Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 29-12-2015, 11:23   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
Re: Sailing from Seattle to Tofino - best times to go? What to avoid/not to miss?

What was said about the tides cannot be overemphasized.You can sail upwind on an outgoing tide, and if you have a good tailwind you can sometimes make progress against the tide, but you should plan your passage out the strait with tide first in mind. You cannot make progress against the tide and wind.
If you are going there next August I may be around. PM when you finalize plans. I am always good for a dinner and conversation.

Old 29-12-2015, 17:00   #17

Boat: C&C
Re: Sailing from Seattle to Tofino - best times to go? What to avoid/not to miss?

Quote:
Originally Posted by exMaggieDrum View Post
We went around Vancouver Island in May and part of June. Almost no fog and few boats. Depending on the weather systems (unusual the last two years) it might be very cloudy/rainy or sunny/dry. Do pay attention to the tides and currents in all your planning.

The first thing that came to my mind is that you will be just sailing most of the time and not really enjoying the stunning beauty of the coast. It would be an adventure of course just going. You could spend several days in Barkeley Sound alone. August is the "busy" season, also known as Fogust, but last year we had very little fog. Other years you would have been in deep fog for most of the month. Make sure you are good with radar and navigation and have the proper charts/chips for the coast.

Have fun though - it is a spectacular place to cruise.
I'm thinking that late May might be our best bet. I'm hoping to do two trips this season, one to the San Juans/Gulf Islands and this one; if we go in late May then that would leave August for San Juans and the Gulf Islands.

I'm hoping to take a day trip or two during the week while I'm at Tofino, maybe do some surfing or hikes or other things. I heard there is a bus that runs to Uclulet, maybe I could hop on one of the trips that head to that waterfall who's name is currently escaping me. We may also be able to extend one of the legs a day or so so we could do an extra day in Barkeley sound on the way back. Ultimately it'll all depend on the weather. I'll definitely be paying attention to tides/currents.

Thanks for your input!

Old 29-12-2015, 17:50   #18

Boat: C&C

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
What was said about the tides cannot be overemphasized.You can sail upwind on an outgoing tide, and if you have a good tailwind you can sometimes make progress against the tide, but you should plan your passage out the strait with tide first in mind. You cannot make progress against the tide and wind.
If you are going there next August I may be around. PM when you finalize plans. I am always good for a dinner and conversation.
Definitely good advice. I'm thinking late May is going to be our target, so we can see what days will serve us best riding the tide out of the straight to Neah Bay. Also will want to watch for any tide rips - I'm well aware of the Pt Wilson tide rip - any others I should be wary of (I'll be going through the Waggoner guide and a couple other publications)?

I'll definitely give you a shout out when we go!

Tags
sail, sailing, seattle

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: