Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 25-06-2009, 11:46   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantxsailor View Post
Hey Gord thanks for the world financial education on what an evil "entitled" bastard I really am. Perhaps I should go cut my wrists.

Just to recap I own an old(31yrs)small boat. I don't/won't have any outside income and the $766 was the amount to get into the Galapagos not my monthly spending. It just seemed to me to be a bit steep for entry fee and the question was about wether or not I would be facing confiscation of my boat/home for HAVING to put for resupply for not having enough money as a slightly indigent traveller.

Since I don't live in some third world country where cost of living is low(relative to the US) based on the available income I AM poor in my own country.

I will excuse your snotty attitude because you're stuck ashore in that northern garden spot and having to live through your keyboard.
But if that is NOT your problem please feel to get stuffed...............m
Quote:
If by some chance I arrive at one of these places without(much/enough) any money what are the likely problems? If I have enough just for supplies and am just moving on? I can't imagine my few dollars is going to make or break an economy. Could my boat be taken? Me locked up or just told to leave the country? The humanitarian in me would think that there must be a work around for those of us who own a small boat and don't have much money. I could live at sea for a really long time on $766. Or do I just have suck it up and give over another place to those with the money?.............m
I never intimated that you are evil, nor that you should cut your wrists.

I did suggest that you feel you are, somehow “special”, being “entitled” to a work around, due to your small boat & lack of money.

I should have merely answered your question, instead of trying to wake you up to some realities.
IMHO, yes - you should just suck it up and give over another place to those with the money to pay the fare, or earn enough to pay your way.
Or, you should just keep on doing what you have always done. Enjoy what you have, and don't worry about what you can't have, and be as happy as you can be until you die.
Or you could work until you’re 70, when, at the current rate of SS (if its still around), will pay you $293 a month, on top of whatever you can save over 20 more years.

Most of all, don’t get mad at the messenger who brings the sad, but true, news that poor people cannot enjoy all the costly things that rich people can afford.

My snotty attitude doesn’t derive from being stuck ashore in this northern garden spot, and having to live through my keyboard (all more or less true). It derives from hearing young (50 y/o) snots crying poverty, whilst planning a world cruise - and a certain amount of envy that you are only 50 years old, and contemplating a Pacific cruise.

Still unstuffed,
Gord

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2009, 11:55   #17

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 25 "Turtle"
See, that just goes to show you what I know. This is the first time I have EVER heard of a permit or visa required to sail into the US. Does anyone here actually have first hand knowledge of this entrance fee? Perhaps this is just another way for our wasteful government to collect a few extra bucks. I was/am shocked at how expensive it is to enter some of these places. It's not like I'm planning on staying and unless my boat sinks I DO have a way off.

As for being called/lumped in with riffraff because I'm not wealthy enough, well, you already know my attitude about that................m

Old 25-06-2009, 12:04   #18

Boat: Jeanneau 38 Gin Fizz- Rhosyn Mor
[quote=
For that matter, I'm pretty sure that cantx is wrong about entry to the US being free, as well. Sure, you can fly in, but you can't just land a boat here. There's this little thing called a cruising permit--and it ain't free. Or unlimited. You may also be required to be fingerprinted. quote

While I agree with almost everything you say hellosailor, cruising permits are indeed free. ANd you can just land a boat here, in theory you neeed to give USCG 48 hours notice of your arrival, but you can do ti much further in advance. YOu do have to have all personal visas etc in order before you land however.
Old 25-06-2009, 14:16   #19

Having just looked at the US Visa page it appears there are 35 countries that, if you hold one of their passports, are not required to have a visa to enter the USA for up to 90 days. None of the places I might be interested in sailing to are however listed. Perhaps if they didn't charge us they could also get away without having to pay to visit our country but I think it has more to do with the special tech requirments for the actual passport its self, biometrics and the like.

As I said I have never heard of ANYONE sailing to the US having to pay to enter and have NEVER even heard of a cruising permit for US waters although Florida is making noises about it.

AndorraIcelandNorwayAustraliaIrelandPortugalAustri aItalySan MarinoBelgiumJapanSingaporeBruneiLatviaSlovakiaCze ch RepublicLiechtensteinSloveniaDenmarkLithuaniaSouth KoreaEstoniaLuxembourgSpainFinlandMaltaSwedenFranc eMonacoSwitzerlandGermanythe NetherlandsUnited KingdomHungaryNew Zealand

I have to humbly admit to sounding a little bitter lately. That will sometimes happen when, through no fault of your own, you find yourself back to where you were(financially speaking) 25yrs ago. Between the ecomony going in the tank and hurricane IKE I have been cleaned out. I'm sure some of you may see it as bad planning or some character defect on my part.

I don't, however, remember ever crying poverty. Bitching about not having much money, yes, and grousing about how the wealthy always manage to foul up the places they go, for sure, but never crying. I'm still working on sailing away in spite of having the wind taken out of my sails as it were.

I may or may not get to go any where but like you say at least I'm still young enough to go.

As for my "waking up" at the hands of your enlightened self from the great white north my suggestion still stands.........m
Old 25-06-2009, 15:22   #20

Boat: Jeanneau 38 Gin Fizz- Rhosyn Mor
All foreign yachts need a cruising permit to stay in the USA, and none of the visa waivers apply if you come to the US by boat, you WILL need a stamped visa in your passport.
On another note ( if i may without hijacking the thread) There are many many people who sail to all sorts of places on very limited budgets. THis concept that one needs a thousand, or two, each month is very limiting. I am amazed by how much people think is absolutely necessary to cruise with. Many of my friends ( and I) cruise on monthly budgets in the low hundreds. If one speads the fees over lengths of time they are not that onerous. I have been in the Med, both east and west, and am now on the east coast USA, heading south in the autumn. Owning a sailboat is not cheap buying cheap kit/ gear is a fools game, but if one keeps the systems simple and rugged, and buys the best available all is possible.
Old 25-06-2009, 15:39   #21

Cantx,no use looking at how the US treats cruisers.I heard there is a new law whereby foreign vessels must get government permission for any move.Even moving from one slip to another in the same marina.
Another angle.........right now there are thousands of pacific islanders in the US illegally.This doesnt make it right for you to trespass in their countries but it does make them hypocrites if they make something of it.
For what its worth,I have been ordered off two pacific islands by local policemen.They ordered it and I complied promptly and thats all there was to it.Contrast that to the situation in NZ right now.Hundreds of illegall islanders willing to pay $500 to a scammer to circumvent the law.Refusing to go home.Whining.Demanding rights.Costing the tax payer.
I recently saw a photo of a somewhat remote tuamoto atoll.There were four mega yachts in the photo.Seems they are everywhere these days.What a killing the tax collectors make when those guys arrive in port.And then you sail in, in your crappy little boat........heh,heh,heh.
Old 25-06-2009, 16:11   #22

Boat: deboated
Tuamoto group are part of French Polynesia and as I explained in earlier post you pay a bond for FP. Visa for USA I also explained can be very expensive to obtain but I also understand the need for a Visa. A point I overlooked to explain is for a an Australian for example to enter the USA I do not need a Visa to enter if I was holidaying and carry a return ticket to be used within 90days. But if I have a one way ticket say with the intention of finding a Yacht to cruise home then a Visa is required. Most cruising yachties are on a limited budget and their boats are at least 25+ years old.
Old 25-06-2009, 16:36   #23

Finally a bit of an answer on the why and how it is the way it is. There are always those that look to deliberately game the system and apparently that is why it now costs soooooo much to go to some places. I guess we are having the same problem with illegals(not just Mexicans either) overrunning our country. Hopefully I haven't come across sounding like if you can afford to go, you can go, if not, you get the taxpayers to cover it.

I guess my bitterness will just deepen a bit more. Maybe you're right Gord, I am crying because I'm not weathly(enough). Something is pissing me off.

It seems we soon may not be able to move around our own countries water ways without a permit. Regulations gone wild but I bet if you've got enough money the effect won't bother you so much.

Maybe my point is being missed. Soon none of us regular folks will be able to do anything but act as workers. We will soon have none of the real freedoms anymore.

Those with "enough" will look at the rich in adoration of their excess and the working class in contempt of their lack.....................m
Old 25-06-2009, 22:46   #24

Location: from Houston, TX; currently berthed in Barcelona, headed west
Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe
DAVE852 suggested that you might be able to pull into Galapagos for 72 hours or less as an emergency stop. Please note that you would likely be allowed only 24 hours -- per the port captain to us last year. And if you stop in Marquesas and get caught by the gendarmerie having not cleared in properly, you will be fined $200 USD. The gendarmerie were patrolling daily and fined several boats. They chased one guy down who left the harbor as they entered; brought him back to the harbor; and detained the boat until he paid the fine. This happened at Hiva Oa in May 2009.

If you cannot afford to arrive in their country legally and pay the appropriate fees then they certainly do not want you to visit. Even the extremely lenient countries in the Eastern Caribbean are charging more each year and imposing new time constraints on visiting yachts. Wait until you find out how expensive it is to enter Indonesia!

BTW, cantxsailor, I notice you are from Houston, TX. That is our hometown; our kids and grandkids still live there. IKE hit them hard too, and their insurance companies aren't paying up; so I can appreciate your angst in your financial situation. We bought a boat in the BVI and set sail on a circumnavigation 3+ years ago, with intentions of being back in the Caribbean by late 2011. Don't let that heat get you grumpy!

Judy
S/V BeBe
Amel SM2 #387
Old 25-06-2009, 23:27   #25

Boat: Searunner 31
Canxt,
This might relate to your anxiety. I don't have a boat and my net worth is half what it was 2 yrs ago. I am feeling the need/want of a boat and at the same time expecting to work til I'm 75.

Not bitter, but am trying to still figure out a way.
Old 26-06-2009, 02:19   #26

I wonder what the French would do with a sailor who was flat broke and couldnt pay their fine?
Old 26-06-2009, 04:01   #27

Boat: Trident marine Voyager 30
Take his boat and sell it would be my guess.
Old 26-06-2009, 04:09   #28

Why would they go to that hassel when he could depart on the boat at no further cost to them?
Old 26-06-2009, 04:30   #29

Boat: 40' Northstar Ketch
Quote:

As I said I have never heard of ANYONE sailing to the US having to pay to enter and have NEVER even heard of a cruising permit for US waters although Florida is making noises about it.
User Fee Decals and Transponders - CBP.gov

"User Fee Payment Required
Payment of the User Fee is required if:

You operate a vehicle for commercial purposes that enters the United States.
You operate a private vessel that is 30 feet or more in length that enters the United States.
In order to qualify as a private vessel requiring a decal, the vessel cannot carry passengers who pay a fare.
You operate an aircraft, which is non-commercial and enters the United States.
There is more detailed information related to the requirements of the User Fee in the Code of Federal Regulations: 19 CFR 24.22.

Cost of Annual User Fee
2009 costs of the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) User Fees are as follows:

Private Aircraft Decal: $27.50 (U.S.) per calendar year*
Private Vessel Decal (30 feet or more in length): $27.50 (U.S.) per calendar year*
Commercial Vehicle User Fee – $100.00 – U.S. CBP, $105.00 – Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS)
Canadian Border – $205.00 (U.S.) per calendar year
Mexican Border – $205.00 (U.S.) per calendar year"

I don't think its free to enter the U.S.
Old 26-06-2009, 04:56   #30

Boat: Trident marine Voyager 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonam View Post
Why would they go to that hassel when he could depart on the boat at no further cost to them?
If you cant pay a fine someone will usually show up and take something from you that is worth more than the fine.
I find it very unlikely that the french would tell him to "forget about the fine and sail away". Would that happen in your country after someone broke the law?

Tags
fees

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: