Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2010, 20:41   #1

Boat: Looking for a new boat
Safety in Mexico

This is Ben's counterpart here, wondering about his safety in Mexico. I may just be a victim of sensational media but it can't hurt to ask right? What's cruisers forum here for anyway So...any thoughts on safety issues when traveling in Mexico? Should you stay in the marinas or venture out? Any concerns with Ensenada or anchorages up to 150 miles south of it? Thanks for the reassurance and or heads up!
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 21:00   #2

Boat: Buccaneer 240
No worries,
I've been on several missionary trips down on the Baja. I've even taken my now 6 year old son with me.
I've never felt threatened personaly. We did have a vehicle broken into when we were in Ensenada.

So some advice. Travel light, don't take alot of valuables with you. And what you do take (cameras and such) Keep on your person.

And It seems that most of the violence is happening around the boarder towns. And is Drug related. So, If he is not buying or selling then he should be Ok.

Scott
Morganministry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2010, 10:44   #3

Boat: Looking for a new boat
Thanks Scott that makes me feel a bit better. Has anyone else had any experiences with crime down Baja?
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2010, 11:31   #4

Boat: J40 #33 since 1987
We just spent two weeks in Ensenada at Baja Naval; no criminal activity noted. Only report was of a cat burglar caught at Marina Coral, but nothing violent.
sded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2010, 11:39   #5

Boat: 34' Searunner Tri
There is no worry. The war is druggie against druggie. When we were at Loreto fest on the Baja we were hundreds of Gringo's having a great time. We laughed when we thought of Swine flu (no cases in Baja) Drug wars (none) and a poor economy. We were poor already....:-)
Seriously, just be as careful as yoou are travelling anywhere and you will be fine. Believe me the Mexican locals have suffered from lack of visitors.
Jmolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2010, 11:41   #6

Boat: 63 ft John Spencer Schooner
I always felt safer in Mexico than I did in the US.

dana-tenacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2010, 12:51   #7

Boat: Hylas 47
We had our dinghy stolen in the middle of the night in Altata, Sinaloa. Someone came out to where we were anchored in the middle of the night while we were sleeping and untied our dinghy from where it was tied to our boat. We recovered it a few days later several miles up a mangrove estuary, minus the engine and oars. Now we raise the dinghy out of the water at night. Most people we met were great though, many people in Altata expressed their sympathy for us as word had travelled. We heard a story about a boat being robbed at Marina El Cid in Mazatlan, they caught the thief, and he "disappeared", and the marina hasn't been robbed since. Tough justice, but apparently it works.
john540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2010, 13:24   #8

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A
While cruising in Central America and the Carib there was some speculation that some dinghy and outboard thiefs were done by other cruisiers.
Lock it or Lose it!
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2010, 13:58   #9
cruiser

The $300 price of a 20 year temporary import permit is a definite threat to you wallet, and a threat to any income they may hope to make off cruisers leaving US California and doing a brief stop in Mexico before heading for the Marquesas.
What we should be advocating is they bring in a one year temporary import permit at 1/20th the cost, for those who don't plan to stay inn Mexico long.
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2010, 14:09   #10

Boat: J40 #33 since 1987
The 10 year temporary import permit costs ~$50 these days, and is not required for check in/check out, so no one has ever seen mine. For longer stays where you import parts for your boat it will save you duty costs. Liability insurance is required, on the other hand, and is a bit more expensive than that-typically $195.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
The $300 price of a 20 year temporary import permit is a definite threat to you wallet, and a threat to any income they may hope to make off cruisers leaving US California and doing a brief stop in Mexico before heading for the Marquesas.
What we should be advocating is they bring in a one year temporary import permit at 1/20th the cost, for those who don't plan to stay inn Mexico long.
sded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2010, 08:22   #11

Boat: Lord Nelson 41
I'd second the comment about feeling safer in Mexico than the US, but like Einstein said, everything is relative. If you are in a border town, like TJ, Nogales, Juarez, etc. you obviously need to watch your step.

But in Baja and the lower mainland the risks are essentially the same as they are in the US. There will always be thiefs and thugs, but it seems here (in Mexico) there are fewer and they are certainly less well armed, thanks to Mexico's gun laws (narco-traffickers an obvious exception--speaking here about the common thief/burglar type).

I work at West Marine when I am in the States during the summer months and not a week goes by when someone doesn't come in to buy something because it was stolen off his boat. I don't hear as much of that kind of thing down here.

For more information about cruising Mexico, check our website.

Steve Van Slyke
Puerto Vallarta
http://kavenga.home.att.net
svkavenga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2010, 18:00   #12

Boat: Islander Mk II 30' Tansi Yotin - Northern Cree meaning "Welcome Wind"
Put your fears aside, but not your common sense. I've found that Mexico and its people are amongst the most friendly and kind people in North America. Don't put yourself into places where trouble lurks and you will be fine.
2 years ago, we were in downtown La Paz, and we stopped in for a quick bite at a small hole in the wall pizza by the slice place. There were 4 small tables, we sat down, ate, and left. We were about a block away on the very crowded streets, when I felt a tug on my shirt. I looked down, and a little Mexican boy about 7 years old looked back up at me. He raised his hand and put my wallet back into it, then turned and ran through the crowd to his mother. She waved and turned into the crowd and disappeared. My wallet had slipped out of my pocket as I got up from the table and she sent her son after me to give it back. All our cards and about $400 cash were in it. I never had a chance to say thankyou.
Mexico, is a beautiful country, its people are poor but have very high standards. Give them your respect and you will win friends for life.

www.bajaorbust.blogspot.com
Rick A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2010, 20:08   #13

Boat: Islander 36
I just made the roundtrip,... without a single loss of life.
Old 17-01-2010, 20:15   #14

Do not go to Mexico.

I hate having to wait in line for my fish tacos.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2010, 20:27   #15

We trailered deep into Baja and launched our sailboat at Puerto Escondido. En route, we felt safe enough to park at a wide roadside spot in the desert and sleep overnight aboard the boat. No problems there, or elsewhere. While we were sailing, we paid a local $20 to watch our truck and trailer, parked outside his house. As others in this thread have mentioned, we found people to be unfailingly polite and welcoming.
wyejay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Mexico, safety