Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 12-08-2007, 20:51   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cascade, Sloop, 42 - "Casual"
Amgine,
If I can travel all the way from Hawaii at least you can go a few miles and do it!!
Hope they have a beer tent.
Christie and I are anxious to go up to Vancouver after the boat show and check out the city. You'll be on your exciting transit to Astorie. Christie's never been and wants to use her newly acquired passport. Can you mention a couple of "must see" things? I remember a beautiful park and Grouse Mountain but can't remember much else. The last time for me was in the 70s.
JohnL

Old 12-08-2007, 21:14   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sceptre 41
Amgine:

Astoria is a pretty inexpensive place to keep the boat. I thinkthat for a 41' boat that it will cost under $200. With the exchange rate the way it is and the cost of berthing in BC you could probably keep the boat in Oregon for a fraction of the cost of keeping it on the Sunshine coast. I'm keeping it there because I need to take the boat to California so I just want to get it closer.

Skpr John:
I should make it into Port Townsend on Sep 8th too. I'm not much of a drinker but we should get together for a beer. I'll be dropping off one crew (The Family) and picking up another (freinds) to sail to Astoria OR with. I better look into reserving a moorage spot in Port Townsend if the wooden boat show is that weekend.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 22:33   #18

Tourism Vancouver!

Oy!

Well, remembering we're recent arrivals here ourselves, refugees from the USA, I'd be pointing you to a list of fine restaurants. However, there *are* a few things to see in town...

Stanley Park is a big draw, which has a mystique for the city similar to New York City's Central Park, but is in fact a micro old-growth forest in the midst of a reasonably major metropolis, much tamed and frilled with exciting additions (the famous sea wall path around the park was severely damaged with this past winter's hurricane-strength storms, and is still undergoing restoration, but there are some really nice bits.) Incidentally, within the park are two mighty fine places to eat if you have generous dinner budgets: the Fishhouse in Stanley Park and the Sequoia Grill at the Teahouse, the latter of which has a beautiful view over English Bay for romantic sunset dinners.

If you have time, the Museum of Anthropology at the University of British Columbia on Point Grey is a good way to lose an entire day learning about the coast Salish peoples of North America. Unlike many other tribal groups, the aboriginals of this area began their relationship with European nations from a position of strength: the Nootka captured a British trader ship, and made deals with the Spanish and English who were carefully dancing about each other rather than focusing on cheating the locals. The Museum carefully documents the rich history of a region where the natives were not decimated and forced to move away but are vibrant and present elements of the current communities and cultures.

China town, just west of the city's core, tries to maintain it's character as a colony of the first Republic of China, but is still a changing and evolving community assimilating the large influx of Hong Kong emigres. The chinese communities are part of the larger asian presence in Vancouver; more than half of the population of the city is of asian ethnicities, with the largest cultural groups being Chinese and Indian, but strong communities of Japanese, Malay, Vietnamese, and others maintain their identities within the city. If you love asian cuisine, you may have found heaven.

Granville Island, in the False Creek inlet, is an arts colony and tourism mecca. The island was a run-down port/fish market/industrial park before being massively altered in the 70s and 80s to a theatre district and arts colony with a famous day market where you can purchase fish fresh off the boats next to bakery goods, imported delicacies, or crafts. Needless to say there are a selection of fine dining and fast food joints, even a hotel with a small number of slips, pubs and the moderately well-known Granville Brewery. (False Creek itself is the site of an on-going legal battle targeting illegally anchored vessels, many of which are derelict but a number of them are live-aboards who are fighting for the right to live in an increasingly impossibly expensive housing market.)

Vancouver is a port city, the largest port on the west coast after Los Angeles. Vancouver Harbour is huge, with several different port facilities, and would make a great boat tour. The city has a long history of working with its waterways, and has boat buses connecting to the north shore of Vancouver Harbour, back and forth along the downtown and False Creek waterfront, including to Granville Island. Some boat buses allow bicycles; there are many places to rent cycles, the city is riddled with bike routes, buses and the skytrain carry cycles, and they're often the cheapest way to get around. I believe you can use boat buses to get to Gas Town, an interesting section of town given over to stylishness and antiques, design and retail. Check out some of the character pubs and coffee shops, but realize it's a place designed to part money and its owners.

The one thing the city lacks, imo, is an area focused on yachting. I could give you a few places to look, but there's really no one place with a critical mass of chandleries, boat builders, and boat dealers. There's a maritime museum on the shore of English Bay, but I can't say I've actually been to it.

Depending on your time and budget, I could give more advice. I'd suggest, however, that you find a comfortable place to stay, surf the web to find the restaurants you want to eat at (if you couldn't guess, this is a priority for me) and arrange your days to end up near/at fine eating establishments. It makes each day end on a positive note, hopefully sundowners on the deck overlooking the water...

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog anchored in a coral atoll.
Amgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 22:40   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie
Astoria is a pretty inexpensive place to keep the boat. I thinkthat for a 41' boat that it will cost under $200.
Wow! Yes, that would be immensely less than I've been expecting to pay. Unfortunately, I have a couple of big jobs I've been planning to do over the winter... not sure I could afford to stay in Astoria while getting them done. (although, to be honest, it would be a huge early step on my voyage to Hawai'i which is what the repairs are to prepare for.)

I may have to reconsider things. Do you think you could message me with more info about where you're going to haul out?

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog anchored in a coral atoll.
Amgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2007, 21:58   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sceptre 41
Amgine:
Here is a link to the place where I hope to keep my boat in Astoria OR Port of Astoria, Astoria OR Oregon, Clatsop County I don't know much about it but have had one person tell me it is real nice.

Skpr J: I'm not much of a drinker anymore but I'll buy you a beer if we get together at the wooden boat show. I'm going to call tommorrow and see if I can reserve moorage. I'll be switching dropping the Family and picking up friends that will help me sail to Astoria.

BTW I think Vancouver is a marvelous place but can also recommend Victoria. It is much smaller and you have alot of things that you can do within walking distance: Maritime museum, Royal BC museum (currently has a display of the titantic), Empress Hotel, Street Performers, and quite a bit else.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2007, 02:29   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cascade, Sloop, 42 - "Casual"
Thanks Charlie for the info and the offer. We'll keep in touch.

JohnL

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: