Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-09-2013, 13:22   #31
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"
Re: Reasons not to visit Vanuatu

your wife would hate me. i only eat french frys for my potatoes. i hate cooked potatoes.
scoobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2013, 15:10   #32

Boat: Beneteau 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobert View Post
your wife would hate me. i only eat french frys for my potatoes. i hate cooked potatoes.
Aren't french fries cooked potatoes?

Sorry the devil made me say that
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
SmartMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2013, 15:22   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTies View Post
We have experienced a 65% reduction in cruising boats visiting since 2010. Pretty sure I know the reason why but would rather hear Pacific cruisers' opinions before launching a campaign to attract boats back again. So, why are boats not coming here anymore?
I've given this a little more thought, and to be honest, for the type of cruising we like, Australia suits us better.

In Vanuatu, you're always anchoring in someone else's property. The villagers are really, really, nice people - don't get me wrong - but we also like to be anchored in places where there is just nobody around.

This is pretty hard to do in Vanuatu. Generally, a good anchorage will have a village. The villagers will be out in their canoes looking for stuff they can't grow or make, like batteries, clothes etc. We were happy to give or trade what we could, (we brought a lot of stuff for just this purpose) but at times it would have been nice just to be left alone.

Also, to be honest, the beaches, the coral etc weren't as nice as we expected. Might have seemed different if we had some sunshine though.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2013, 17:30   #34

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

G'Day all,

I just received the following e-mail from a close friend who is currently in Vanuatu. I was pretty sad to hear his report... make your own judgement. (Names deleted for privacy issues).

just wondering how things are progressing. we are presently in vanuatu. boy have things changed here.EVERYONE has their hand out.even beautiful pelikula bay. they want $10 to walk on the beach, $20 for ataxi to luganville!! everything has to have a guide. still some nice spots but disappearing fast. cruiseship comes 4 times a week to villa. you would not believe the traffic there. resturants have oz prices or more. seafood basket at waterfront bar $95!!! you have to be sure to ask price BEFORE you do anything. yachting world still good value and happy hour too. first bus price to airport $10 then ok $4. I AM JUST GENERALIZING HERE as there are still lots of beautiful places but alot of not so nice feelings from natives but they still want us to bring things along to donate for the village, 100 mtrs of wire,etc. we are all millionairs. i really am disappointed this trip. some places have a sign up with all your options and the prices!! the really sad thing is the yachties have told them how to do all this and continue to do so. i told a native "i can fix your car, otboard,sewing mahine,fix wiring & batteries, fiberglass,etc and you want to charge me $10 to walk on your beach!! goodby" we will not be back. glad we started 14 years ago or maybe i am just getting old and grumpy. all is well. life is sill good. still beats mowing lawns! hope things are ok there. ran into "kracked" bluewater 420 from the lakes. he just had emergency surgery in villa a few weeks back for stomach problem.said to say hi. drop a line when you can.

I, too, am glad to have been a frequent visitor in years past.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 30-09-2013, 17:44   #35

What a shame. Vanuatu was always on the short list. It's most definitely scratched off for now.
MBLittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2013, 19:15   #36

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBLittle View Post
What a shame. Vanuatu was always on the short list. It's most definitely scratched off for now.
Geeez...Me too. It's sad to see this. I wonder if the rest of the Pacific will fall?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2013, 19:19   #37

I wonder if I started a thread about reasons not to visit the USA......

Vanautu is a beautiful spot....enjoy everywhere....they all have positives and negatives.

Cherry picking is like ......

Cheers
LoveMyWoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2013, 19:23   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMyWoodie View Post
I wonder if I started a thread about reasons not to visit the USA...... Vanautu is a beautiful spot....enjoy everywhere....they all have positives and negatives. Cherry picking is like ...... Cheers
There's a reason people LEAVE the USA
Old 30-09-2013, 21:27   #39

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMyWoodie View Post
I wonder if I started a thread about reasons not to visit the USA......

Vanautu is a beautiful spot....enjoy everywhere....they all have positives and negatives.

Cherry picking is like ......

Cheers
The guy who started the thread is a Vanuatu resident and has noticed the decline. He isn't bashing the place, just a concerned local.
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2013, 22:58   #40

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Sorry to here this news! Hate to not want to return after 20 + yrs Our memories of it's Sun rises and sunsets clear water and great fishing, nice folks good veggies and cheap pork were really liked!! O well maybe we will just keep doing the Caribe!! To bad so sad !
Old 30-09-2013, 23:23   #41

We missed visiting last time and stayed longer in the Marshall's. Plan to head back that way this go around but may give it a pass as it appears to have become a little too popular.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2013, 23:57   #42
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"

It hasn't become too popular, it seems it has become too unpopular. Interesting to hear the hands out thing from the locals and the charges they are imposing. I had some feedback from a news column I write that backs this up as well as talking to a Kiwi couple writing a cruising giude. We did our cruising in 2011 and didn't experience these problems. Maybe this is a result of lower cruiser numbers and is a misguided attempt to maximise the return to villages.
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 14:52   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTies View Post
It hasn't become too popular, it seems it has become too unpopular. Interesting to hear the hands out thing from the locals and the charges they are imposing. I had some feedback from a news column I write that backs this up as well as talking to a Kiwi couple writing a cruising giude. We did our cruising in 2011 and didn't experience these problems. Maybe this is a result of lower cruiser numbers and is a misguided attempt to maximise the return to villages.
If $10 to walk on a beach is true, those costs add up to the average person. $20 taxi rides? Come on. On our budget, it's unfortunate to have to pass on by, but there are thousands of cheaper places that are just as beautiful

Tags
Vanuatu