Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-05-2018, 07:59   #1

s.o.s home

family emergency need to get home to Maui!
skills:
nightwatch
cook
converse
read tarot
sing chanties
clean
speak human and doggo

newish to the sea, but have traveled the country so much all the land is a blurry blobb and couldn't guess how many miles. after 8yrs can imagine its in the hundreds of thousands. Jasper and I love to sk8. so that is how we travel. been looking into boats and sailing for some time now. Like with most emergencies can't be planned. still have to be more persistent as now its no longer a dream to sail home, its urgent I get there.

ps If I was meant to fly God would have given me wings and called me a bird....
EmberJasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2018, 08:53   #2

Re: s.o.s home

A family emergency that will takes weeks to arrive?

OK, I'll bite. If you need a ride, a starting point is as important as the destination.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2018, 09:37   #3

Warrenton, OR
Old 24-05-2018, 09:45   #4
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmberJasper View Post
family emergency need to get home to Maui!
skills:
nightwatch
cook
converse
read tarot
sing chanties
clean
speak human and doggo

newish to the sea, but have traveled the country so much all the land is a blurry blobb and couldn't guess how many miles. after 8yrs can imagine its in the hundreds of thousands. Jasper and I love to sk8. so that is how we travel. been looking into boats and sailing for some time now. Like with most emergencies can't be planned. still have to be more persistent as now its no longer a dream to sail home, its urgent I get there.

ps If I was meant to fly God would have given me wings and called me a bird....
Howdy. Welcome Aboard CF!

I see you are new to CF.

Here are a few friendly suggestions that may help you get a ride to Hawaii.

1. Post a better description of yourself. Include your sex (m/f), age, and details about where or what sailing experience and training you currently have.

2. It appears you have a dog (Jasper) traveling with you. Make that clear in your description. Describe the dog size, age, and behavior. You should realize that dogs usually take careful "acclimatization" to a boat on the water, and some do not take to the water (on a boat) well. It can be very difficult for some dogs, who do not enjoy the movement, and may have difficulty having bowel movements while the boat is moving. In short, this could mean the dog would suffer while on the boat. This could be a very significant issue if you intend to take a dog on a voyage across the Pacific, where the expectation is that it may be 21 days or more before reaching land. Consider carefully if you want to put Jasper through that.

In addition, having a dog on a boat can be messy, even if they do poop and pee while aboard. This could cause difficulties with the owner of the boat. Especially if the dog decides to do their elimination inside the boat.

3. Post some photos of yourself and your dog. Photos help others get a sense of you. This could work to your benefit. Show your physical fitness (something important for crew).

4. Indicate if you are willing to share expenses (pay for food and pay something for the passage).

5. Indicate if you are "drug free" as this is a concern of boat owners. Illegal Drugs on a boat is a big liability for a boat owner, and the legality may differ from state to state, so where you are (Oregon?) may not be an issue as much as other places, but it may concern the owner. Even marijuana can cause problems with the USCG, so it is best to be completely "drug free" if you want to crew for others.

6. Provide references.

Good luck on your travels, and I hope this helps you and others.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2018, 09:47   #5

I'll bite too. If this is for real and you're afraid to fly, book passage on a commercial freighter from San Fran or Seattle.
Drew13440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2018, 14:07   #6

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Drew nailed it.
Family emergency? Really?

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2018, 06:40   #7

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadman Uhlich View Post
Howdy. Welcome Aboard CF!

I see you are new to CF.

Here are a few friendly suggestions that may help you get a ride to Hawaii.

1. Post a better description of yourself. Include your sex (m/f), age, and details about where or what sailing experience and training you currently have.

2. It appears you have a dog (Jasper) traveling with you. Make that clear in your description. Describe the dog size, age, and behavior. You should realize that dogs usually take careful "acclimatization" to a boat on the water, and some do not take to the water (on a boat) well. It can be very difficult for some dogs, who do not enjoy the movement, and may have difficulty having bowel movements while the boat is moving. In short, this could mean the dog would suffer while on the boat. This could be a very significant issue if you intend to take a dog on a voyage across the Pacific, where the expectation is that it may be 21 days or more before reaching land. Consider carefully if you want to put Jasper through that.

In addition, having a dog on a boat can be messy, even if they do poop and pee while aboard. This could cause difficulties with the owner of the boat. Especially if the dog decides to do their elimination inside the boat.

3. Post some photos of yourself and your dog. Photos help others get a sense of you. This could work to your benefit. Show your physical fitness (something important for crew).

4. Indicate if you are willing to share expenses (pay for food and pay something for the passage).

5. Indicate if you are "drug free" as this is a concern of boat owners. Illegal Drugs on a boat is a big liability for a boat owner, and the legality may differ from state to state, so where you are (Oregon?) may not be an issue as much as other places, but it may concern the owner. Even marijuana can cause problems with the USCG, so it is best to be completely "drug free" if you want to crew for others.

6. Provide references.

Good luck on your travels, and I hope this helps you and others.
+ papers for dog and clearance requirements in HI.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2018, 15:02   #8

Location: Gone sailing! Please don't tell our adult kids where we are!
Boat: Downeaster 38

If real: good luck to you on getting home.

If this is another Nigerian internet scam: I gotta no money fora you.

SV Sailfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2018, 15:54   #9

Thank you for all info.
Yes it's real.
I know in the US ppl don't hear of folks being stranded in their home country after family is forced to leave never happens.....

It does and when someone says family emergency ppl want call BS on them. Only someone with Family around would think so narrow-minded.
I'll pray for all you haters to not have to go through the same.
Old 26-05-2018, 17:47   #10

Boat: Custom 55

EmberJasper,

I think that calling people who are wondering if this is legit haters is a little much.

Think about it-you're claiming that you need to get home for a family emergency ASAP.

What method of transportation are you trying to take to address this emergency? The SLOWEST ONE POSSIBLE...

Can you, just maybe, see how people aren't getting what you're about?

But, good luck with it.