Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-03-2016, 08:40   #1

Boat: TBD
Puget Sound Charter

We are in the final stages of preparing to shove off, hopefully in January. We had been planning on getting a catamaran, but are looking at a mono because it would give us an extra margin of financial safety and allows us to not have to worry so much about splurging on shore once in a while should the mood strike us. So we would like to charter a mono for a week. (We've been on smaller monos for shorter times, but want to see what it feels like with a family for longer, with no captain). We will be in Seattle in July, so we are thinking of bareboat chartering out of Anacortes for a week. So, my questions:

1) Weather-wise, is that a good time for sailing in that area? We can go anywhere for the rest of the year, would it be better somewhere else?

2) Our goal would be to anchor out part-time, and maybe visit a marina 2 or 3 of the nights -- how is that area for both of those?

3) Is there an issue with being so close to the Canadian border so that our only choice is to go south? (I can't imagine the charter companies like their boats leaving the country.) Will we feel limited?

4. Is there a better place to charter in the Seattle area given our goal of anchoring out, maybe exploring some parks, etc?

NOTE: No mono vs cat discussion, I've read them, been on both types, and know the trade-offs!
Old 28-03-2016, 15:51   #2

Re: Puget Sound Charter

Weekday bump for visibility....
Old 28-03-2016, 17:22   #3

Boat: Chris White Voyager 48

If you can find a bareboat charter out of Anacortes or Bellingham, you'll be right next door to the San Juan Islands. This is considered the premier cruising area in the PNW. You're also very close to the Gulf Islands of Canada. Check with the charter operator, but I'd be surprised if you couldn't work out a deal to cross into Canada.

Lots of marinas: Friday Harbor, Deer Harbor, Roche Harbor and on and on.
Also lots of parks: Parks Bay (close to Friday Harbor) and Cornet Bay (inside Deception Pass) come to mind. Really, the area has tons of places to drop the hook.

So in July maybe not too much wind although there could be westerlies in Juan De Fuca Strait in the afternoon. Expect a lot of company as well.

With a week to play with, you've got time to check out Port Townsend as well.

This would be a dream trip for a lot of people

Cheers,

I
Old 28-03-2016, 18:51   #4

Boat: Tartan 30 & Columbia 26

I keep my boat in Anacortes and I know the San Juans well. Jdazey is correct, boating paradise with your choice of anchoring in a gorgeous cove or berthing at a nice marina every day. The Gulf Islands of Canada are the same way, and most charter companies have no problem with their boats bouncing across the border.

If you choose to do this, I'd be happy to help you with your itinerary for the week. But my favorite trips through the islands typically have no itinerary. We decide over a cup of coffee in the morning where we want to go next. You do have to keep in mind that where you go at any particular day/time is dictated by the currents, but they're very predictable with the right charts or apps.
wristwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2016, 20:12   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hblask View Post
We are in the final stages of preparing to shove off, hopefully in January.
From where do you plan on shoving off in January? Have you checked the pilot charts? Have you read World Cruising Routes by Jimmy Cornell?
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2016, 06:47   #6

Thanks for the info -- it sounds perfect. By 'not much wind', does that mean 'you'll have to motor', or 'sailing will be possible but slow'?
Old 29-03-2016, 06:49   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
From where do you plan on shoving off in January? Have you checked the pilot charts? Have you read World Cruising Routes by Jimmy Cornell?
We are open to pretty much anything, but figured we'd spend the first couple of years doing the east cost, Caribbean, and Gulf of Mexico. The sailing is easy, there are lots of destinations, and lots of boats available. But we don't have an agenda, we're just ready to be free and sail. If we found the perfect boat on the west coast, I could be convinced to do that instead.
Old 29-03-2016, 10:07   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hblask View Post
Thanks for the info -- it sounds perfect. By 'not much wind', does that mean 'you'll have to motor', or 'sailing will be possible but slow'?
You will probably do a great of of motoring. Be aware of tides and currents in this area. They may dictate your itinerary.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charter, puget sound