Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2010, 16:11   #16

Boracay,

I've lived in the PI for a number of years, and I've played around a bit with coastal sailing here, but I have never lived aboard in this country.

Wondering what your actual concerns are. Sounds like you are worried about safety issues. After hunting down a number of sources, local and international, the agreement seems to be that my idea about sailing up from Sabah via Tawi Tawi are pretty risky, but that other areas are safe. The problem that I see regarding living aboard is finding a safe area that has any kind of shore-side support and services. I agree with you that Subic, etc. seem like the best choices.

On the other hand, if you want to sit in a Coron bay for months on end, pick lobsters off the bottom, and drink captured rain water, I can't imagine anyone bothering you too much.

Just wondering about your take on this, and also (if I have not mentioned it before) wondering if you know what the time limit is for a foreign registered yacht in PI waters. My guess is that the time limit of one's visa is more of a factor.

Regards again,

Goner
Gone2long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 17:29   #17

Boat: Bayliner, Buccaneer 21 - SeaWitch
Send a message via Skype™ to OPTIONTAKERS
Hi Goner,

I sent a car to Zurich, Switzerland from the US using an export/import brokerage company. They took care of everything. Import your sailboat from NJ to Cebu using a brokerage company: Customs brokerage | Cargo management | Cargo handling | Cargo forwarding | company. There are probably brokerage companies in Cebu that you can use.

Get a qoute from 3 different companies to compare the price. Try these.

Boat Shipping - Import Regulations in Philippines
Import Boats, Boat & Yacht Shipping, Used, Fishing, Ski Boats, USA, United State
Overseas boat shipping - Trans Global Logistics

Let the brokeage company handle it because they are in the business of helping you transport your boat to the Philippines or anywhere else in the world. Some brokerage companies in the Philppines are better than others because they are well connected.

Godspeed.
Optiontakers
OPTIONTAKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 19:22   #18

Boat: Bayliner, Buccaneer 21 - SeaWitch
Send a message via Skype™ to OPTIONTAKERS
Hi NotQuiteLost,

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotQuiteLost View Post
My Iridium is perfectly functional here in the PI, and I remember seeing that the other two networks I was looking at would have been fine for around here, also. Was it Inmarsat and Globalstar? I can't remember off the top of my head, sorry.
We were checking Thrane iridium. It is extremely slow. According to Thrane website, "The standard data capability of the SAILOR SC4000 Iridium system is 2.4 kbps and can be turned up to 10 kbps by accessing Iridium’s 10 kbps compressed data service."
On the other hand, Thrane has another product that provides "broadband data and voice on the latest generation of Inmarsat satellites." I still want to know from other users particularly sailors if this is better than iridium.

Globalstar is exactly what I had in mind...it works like a normal mobile phone. Unfortunately, there is no satellite coverage available in the Philippines.

Godspeed.
Optiontakrs
OPTIONTAKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 20:18   #19

Hi,

Thanks for the leads. Will take a look. From what I have heard, you are right about the brokers. However, when I talked to some, they were pretty bleak about the prospects of avoiding the basic taxes.

The only way possibly around them is to stay in the US for 6 months or more. Then, I might be able to ship the boat back as a "household item" and actually get it in tax free. That is not really an option for me however.

But, there are other options, like buying in HK and sailing here. Also have found some good local boat builders who might make me a small yacht here for a decent price.

Will keep in touch.

Regards,

Goner
Gone2long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2011, 02:18   #20

Re: Sailing from NJ, USA to Cebu, Philippines

kamusta? i am james 45 in arkansas. my wife is from cebu. i have plans for a 29' paul gartside cutter that i will begin building in 2012, i am also planning to sail her to cebu across the southern pacific visiting places like Tahiti. i plan on launching my boat in texas and doing my sea trials in the gulf. i would love to talk to you more about your trip.
seagypsy2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2011, 04:46   #21
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE

Sail Samal Homepage

Live in the Philippines

Ellen from sail samal can answer many questions for you. She also works with the new marina ob Samal across from Davao. There is information on her site, and you can google Davao Marina Holiday Resort.

Live in the Philippines is an informative site also. John Meile is a distributor for the West System, and has much information about obtaining boat stuff including electronic, and paper charts.

As far as the trip itself. It depends on what your time table is. I wouldn't miss the Bahamas at all. I would spend as much time as possible there. Nearly a full winter. Then onto the San Blas in Panama. After that I would transit the canal, provision, and leave for the South Pacific following the islands all the way up to Davao. Check in, and then find my way to Dumegate via Palawan.

There appears to be a smalll sailing community in Carmen Bay on Cebu. Also check into the Pinoy website, and contact them. Unless you just want the adventure of the travel consider a boat built in the Phils. Possibly a nice Wharram, or something more modern?

We left northern Florida a little over a year ago. I am now in Costa Rica, Golfito, on the Pacific side. The plan is to get to Hawaii, and then S.F to finish some business there. Either sell the boat, or sail to the Phils with her. The book by Jimmmy Cornell will advise you of routes, and what seasons. Also you can here at Pilot Charts to get a better view of what conditions are on the average along these routes.

Atlas of Pilot Charts for the Major Oceans of the World

BEST WISHES on getting there. I hope to be not far behind......i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2011, 15:41   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Long, long way in a small boat...

Its a long way from Arkansas to Cebu. You'd be almost certain to get some bad weather on the way.

I'm assuming you mean something like the Paul Gartside design #145. A lovely seaworthy looking boat.

He does mention 5,000 hours, and the quality wood may be hard to find and very expensive.

Have you considered building in Negros? There's a builder there in Port Bonbonon that you could have a chat with. A few decent worker could have that boat together in no time.

I wouldn't have thought that it was a boat suitable for the Philippines though. The locals use their bancas for very good reasons: cheap, fast, economical, beachable come to mind. Their bamboo amas on flexible struts make good fenders. No worries to get most across a coral reef.

For round the Phils that's what I'd go for. For crossing the Pacific maybe an Easy Cat?

Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2011, 19:55   #23

Re: Long, long way in a small boat...

i have the 29' cutter that is not listed on his website, it is on wooden boat store site. have you guys ever heard of Lin and Larry Pardey ? my boat will be very much like theirs, no engine and no electronics, all this stuff does is break down and suck you dry of money. take a look at their videos and read some of their books and you will know what i mean. they have got it worked out , a simple life style. i will enjoy building my boat just as much as sailing her. also someone was wondering how long you can keep your boat in the philippines? ..you can stay for up to a year. me , i am married to a former pilipina and as long as we enter the philippines together, i do not need a visa and can stay up to a year, if i do not get the retirment visa they have now. i know the philippines and how the system works pretty much, in manila i had to pay a bribe to an airport guard to get my tickets fixed, i'm sure most of you have done something close to that at one time or another. yes, arkansas is far from cebu, but new jersy is a just as far also for that couple planning the same thing. i would love to hear more from stories from anyone planning or have been there......
Old 16-09-2011, 20:01   #24

Boat: custom 42' catamaran

"have you guys ever heard of Lin and Larry Pardey ? my boat will be very much like theirs, no engine and no electronics" ==> Is there anyone in the cruising community that has not? I have read several of their books and really enjoyed the monthly 'tips' collections on their site.

I like the lifestyle but am not so extreme. My 43' catamaran was built here by Nigel Roberts and is currently in the water in Tambobo Bay waiting to be rigged and fitted out. The boat is wood covered in fiberglass and it has one engine. I will not have most of the stuff: no refrigeration, no freezer; no water maker; no dedicated chart plotter (just a laptop); no radar; no ssb; no aircon; and likely some other stuff.

My plan is to mainly live at anchor (few marinas here) and sail around all the major islands of the central Philippines - with side visits to many smaller islands. I expect to sail only during the day, anchoring each night and perhaps staying for a day to a week before moving on. I will likely seldom be out of sight of land. I have an SRRV so I have permanent residence.

I agree that it would have been nice to see an update on the original post and how the trip is going (went?). Good luck with your plans.
Bruce626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2011, 20:08   #25

that sounds like what i am wanting to do, day sail around the islands. living off the local foods. very nice !!
Old 16-10-2011, 17:49   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by OPTIONTAKERS View Post
Hi Boracay,

Thanks for the information regarding Carmen in Cebu. I'll add it to my "Things To Do" list.

Interesting..."My big reservation about the Philippines is when the stay starts becoming extended. Remember the old saying about a moving target being hard to hit." - I'll keep this in mind.

Godspeed.
Optiontakers
My Wife of over 20 years is originally from the Philippines, I love the country and people and have both lived and worked there longish terms.
Having said that, it is not until one actually "lives" in a "third world country" can the full impact of the meaning "third world" hit home.
Now we both feel that unless one had little choice and of course depending upon the "Quality of Life" surroundings and background environment one comes from, we would not would be happy spending any other time there on a boat than for fun visiting. Having said that, I would need less persuading to stay longer term in Malaysia or parts of Thailand.
IMHO my first advice as a prerequisite to anyone thinking of staying there long term without going loopy, would be to have a bloody good sense of humour.
Islander1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 03:41   #27

hi im new to this site im wondering if any one has ever traveld from usa or canada to the philippines and what route did you take im planing a trip from vancouver canada to the dumaguete philippined for the end of this year i have been planing it for the pass three years just my route left to get in order any good advice would be nice thanks
dumaguete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 05:24   #28

Boat: custom 42' catamaran

Can't help on routing as my catamaran was built here; but just a note to point out that the 'anchorage' off the Dumaguete sea wall is not protected. About 50 kn south there is a better anchorage in Tombobo Bay where there are many yachts. You can contact Nigel Roberts for more information on current anchoring.
Bruce626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 20:32   #29

thanks ya i no nigel verry well i go see him often since the road was redone love the new road at tambobo bay love the new place have you travel here yet with your catamaran
dumaguete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 21:36   #30

Boat: Cheoy Lee Luders 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumaguete View Post
hi im new to this site im wondering if any one has ever traveld from usa or canada to the philippines and what route did you take im planing a trip from vancouver canada to the dumaguete philippined for the end of this year i have been planing it for the pass three years just my route left to get in order any good advice would be nice thanks
Our long term plan (dream) is to do the Pacific Puddle Jump, and then work our way up to Mindanao. Not sure if it would make sense for you to come to Mexico via the Baja Haha or not, but that's would I would be considering.

There are a few different options once west of Fiji that I still haven't worked out myself, but there is some information out there...check the s/v delos blog S/V Delos for one, they stopped over in Australia, but I don't think it's required.
RokNRich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Philippines