Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2011, 15:17   #1

Sailing Macao to HK - Clearing In an Issue ?

Threadmates,

I am looking at a number of different boats, and one of them is a small boat in Macao.

If I buy the Macao boat, I would like to sail it for a short visit to HK before eventually shipping it to the Philippines. Are yachts travelling to HK treated as "foreign" visiting yachts that need to clear in and out, and if so, what is involved? The boat will have been "de-registered in Macao", but not yet registered anywhere in my name. I would simply have a notarized bill of sale from the last owner. Would that cause difficulties getting the boat into HK?

Also, would I have any problems getting back into Macao once the boat has been de-registered there?

Any experiences or advice that anyone would care to share would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

G2L
Gone2long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 15:49   #2

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 31 Monsun, 30'9"
re: Sailing Macao to HK - Clearing In an Issue ?

I believe that according to the international maritime law, a boat must be registered when entering territorial waters. Nevertheless many people have moved around yachts having only bill of sale, so I've heard. Personally, I know one boat that went from Singapore to Sabah, PI, and ended up in Hong Kong where they finally registered. Good luck!
Old 11-06-2011, 07:33   #3

Ahoy Klubko - Re: Sailing Macao to HK - Clearing In an Issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by klubko View Post
I believe that according to the international maritime law, a boat must be registered when entering territorial waters. Nevertheless many people have moved around yachts having only bill of sale, so I've heard. Personally, I know one boat that went from Singapore to Sabah, PI, and ended up in Hong Kong where they finally registered. Good luck!
In fact, I was going to PM you on this, but I figured that, eventually, you'd probably spot my post on this thread, and have something to add, so I am glad to hear from you.

I also hope to hear from HK sailors who may have made the trip back and forth for one reason or another - like taking the wife shopping? - and what they might have to say. Hopefully, some other kindred spirits will take the time to respond.

Even if their boats were properly registered, I simply need to know how "territorial" the differences are taken to be by the Macao and HK officials. After all, there are about 40 ferry boats transiting the route daily, so, is there really an active customs routine that must be followed when transiting from HK on a yacht?

That's one factor (amongst many others) which I need to figure out before making any definite plans.

Best regards, and thanks, as always, for your input.

G2L
Old 11-06-2011, 15:21   #4

My pleasure. In fact, HK customs ignore yachts completely, which was a surprise to us. You only need to deal with harbourmaster and immigration.
Old 12-06-2011, 14:08   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by klubko View Post
My pleasure. In fact, HK customs ignore yachts completely, which was a surprise to us. You only need to deal with harbourmaster and immigration.
Well that is good news. I understand about immigration, but I am wondering what the "harbourmaster" might want from me? If possible, I might want to sail the boat to HK, then ship it from there instead of Macao, because I am running into a difficult time finding shipping companies that travel to the Philippines via Macao. All of them ship out of HK. Wondering if I could sail in as a visiting yacht and then ship from HK to the Phlippines.

Any idea about that, or who to ask?

Thanks for your note, and anyone else out there who has something to add, please jump in.

Regards again,

AB
Old 12-06-2011, 16:12   #6

Hong Kong Marine Department Hong Kong Marine Department Home Page should have all the answers for you.
Not sure who you want to ship with, but we had excellent experience with Panalpina, when we shipped our first dinghy (Mirror) from Perth to Keelung Very helpful and the cheapest we have talked to.

Tags
sailing