Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2011, 15:29   #1

Boat: Nordlund 61'
Physical Security in Mexico - How Safe Is it ?

We are talking about sending the boat down on Dockwise or Yatchpath and keeping her in La Paz Mexico. My wife is concerned about physical security. I looked into gun laws in mexico and buying or having some form of firearm sure looks to be out of the question. So here's my question: How safe is it??? We'll likely stay to the western side of the Sea of Cortez which inutitively feels safer to me. What are your thoughts my helpful cyber boating fraternity???
quiet storm is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-05-2011, 16:11   #2

Re: Physical Security in Mexico - how safe is it???

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet storm View Post
We are talking about sending the boat down on Dockwise or Yatchpath and keeping her in La Paz Mexico. My wife is concerned about physical security. I looked into gun laws in mexico and buying or having some form of firearm sure looks to be out of the question. So here's my question: How safe is it??? We'll likely stay to the western side of the Sea of Cortez which inutitively feels safer to me. What are your thoughts my helpful cyber boating fraternity???
If you are not dealing drugs, buying drugs, selling drugs....

and also not wandering the streets in an intoxicated state....

you will have fun....

Best
h20man is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-05-2011, 16:15   #3

Boat: Beneteau 34'
I wouldn't go anywhere that I had to stay on a side that is "safer". If you contemplating degrees of safety why go at all?

Isn't there anywhere else that would give you the experience you are looking for?
Sailagain is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-05-2011, 16:16   #4

Boat: 34ft. Catalina 1989
Send a message via Skype™ to pdnervo

wow, fun without drugs, or alcohol ... very novel in today's world... but I'm all for it...
Old 07-05-2011, 16:23   #5

Boat: J40 #33 since 1987

Baja Insider at The Online Magazine for Traveling and Living in Baja is worth a look, including their article on Travel Warnings in Perspective. Haven't heard much reported by all the cruisers currently on the West coast of Mexico. Another source from those actually down there would be Latitude 38 Latitude 38 - The West's Leading Sailing and Marine Magazine which provides their magazine (searchable) for free download online as well as electronic updates.
sded is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-05-2011, 16:29   #6

Boat: Marine Trader 40' Sedan Trawler, 1978. WATER TORTURE

oh, it's terrible! Piracy and lawlessness abound! Don't go! Stay in the USA.

In fact, sell your boat and get some golf clubs. Golf courses are very safe places.

What ever you do, don't go to Mexico! They speak a different language for cryin out loud. And.... and... they have their own laws that are different than ours. Can you imagine?? I have even heard rumors that they charge to enter their country, but don't know how that could be.
Old 07-05-2011, 16:46   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

Sarcasm aside.... I've found a lot of the touristy places to have very good police coverage and locals are indoctrinated as to the value of good tourist relations. BUT away from those areas seedy parts of town are just the same as here. Just use good sense as you would at home as to where and when you travel about.
Old 07-05-2011, 16:57   #8
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Here's where the US Department of State gives their opinion about travel to Mexico:
Mexico
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-05-2011, 16:59   #9

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Capngeo said it succinctly.

We felt safer in Mexico than we did in Seattle.

Just don't be an idiot or flash jewelry, smile, slow down and you'll have a great time.

If you can speak a little Spanish, it's also a good way to get to know locals.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-05-2011, 17:35   #10

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A

There are precious few towns in the Sea of Cortez, hence little crime. Many, Many cruisers spend the rest of their life in the Sea of Cortez, and enjoy every minute!
Even if you're headed for Panama or the South Pacific, do stop for a season in the Sea of Cortez.

I always laugh at the fear generated by reports of crime in Mexico. Would you refuse to visit Yosemite National Park, or Northren Califoriia based on reports of gang wars in East LA?
John A is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-05-2011, 17:53   #11

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

Safer than dealing with banks in the US.

I travel to LA and the East Bay around San Francisco often. I feel a lot safer in Mexico.
My experiences are different than some people's. My family looks different than yours. I am built like a pit bull, my wife has pink & purple & blue & green hair, and my kid is a dwarf, so people already don't know how to take us. I think that bandits would be looking more for an accountant & librarian looking family, not one like mine.
I can tell you this- everyone in Mexico is nicer to kids with disabilities than they are here.
sww914 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 21-06-2011, 02:53   #12

Boat: Irwin 43
Re: Physical Security in Mexico - How Safe Is it ?

We came to Mexico in October 2010 and are just finishing our first season of cruising in the sea of cortez.......to worry about safety in this part of Mexico is about as foolish as worrying about gravity not working and your boat falling off the face of the earth. In La Paz there is Costa Baja, a 5 star marina with more security and amenities than any marina I've seen in the states. The anchorages on the islands are clean, quite and pristine.

You will be amazed that the overwhelming beauty.......
TugTubPaul is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 21-06-2011, 03:50   #13

Boat: Far East Mariner 40

quiet storm, might be better to google Mexico violence and start monitoring what news of things going on there is being allowed out. On this site I had a post about attacks in popular tourist areas there removed by the mod's. and I was told by a mod via pm that this type of thing is not directly related to cruising. So, yeah the whole country is as safe as in Monterray, the richest city in Mexico. Check out what's going on there.
Old 21-06-2011, 04:55   #14
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailagain View Post
I wouldn't go anywhere that I had to stay on a side that is "safer". If you contemplating degrees of safety why go at all?

Isn't there anywhere else that would give you the experience you are looking for?
Have you ever been to New York, S.F., Miami, St. louis, and any other city in America? Small towns included can be dangerous. America is not all that safe of a place to be in many places, and yes across the tracks can be the dividing line. That's just a plain infair statement to make......i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 21-06-2011, 04:59   #15

Boat: Far East Mariner 40

Princess Cruises has cut calls to Puerto Vayarta and Mazatlan for the remainder of 2011 citing safety concerns. Boy are they dumb.

Tags
Mexico, security, mexico