Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-11-2017, 12:48   #16

Boat: 1988 48' Offshore
Re: Sailing from BC to Panama

Be sure to pick up a copy of Eric Bauhaus' Cruising Guide to Panama. It has much better charts than what are commercially available for chart plotters from Navionics, etc.

After looking up your boat on the internet, I would love to see it here!
oldjags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2017, 13:20   #17

Boat: Adams/Davis 35ft 7in. Custom. 2007

We did the opposite trip to you and I can assure you that you are going the right way !! In Panama we had an incident with pirates and were lucky to get away. The area is on an isolated peninsula called Parque Nacional Cerro Hoya and we were anchored in a bay on the SW tip. They now have guns down there and I met an American boat with bullet scars still on his hull in Brisbane 2 years ago. He was an ex marine so there are 3 less now to deal with. I would sail past that area next time. Some boats also have problems in Golfito in Costa Rica which the locals keep quiet about. Always best to look a little dirty and scruffy down there...... not hard for me!!!!
picklesandjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2017, 13:34   #18

Boat: Custom 55 foot wooden Schooner

Thanks for the heads up. Shall keep those places to lee. Enjoy Australia!
John on Ghillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2017, 15:14   #19

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

I won't repeat the good advice already given.

It is important that you, your crew, and your boat are ready for the trip - I recommend a few months cruising B.C. and/or the Puget Sound first. Too often first timers leave in September (a great time) but are then delayed with problems until the autumnal storms start hitting. One friend is stuck in Crescent City right now as a result (he didn't think he needed a shakedown, and problems slowed him down). Going down the PNW coast in the summer is problematic, as it is often foggy, and also the afternoon winds can be quite brisk (but at least in the right direction). Once past Cape Mendocino the weather moderates, with another big change at Point Conception.

At the time I went south (1994) Charlies Charts was badly out-of-date. I scheduled stops at several ports south of Acapulco to Huatulco, only to find that all of the lovely anchorages described in CC were completely full of pangas on moorings, and what anchorages that were available were exposed, very deep, and/or otherwise poor. I think the CC guide is more current these days, so check carefully as this stretch of coast doesn't have a lot of safe stops.

Golfo de Tehuantepec can be vicious, as others have said. But I disagree with the traditional advice of "keeping one foot on the beach" to get through the gulf. I have known too many boats getting beat up and even damaged that way (beyond the expected sand-blasting). And since it is longer and slower it increases the chances of getting hit with the winds. You do not want to be anchoring in 50 knot winds. We now know that these winds are caused by high pressure in the western Caribbean driving through the low point in the mountains to the low pressure on the Pacific side, similar to the Chinook winds here in the Colombia Gorge and the Santa Anas in Southern California. Today's weather forecasting is good enough that you will be able to leave Huatulco and directly cross the gulf safely if you wait for a window with no high in the western Caribbean.

Central America is beautiful and interesting, but it is important to know the situation in each country before heading out. When I went south in 1994 Guatemala and Nicaragua were no-go areas. We had an interesting stop at La Union, El Salvador in the Golfo de Fonseca but I'm not certain what the situation is now. Costa Rica was a high point of all of my cruising, and worth a week or two traveling on land with a car rental. And the islands and coast of Panama are very beautiful and a great cruising ground in their own right (Bahia Honda was striking). Times change, so get the current info before going.

Fair winds - Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2017, 15:52   #20

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltictim View Post
Hello John,
We sailed down from Vancouver to Zihuatanejo, Mexico last year. Left Vancouver September 1, stayed inshore mostly...did a few overnights plus some bar crossings. Had to wait out some weather in Coos Bay and in Newport but mostly it was an easy trip downwind. Had one extra crew along so we were 3 aboard.
We stayed a few weeks in San Diego and joined the Baja Haha there...highly recommend taking part in this Rally...we have made many friends from among that group and still stay in touch a year later....the Haha has been organized by Latitude 38 for the last 20 years or so and is well organized and provides a sense of security for first timers down the west coast of Mexico. Haha ends in Cabo San Lucas....from there an easy overnight to the mainland....Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta area and down to Zihua. Make sure that you include a stay in Zihuatanejo in mid-February to take part in Sailfest...stay until mid-March to experience GuitarFest....just do it!

X2. Been to Zihua a number of times, you will love it. Beautiful protected bay and activities galore.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 04:48   #21

Boat: 53' Amel Super Maramu

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjags View Post
When you get the Bay of Panama, be sure to come spend a few weeks in the Pearl Islands! We live on Isla Saboga, and are in the process of putting in a marina that will hopefully be complete by then.

The islands are very undeveloped, but the diving, snorkeling and fishing are excellent.
The Pearl Islands were a really pleasant surprise for us. We actually much preferred them over the San Blas islands. They were shockingly quiet for being as close to Panama City as they are!

Good luck with the marina.
Hobie_ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 14:05   #22

Boat: Outbound 44

I assume we are talking about the Las Perlas islands 25 miles SE of Panama City. Lots of tide out there, good fishing, not much snorkeling.

The western Panama islands are pretty much empty of yachts and worth some stops on your way to Panama City from Costa Rica.
We really enjoyed our times in the San Blas, the eastern end is not crowded with cruisers. The San Blas seems to be a place that you either really like or really don't. The time of year makes a lot of difference. Too wind can get old. Too much lightning always gets old.
Old 01-12-2017, 19:31   #23

Boat: Custom 55 foot wooden Schooner

Had not heard of the Bluewater Cruising group. Just googled it and was impressed with what they offer. Thanks for the suggestion. We live in Ontario but will now spend 6 months/year out this way and south going forward. They will be winter months initially. Just on a car trip down the West coast now before driving back to Ontario for Christmas. Back in a couple of months to get to know our new boat.

John
John on Ghillie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Panama, sail, sailing