Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-05-2011, 15:34   #1

Boat: Cole, Nantucket, 33
Sailing the Great Australian Bight East to West

Hi All. My boat and I are in Adelaide South Australia. I want to get to Perth in the next 12 months. Other than "don't do it" can anyone provide info about sailing east west across the Great Australian Bight. This is the Southern Ocean so I am very cautious. Questions like prevailing winds.. how far between landfalls.. boat prep etc come to mind. Any help appreciated. Regards Reid ... SV Flying Cloud.
Reid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2011, 16:37   #2

Re: Sailing the Great Australian Bight East to West

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reid View Post
Hi All. My boat and I are in Adelaide South Australia. I want to get to Perth in the next 12 months. Other than "don't do it" can anyone provide info about sailing east west across the Great Australian Bight. This is the Southern Ocean so I am very cautious. Questions like prevailing winds.. how far between landfalls.. boat prep etc come to mind. Any help appreciated. Regards Reid ... SV Flying Cloud.
Reid, Ive done it a few times in both directions. For an east/west crossing , summer is the best time. The High pressure systems are well south so the predominant wind is South east or possibly light with a fresh South East sea breeze in the afternoons. The high will also help to erode any strong cold fronts that approach from the southern ocean. You can day sail from Adelaide to Streaky Bay or Ceduna to minimize the crossing distance too say Daw or Middle island to around 600 nm from memory. So in summary leave Adelaide in early February and keep an eye on the BOM web site and don't go to far south as the seabreeze effect may only stretch to around 100nm offshore at most.

Regards
Old 28-05-2011, 04:09   #3

Thanks Catty I am very grateful for your advice. I am getting a bit psyched out by this stretch. Will start to plan it carefully. Regards Reid
Old 27-10-2011, 03:45   #4

Reid have you come across the bight yet We are considering it Before Christmas 2011 in our 44 roberts
44rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2011, 22:15   #5

Hi Unfortunately life has gotten in the way and I have had to postpone for a couple of years. All the best to you though. Let me know how you go I would be keen for any insights. Regards Reid
Old 28-10-2011, 04:00   #6

well I think you only live once someone compared the bight to a roller coaster I think cant be as bad as in a cyclone.witch we are considering running the gauntlet dont have the time to wait so the bight is probly going to be it.havn't made our minds up yet.Is a very hard choice.Iv'e been through a cyclone but not the bight.
44rob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia, sailing