy cruise--- why dont you contact the mazatlan yacht brokers for info and find a mexiboat from usa for sale and shorten your sail to be from mazatlan or puerto vallarta to south pacific..... is a consideration...
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2011, 15:11   #28
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by storyinframes View Post
Did u receive my PM. No confirmation though if the message has been sent
Yep. Just going over it now...
Old 13-12-2011, 15:13   #29
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
ss little devil-- there are over 150 boats for sale in mazatlan and cabo and san carlos/guaymas and 2 other locales for one broker. there are boats in ensenada for sale. these boats have been for sale for a lil time and some have just been placed on market. there is a gulfstar 37 in san carlos /guaymas for sale that looks good for a comfy cruise--- why dont you contact the mazatlan yacht brokers for info and find a mexiboat from usa for sale and shorten your sail to be from mazatlan or puerto vallarta to south pacific..... is a consideration...
Hi Zeehag. I have been looking into that and am open. I think the biggest issue will be getting everything to the boat. Shipping my own personal items is one thing, but camera gear is another. It might be easier to ship to the US than to Mexico but I'm not sure. Maybe it's the complete opposite. I'll have to check the cost as well.

Tom: Just gonna read your post now also....
Old 13-12-2011, 16:18   #30
Marine Service Provider

Tom. I'm in the pacific time zone. It's 3:18pm here. For sure let's try to skype at some point. My skype name is xtravrt. Regarding boat, I'm working on that now. I'm using my own money for the project but I'm considering bringing in partners, doing a kickstarter campaign, and pitching the idea to some Producers and networks to see if we can get a commitment and some funds up front. I'm also going to try to get some sponsors. That could increase the boat budget so we can more comfortably be hold a crew of four, plus have the odd "special guest" aboard for a week or so at a time on different legs.

I was just at The American Film Market in early November pitching a TV sitcom I developed called Un-Do Influence. I won't bore everyone with the details, but you can see more about it on my site. I made a lot of contacts and learned a ton about raising money and getting distribution. Sounds like you and your GF would have some contacts and skills there too.

Background-wise I owned an advertising agency called Enter360 Media Group for 9 years. We specialized in hunting, shooting and outdor sports. Did a lot of military/law enforcement products as well. Lots of PR, lots of web apps and ecommerce, lots of creative work, catalogs, some tv content and commercial work. I sold the client list and got out in 2008. Loads of experience building companies, business strategy, branding, internet marketing, etc. I haven't generated an income since so I'm starting to be a bit more conservative in my lifestyle 4 years later. I've been busy writing, training, buying and learning how to use equipment, and making films. I have limited funds left and am prepared to sail until I'm broke and have to start over financially. Hopefully the show sells though and I am not a 43 year old homeless person by the time I'm done. I guess the worst case scenario is I'm broke but still own a boat to live on, and will have to figure things out from there. Lol.

More later dude.

Tags
pacific puddle jump, sailing