Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-06-2016, 21:01   #1

Boat: Ericson 35-2
PNW to California - stopover after shakedown cruise

I'm sailing around Vancouver Island counterclockwise for a shakedown cruise, then going south to California. Need to stop for a couple of weeks in some boatyard / chandlery kind of place to deal with whatever problems pop up during the shakedown cruise.

Where should I stop, and where should I clear into US after that?

My current answer is a) some marina in Victoria, b) Roche Harbor (San Juan) or Port Angeles.

This obviously means passing Juan de Fuca Strait twice. Is there a better way?
RedHerring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2016, 21:09   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: SS Crocker design #131
Re: PNW to California - stopover after shakedown cruise

Clear in at Port Angeles and then pop over to Port Townsend for boatyard work -- either DIY or yard work you can get either done. JMO. We loved the west coast of Vancouver Island--great place enjoy it!
Old 29-06-2016, 07:45   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Roche has some marine services, but not a lot. Friday Harbor has more services and some local marine supply stores, so if your needs are minor you may be able to take care of them there. Otherwise, Port Townsend or Anacortes are the places to go.

But Port Townsend is not a U.S. Port of Entry. Roche, Friday Harbor, Anacortes, or Port Angeles are where you will need to check in.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2016, 18:30   #4

Boat: Ericson 35-2

Thanks for replies.

So, there is no place to get boat work done to the west of Juan de Fuca? And is there a reason to prefer ports on the US side (Anacortes or Port Townsend) to Victoria?
RedHerring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2016, 08:44   #5

Boat: Brewer designed Pacific 43 in fiberglass. Center cockpit set up for long-distance single handing.

I recommend clearing in at Astoria on the Columbia River and hauling either in Astoria or Illwako both great facilities.
seasick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2016, 09:05   #6

Boat: fusion 40 cat/ jeaneau 45.2 sun oddessy

hi You might want to look at Sydney( a subburb north east of Victoria)good services and is located at the Victoria airport, Also Steveston on the Vancouver side has everything as well, and a little north of there is Nanaimo also a couple of good yards there. It might be an idea to use a cdn yard as the USD/CDN dollar advantage is very good right now. A little farther north on the inland side is Campbell River as well. Hope this helps And checkout waggoneer guide it has most places listed.
bmax242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2016, 09:23   #7

Boat: Northwest 21 & Islander 36 (too many boats problem)

Ilwaco has a nice and cheap DIY boatyard (we paid $400/month including haulout with electricity back in 2012), but the nearest big chandlery is Englund Marine over in Astoria, which is a drive away. (wait, I'm wrong. There's another Englund a short walk away from the boatyard, I forgot). You'd also need to cross the Columbia River Bar, which is not ideal if you can avoid it. Another option might be Newport, Oregon 100 miles south of Astoria. I don't know what haulout facilities they have, but there are plenty of dock slips and there are a couple chandleries on the bayfront.

Anybody know anything about Gray's Harbor or Westport facilities?
Old 30-06-2016, 09:26   #8

Boat: Chung Hwa Boat Builders, Magellan 36

Grays Harbor, Washington. Don't know if it is a port of entry but nice boatyard there
foufou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2016, 09:37   #9

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer

Depending on what type of work you need, should check out Tofino and Uculet. Both have serious boating communities, and Canadian dollar prices. You wouldn't have to do Juan de Fuca at all head straight out to the 125, and follow it down to San Francisco as your Port of entry into the US.
Old 30-06-2016, 09:42   #10

Boat: Rafiki 37

Sidney (just north of Victoria) or Port Townsend probably your best bets for work. Both have a lot of marine shops.
Old 30-06-2016, 09:59   #11

Crossing the straight is not normally much of an issue. Fog maybe. But yeah, services / parts are limited. Port Townsend or Friday harbor I suppose. Or Anacortes if you want to go that far. Realistically, if you don't need anything after your rounding of Van isle just head south, it will avoid a lot of miles.
Don't know if there is much for hardware etc in Port Angeles? You could always stop there avoiding fighting tides currents etc and rent a car for a day to go to Port Townsend etc.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2016, 10:06   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: SS Crocker design #131

Some Canadians have been hassled for not checking in until San Francisco. You can check in at Aberdeen/Grays Harbor.

It's not a big deal to go in and out the Strait so I'd stick with something like Port Angeles checkin Port Townsend working location. Convenience of parts is huge. You can anchor off PT for free while you get any needed parts together as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 30-06-2016, 10:09   #13

Boat: prairie32 cutter

If you meed to go on the hard in PT be prepared for a long wait this time of year.
Port Angeles had a good yard but bery limited on site supplies. there is a small Business that is sipplied by fisheries.
All those spots up along Vancouver Island are great but that at the begining of your cruise.
if you havent had any issues head on down to Frisco. no customs checkin along most of Or coast except Astoria.
the bar crossing is no big deal if you pick weather and tides
Old 30-06-2016, 10:30   #14

Boat: Norseman 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasick View Post
I recommend clearing in at Astoria on the Columbia River and hauling either in Astoria or Illwaco both great facilities.
We hauled out and lived aboard in the Astoria Boatyard for two months (July August 2015) while we did bottom work/paint and installed a fridge/freezer system. Steve, the yard manager, is a great guy and will help steer you in the right direction for parts and supplies. There is an Englund Marine just across the street from the boat yard. Convenient, but expensive on some things. If you go, don't miss the Portway Tavern. At the time, they had 4-star food - in a pub. Excellent.

Keep in mind you have to cross the Columbia River Bar - twice - to get in and then leave. It can be pretty rough. But, I've seen it relatively completely fat on some days too. (Rarely.) It's not a bar I'd venture across if I needed serious boat repairs. Make sure you heed the Coast Guard advice regarding the Bar Report. On approach, you should might be able to get cell coverage (wifi hot spot) to get the latest bar conditions.

We posted a few videos on YouTube videos that show crossing the bar (part of it) in our Norseman 400.

Other stops with service along the Oregon coast include Newport and Charleston/Coos Bay. Be sure to do some Dungeness crabbing off the dock at Charleston, which you will pass on your way into Coos Bay.

Fuel: Charleston has a big fishing fleet and had the cheapest price for diesel along the entire west coast of the US and Mexico. In 2015, it was $2.29 a gallon. At the fuel dock.

Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2013.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	430.3 KB
ID:	127191   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2015.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	412.2 KB
ID:	127192  

Sailor647 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2016, 10:39   #15

Boat: Norseman 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHerring View Post
Thanks for replies.

So, there is no place to get boat work done to the west of Juan de Fuca? And is there a reason to prefer ports on the US side (Anacortes or Port Townsend) to Victoria?
There is no sales tax in Oregon. So, everything you buy (all goods and services) is automatically 8-10% less expensive than in Washington or California.

Plus, you can live on your boat while it's on the hard in the yard, saving on hotel bills. It's a dry yard (no water), but it has a porta-potty on site and shower facilities available at the Marina next door.

Port of Astoria - Boatyard Rates
Sailor647 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, california, cruise