Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 26-09-2009, 11:50   #1

Sailing in Hawaii

I've seen lots of posts about sailing to Hawaii, but I'm curious about the sailing once you are in Hawaii. We have some friends who want us to move there. I'd love to here from anyone who lives, or has spent extended periods of time in Hawaii. (related to sailing...)
Thanks!
Peggy

Old 26-09-2009, 13:27   #2
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Sailing between islands can be far more challenging than in places like the Virgin Islands. Many anchorages are not usable year round. Many of the better year-round anchorages charge a fee and are restricted to 90-day use. The water around most islands tend to be a lot more about lava than sand, and there are a lot of places where you might want to dive where anchoring is restricted in order to protect the coral. You'll find mooring buoys in such places, but you can't spend the night on them.

All in all, Hawaii is not the cruiser's paradise you might expect it to be.

Old 27-09-2009, 12:19   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cascade, Sloop, 42 - "Casual"
Aloha Peggy,
Bash is right.
While Hawaii could be the sailing capital of the world, the legislative bodies that be don't like boaters and the state run marinas are the pits. Just now moorings and slips are getting a substantial fee increase and a requirement for $300,000 insurance. 15 year waiting list in the Ala Wai (Honolulu). The fee increase will go into the general fund and never reach the marinas.
Therefore, if you want to sail in Hawaii the best and cheapest is buying a trailerable. Most trailerables are not suitable for channel crossings (Island to island) in anything but the best conditions.
If you are military or retired military there might be a marina slip available.
Sailing between my area, Hilo Bay, and anywhere else where there is a good anchorage or slip is about 100 miles through some pretty rough waters.
Check the search engine listed below my signature for more Hawaii information and discussion.
Kind regards,
JohnL
Old 27-09-2009, 12:23   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Sailing interisland is a challange and finding anchorages is doable. There are very few marinas and slips but anchorage areas can be found. The normal trade winds coming through the major channels from the NE reach 20-25 knots on a normal day. Once you've found an anchorage the swimming and snorkeling is great. Diving and surfing is great and a the weather normally is beautiful.
Good luck in your decision.
regards,
Old 27-09-2009, 12:25   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Our club's newsletter is at www.hilo-sailing.org and there is at least one interisland sail written up in the last couple of months.
regards
Old 27-09-2009, 15:31   #6

Thanks for sharing this important info.
Old 22-10-2009, 12:52   #7

Boat: M&M 52, Kiapa
sure, sailing in hawaii is tougher than many mainland or caribbean destinations... but it's great preparation for the south pacific or beyond, and it's beautiful.

april thru september (especially memorial day thru labor day) is best window, as many of the beautiful north shore anchorages are accessible. october thru march, one should stick with developed marinas & harbors.

obviously, due to brisk trades... it's way better to go east to west, Hilo to Lihue, if you want to cover any distance at all. Hilo is great. the Kona coast is great. Lahaina is OK. Honolua bay is spectacular (and surf dependent). Kalaupapa is priceless (and very wx dependent). The south shore of Molokai has a few gunkholing options. Kaneohe bay is all weather, a superb destination. There are enough options near Honolulu, that you can always find a berth or secure anchorage. Ko Olina is a superb marina on SW Oahu, with terrific haulout options. Hanalei bay, in season, is the best. And finally, Nawiliwili is an all weather, year round harbor with room visitors.

in general, all the yacht clubs are welcoming of anyone who sails to hawaii... and can be a great resource. good sailing...
Old 19-12-2009, 22:22   #8

Boat: S&S Hughes 38
Can someone tell what the anchoring,moorage options there are in Hilo.Also any info. not mentioned by kiapa would be appreciated.
Old 20-12-2009, 13:06   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Aloha High Seas,
Hilo mooring is in Reeds Bay. Temporary mooring can be had in Radio Bay. You put down and maintain your own mooring in Reeds Bay and right now the cost is $1 a foot a month, however, there is state pressure to raise the fee by 4 times and that may become effective soon. There is also a new rule in effect that requires $300,000 liability insurance naming the state as additional insured.
To get the real scoop call the DLNR - Boating folks at 933-0414 and the manager at 329-4997 for Reeds Bay and the Transportation folks at 933-8850 for Radio Bay. The area code is 808.
For more discussion about Hawaii use the search engine after my signature.
regards,
Old 20-12-2009, 15:09   #10

Boat: 34' Searunner Tri
I would like to sail my 34' Trimaran over in the spring and haul it out and leave it on the hard untill late summer. Anyone have any tips on if this is realistic, or is it too much to expect that I could pull this off? Thanks Ahead.
Old 21-12-2009, 18:04   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Jmolan,
There is Gentry's Kona Marine in Honokahou (near Kona) that has dry storage. It is the only outfit on the Island of Hawaii that does that sort of thing. I think there is a waiting list. Their number is 808-329-7896. Call now to see what would be available. Ask them for numbers of other places on other islands that might help you.
regards,
Old 21-12-2009, 18:59   #12

Boat: 34' Searunner Tri
SkiprJohn, Thanks so much I will give them a call. I have tried asking before and got no response, so this tells me it is not readily available.

As a little aside, this is what I am used to. San Carlos Mexico, where they haul and store 600 to 800 boats a year! When I first saw the storage yard, I thought it was another harbor. I store my 34' Trimaran on our own trailor. It gets hauled and splashed by capable crew driving Cat machines
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	013111_10A.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	404.3 KB
ID:	11980   Click image for larger version

Name:	018111_15A.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	416.4 KB
ID:	11981  

Click image for larger version

Name:	022222_19A.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	419.1 KB
ID:	11982   Click image for larger version

Name:	024444_21A.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	416.0 KB
ID:	11983  

Old 21-12-2009, 19:07   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I certainly wish Hawaii would catch up to Mexico but the government just does not like boaters. Like I've said in many threads this could be the sailing capitol/capital of the world. They just don't get it.
regards,
Old 21-12-2009, 19:12   #14

Boat: M&M 52, Kiapa
the yard at Ko'olina is also a haulout & store option. it's on SW corner of oahu. we've hauled & painted there. the setup might be one of the best between the mainland and new zealand.
Old 09-02-2014, 14:31   #15

Location: Southern California...s/v Feral Cat Catalina 38' S&S design
Boat: Catalina 38' S&S design
Re: Sailing in Hawaii

Hi folks, just bumping the thread... How are things for bringing my boat to HAWAII? Currently on a mooring and would prefer to keep it that way. Member of the Transpac Yacht club but have not tracked information down via that mechanism. I really like the Kaneohe bay but realize not best for my needs as not easy to get into for long term.

Okay, which Island is best to sail the boat to for long term availability of a mooring scenario, even if I need to create my own if it is even possible legal wise? I was born in Hawaii and thinking of relocating back. Not real concerned on which island as they all have positives.

I have searched the net and the information seems a little conflicting. I have the mental image similar to what Bash has discussed so would I be better off just selling the boat and looking to pick up another already in Hawaii, set up either on a dock (Yuck) or a mooring scenario? Not sure I would like living there as much WITHOUT my boat, the place is just too perfect for a nice sailboat included lifestyle.

Rambling aside, which island would be recommended as the most boater friendly today?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: