What does the coastguard do,paddle?

Old 10-05-2013, 12:09   #47

Boat: Hedley Nicol Vagabond MK2, 37'
Re: Sailing BC Waters Engineless?

Quote:
Originally Posted by highseas View Post
What does the coastguard do,paddle?
Yes.....the ones that cause the trouble

Check out the statistics for data. Look at all the watercraft that got into trouble with engines from cruise ships and skiboats to jetskis. When they stopped working or when other factors caused a collision etc. trouble happens a lot faster....Motors have put many people on the water without a full skill set and a turn key mentality. Engines are great tools, I have one, but like all tools should be used responsibly and not counted on for boating safety.

Old 10-05-2013, 12:10   #48

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Sailing uphill on the inside is not a fast passage and heaps of tide and current to deal with, sailing downhill on the outside is fraught with danger with foul ground from top to bottom.
If that is your thing, you have heaps of time and could care less if you stack your boat up on the rocks... have a great time! Phil
Old 10-05-2013, 14:28   #49

Boat: Dufour35 1982

Sorry Capt. The Outside passage is not fraught with dangers! It is a wild and somewhat intimidating if you are used to marina buoyed channel to marina maybe. You need to be a sailor, have time as has been stated and be aware of the tides and the weather systems.

You will also need bloody good waterproofs! :-) It is an incredable place to be. Away from the "inside passage" you can go along time without seeing another boat. A wonderland, that is not for everyone but not to be dismissed on grounds of being overly dangerous.
Old 10-05-2013, 15:41   #50

Having circumnavigated VI by sail twice back in the 60's and 70's and spent about 9 years towing black oil barges and logging equipment from Vancouver in the south to the top end (Cape Scott) of the Island around Brooks Peninsula as well as into Tofino, Ucluyet and Barclay Sound as far up as Port Alberni, I guess we don't agree that the west coast of the Island is 'fraught with danger'. Spent a couple of seasons trolling for salmon out of Port Alberni off the Swiftsure Bank from April to September as well during that time.
Compared with other areas I've done deliveries and cruised from Panama to Alaska, I recall it being pretty inhospitable, particularly between November and May. I worked commercially on both sides of Vancouver Island and would take the inside any day provided you properly plan for tide and current.
The OP was asking for opinions about passagemaking without an engine both inside and outside and I stand by my opinion. That's what makes this forum of value.... differences of opinion and experience. Cheers, Phil
Old 10-05-2013, 16:04   #51

Hi Capn,

I have also sailed the coast waters of BC, granted only in small 27-35 ft Sailboats for the last 27 years. Lived in remote outside locations and usually travelled with a brood of kids. Never take chances and "doing it for fun" I soon learnt never to say that I was going to do on voyages. Alaska or the West Coast of the Island? all depended on what the weather was doing, and for how long.

I agree this forum is for people to express their opinions. I agree that the outside has many dangers, but then so does the inside. Anyhow safe Sailing
Old 10-05-2013, 16:14   #52

Boat: Niagara 35

Quote:
The B.C. coast is known as great "cruising" grounds,but not so much a great "sailing" area.Sailing motorless is unwise and puts other boaters at greater risk.B.C. Ferries have run boats down,more than once.
What sort of boats did BC Ferries run down? I think I remember one a long time ago where somebody in a speed boat altered course right in front of them. Don't remember anything about a sailboat or a motorboat dead in the water being run down. Unless you count hitting the Horseshoe Bay marina!

BC Ferries have altered course for me more than once while I've been sailing.
Old 10-05-2013, 16:22   #53

You are correct, cwyckham... I recall a couple of boats, one them under sail being run down in the pass between Mayne Island and Galiano quite a number of years ago. Don't recall the details, though... Phil
Old 10-05-2013, 16:24   #54

In the narrow channels especially on the North Coast, the cruise ships are deadly, and the commercial boats can show little compassion for those of us out their playing n their work area. Without an engine inside needs lots of time outside must like the idea of being on a wild coastline! and it is wild!
Old 10-05-2013, 16:34   #55

Very good advice, NorthPacific... I'd forgotten how pissed I used to get when sailboats under sail in Johnston Straits would cruise around looking for wind while I was looking for jumpers and finners to make a set around on my seine boat. Mind you this was before folks learned about the picturesque Glacier Bay trips to Alaska so no cruise ships to deal with. As I recall, I used to be somewhat rude at times... one of those commercial guys who pleasure boaters used to curse, I'm sure. Mind you there wasn't that many boaters except us commercial folks in that area in the 50's, 60's and 70's. Cheers, Phil
Old 10-05-2013, 17:37   #56
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
The B.C. coast is known as great "cruising" grounds,but not so much a great "sailing" area.Sailing motorless is unwise and puts other boaters at greater risk.B.C. Ferries have run boats down,more than once.
I do not recall them running down sailboats. Powerboats - yes.

Transportation Safety Board of Canada - Marine Investigation Report M00W0220
ASA 201, 203,204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 09:36   #57

Boat: S&S Hughes 38

There are many safety items required on a boat and others that are nice to have.On CF it has been established that it is foolish to head out on the water without this that and the other,sails,epirb,radio,etc.When it comes to engines,some think they are optional.Now that is some twisted logic!Good luck sailing engineless.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:57   #58

Quote:
There are many safety items required on a boat and others that are nice to have.On CF it has been established that it is foolish to head out on the water without this that and the other,sails,epirb,radio,etc.When it comes to engines,some think they are optional.Now that is some twisted logic!Good luck sailing engineless.
Have you ever heard of a Sailing couple called the Pardys! They must be really twisted!
Old 11-05-2013, 10:12   #59

Boat: S&S Hughes 38

What may be ok for the Pardeys is not necessarily ok for the average boater.Sailing across oceans can be done engineless.Sailing B.C. not so much.Are Pardeys sailing B.C. waters?I doubt it.Better call Seatow,with my mandatory radio,to get my ass out of trouble.Check Pardeys own website,it goes to great lengths explaining diesels and how to keep them reliable!
Old 11-05-2013, 11:57   #60

Boat: Hedley Nicol Vagabond MK2, 37'

There is no doubt that engines have encouraged many people to get out on the water.....and most haven't developed the skills necessary to sail without one. Many people buy a large boat before they can handle it, using the engine to get going while they "figure out" the rest. Low skill cruisers both power and sail use up a higher proportion of rescue resources and exhibit less self sufficiency than those up to the challenge of sailing well. The most common radio rescue actually involves people running out of gas or breaking down...The best reason for having an engine appears to be t get out of the way of the less competent who aren't versed in the rules of the road and may well be the greatest hazard of any cruising ground.

The NW waters were traveled for thousands of years before engines and have been traveled for a couple hundred years+ under sail. When sailing without engines it is a good idea to plan your routes to avoid areas that could have conflicts. Instead of fighting the ferries in Active Pass go around Saturna for example.

When sailing without a engine you should be able to move your boat under paddle, sweep, long boat, kedging etc....It is a great way to stay in shape! When anchoring keep an eye on being able to maneuver around the other boats when it is time to leave. Shallow draft can let you use less congested areas with more elbow room.And learn to be patient with those without experience or practice who are uncomfortable about boating using methods outside what they have been conditioned to accept.

Above all your boat should be able to sail well in all conditions, from zephers to strong. Many boats really need those engines because do to design or gear they have problems in sailing performance so consider what you choose to sail carefully.

Tags
sailing

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: