Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-03-2012, 15:03   #1

Sailing from the Phillipines to Japan...and back?

So the plan is is to visit some friends and family for a couple weeks and sail back. I've been doing some research and I've learned that this isn't the easiest of voyages. I'm not a complete novice as I sailed a lot when I was a kid but I'm a bit rusty and I don't know a great deal about these waters so I need all the advice I can get. When would be the best time of year to do this as far as prevailing winds and avoiding monsoons? Additionally, is there a minimum footage boat wise you would recommend for a trip of this nature. I was looking at getting a Westsail 32 or something in that ballpark.

Much Gratitude,

Lloyd

p.s. I'm living in Cagayan right now. If anyone knows a good place, preferably local, where I could get a boat that would be splendid.
lloydkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2012, 19:48   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Re: Sailing from the Phillipines to Japan...and back?

Hi and welcome to Cruisers Forum.

There are a few websites and places that sell boats in the Philippines. A Google should find them. I found Apollo Duck, Broadwater Marine and Boatshed Philippines in a few seconds.

However, as you will doubtless find if you join the boat owner ranks, boats are expensive to buy and keep, easy to buy (if you have the money) and hard to sell.

The biggest problem with what you describe could be that turn key ready to go Water boats">blue water boats are few and far between. Many cruisers spend one, three or even more years getting their boat ready.

As I've seen reports that the sea between Japan and the Philippines can get pretty rough getting your experience up to speed would also be a very good idea.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2012, 22:22   #3
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Hi Lloyd and welcome to CF

I have cruised from the Philippines and HK to Japan a few times and it is certainly doable but not a practical 2,800nm return voyage for your suggested purpose of a 2 week visit.

Weather windows of opportunity are narrow and because of strong currents, heavy sharp seas are common in even minor disturbances.

The seasonal NE and SW Monsoons don’t lend themselves to a quick turn around and you will find that Japanese Red Tape for cruising sailors is an all- consuming sophisticated maze designed over centuries to keep us barbarians out.
It is also not cheap!

Having said all of that, I love Japan but would only consider it worthwhile for a minimum 3 month cruise there over the Cherry blossom season.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2012, 22:13   #4

Boat: custom 42' catamaran

"p.s. I'm living in Cagayan right now. If anyone knows a good place, preferably local, where I could get a boat that would be splendid." ==> If this is the Cagayan de Oro on the northern coast of Mindinao, you are reasonably close to Tombobo Bay on southern Negros. There are around fifty yachts in the harbor now and several of them are for sale at reasonable prices. Nigel Roberts builds sailing catamarans here (mine was recently launched) so you can get a very nice boat ready to customize at a very attractive price - likely significantly under $100K USD for a 42' boat. The boat can be customized as you build to suit your individual needs. I believe that he has a recently set up a Facebook page at Tongo_Sail_Inn.
Bruce626 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sailing