Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-11-2007, 11:46   #16

Hey Steve! - long time... I went kayaking with you ages ago out on Lake Union. What crazy project are you working on these days? (Crazy being a good thing)
wiseleyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2007, 11:50   #17

Boat: Outbound 44
Sounds like you had a great trip down. You made some real distance from the San Juans to Pt Ludlow in a short winter day - thank the currents. So what's your plans with the boat? Alaska maybe?

Paul L
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2007, 19:44   #18

Boat: Matsu, Columbia 34
Send a message via Skype™ to hallie
cool! really cool. (20 degrees, is that cool, or freezing?)

my sweetie also just got a boat, finally, this summer - after being boatless lo these many years since he came from the east coast and fond memories of sailing around narragansett bay were fading. sadly, so was his uncle bob - the man who was responsible in large part for the happy sailing memories. bob's gone now, but geordie and the new boat are making up for lost time.

i worry that the notoriously brutal pacific coast isn't making him quite as nervous as it should. you certainly got away with a brilliant stretch of weather, there. good on ya.

it was a hell of a blow here, those few days in december. i'm just glad as hell no one i know had to be out in it. *shudders*

when people lost sight of the way to live came codes of love and honesty
~Lao Tsu

life is dangerous and always ends in death.
hallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2007, 20:20   #19

Boat: Vic Franck Delta 50
Voice from the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseleyb View Post
Hey Steve! - long time... I went kayaking with you ages ago out on Lake Union. What crazy project are you working on these days? (Crazy being a good thing)
HI Ben! Missed this when you posted... good memories of kayaking through the Seattle locks in '04! They sure look different from the perspective of a 16-ton steel 44' steel pilothouse cutter...

I just got a Hobie i12s inflatable to serve as the escape pod from the rigors of Nomadness; haven't even gotten it wet yet. Let's get on the water again!

Hallie - glad you made it through the windstorms OK! I have a webcam on my boat; when it blows, I peek via a browser to make sure the view out the pilothouse windows isn't changing too much....

Cheers,
Steve
Old 27-12-2007, 20:30   #20

Quote:
I have a webcam on my boat; when it blows, I peek via a browser to make sure the view out the pilothouse windows isn't changing too much....
that is so smart! man, i've gotta get me one of them.

of course, mine would have to have sound - the only damage Matsu got in the storm (and it was the one before) was beating herself on the deck with a car from the jib rigging (i barely know what i'm talking about here, but i think i have that right) so i dunno how much good a cam alone would have done... but geordie's frantic when it's blowing and he's not out on the boat, anyway. really. he's just about catatonic, if he can't be out on the boat. but we get out there, the wind is howling, and the neighbor's halyards are banging against their masts, and he sleeps like the dead. honk...shuuuu.... honk shuuuu... *i* am the one who can't sleep, for the noise and the thumping around! well, and because we're in dock and the V berth means that i rock from side to side, which feels like someone trying to roll me out of bed. i can't sleep like that. so i thrash around until i'm about sideways and geordie's stuffed into the narrow end of the berth. but he snores on.

i'm sure i violated some commandment here about staying on-topic. it's my worst crime, actually.

~Lao Tsu

Old 27-12-2007, 21:37   #21

Boat: Sceptre 41
Thanks for the link. Sounds like a nice trip. Why didn't you turn the heater on?

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2007, 21:44   #22

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Originally Posted by hallie View Post
i'm sure i violated some commandment here about staying on-topic. it's my worst crime, actually.
Only for the legalistic!

Not to worry, we all drift off course once in a while. This is a community not a research library. Although, I believe there is more info here on boats then any library around. As long as the subject stays on boats and cruising everybody stays happy.

BTW Welcome aboard. It's good to see another PNW sailor. And it's good to here you survived another N. Pacific storm. Last year it was the new Catamaran that washed up on the Oregon coast that awaken the boating community.

As for the sleep, good Ole Salts always sleep well on a moving, noisy boats. It's when it stops, that one will awaken and wonder what's wrong.

:cubalibre ................................_/)
Old 28-12-2007, 09:11   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"
No doubt. After time on the boat, I have a heckuva time sleeping ashore.
CharlieCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2007, 11:02   #24

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Congratulations. Looks like a great boat. Could you tell me what style anchor you used and what GPS and hookup/Nav program you used. How did it work?
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2007, 12:44   #25

oh, i sleep fine as long as i'm oriented correctly... i suppose if we were sailing, the suggested orientation in the v berth is right, as the bow is going up and down. but when we're docked, we're moving side to side instead of forward and back, and it's rather irritating; like being shoved. when i'm crosswise to the boat instead, i get that soothing seesaw motion and it's much nicer.

which just means we'll have to get going to... somewhere, eh? heh! like mexico. i've about had it with 40 degrees and raining. already.

~Lao Tsu

Old 28-12-2007, 13:24   #26

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Originally Posted by hallie View Post
oh, i sleep fine as long as i'm oriented correctly... i suppose if we were sailing, the suggested orientation in the v berth is right, as the bow is going up and down. but when we're docked, we're moving side to side instead of forward and back, and it's rather irritating; like being shoved. when i'm crosswise to the boat instead, i get that soothing seesaw motion and it's much nicer.

i've about had it with 40 degrees and raining. already.
You might try using spring lines and a softer fender. A couple bouncy balls work real good for a tight system.

What? Don't you like being rained on with ice water? We were getting hit with slush balls yesterday morning.

Tags
seattle