Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-06-2011, 20:23   #31

Re: Physical Security in Mexico - How Safe Is it ?

I spent 2 weeks in Isla Mujeres last month, on land, alas I still have no boat. I felt very safe and welcome 24/7. As has been stated, the mexican people are very welcoming and helpful. This is the 4th time I have spent time in Mexico, usually between Merida, Cancun, and Isla Mujeres. I have never felt the least bit threatened in any way. Go. Be respectful of the culture and people and you will have a great time. That being said, if you feel the need to seek out the drug traders, you may very well get more that you bargain for.
RestlessWind is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 28-06-2011, 20:36   #32

Boat: Far East Mariner 40

There was once a missionary who arrived at a village of natives on the edge of a river. The place was barren, the natives lived in mud huts and had little to eat and no clean water. On the other side of the river was lush jungle with fruit hanging from the trees and teeming with wildlife. The missionary asked the chief why they didn't go across the river to live and the chief said it was too dangerous. the missionary said, "Nonsense!", stripped off his shirt and shoes, jumped in the river and swam to the other side. The natives all cheered when he stood on the bank on the other side. He jumped back in and swam back across. The natives all cheered and the chief asked him if he might touch his magic white skin. The missionary said, "My skins not magic". The chief said, "It must be. If one of us had tried that the crocodiles would have eaten him.".
My recent experience in mexico is from Reynosa, Tamaulipas, The Huasteco area, San Luis Potos, and Michoacan.
Old 28-06-2011, 22:57   #33

Boat: Ed Monk designed 34' Sloop Second Wind

I am a frequent Baja traveler by motorcycle. I was in La Paz and Loreto this past February. Rode the length of Baja from SD to Cabo and back. Never a problem. Friendly people outside of the tourist destinations. I wouldn't recommend hanging around TJ but the rest is just peachy. Love La Paz.
Ironhorse74 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 28-06-2011, 23:17   #34

Boat: Ed Monk designed 34' Sloop Second Wind

I forgot to mention that I did see a tragedy in Baja. A Tecate beer truck rolled over a cliff. The entire hillside was littered with beer cans. When we came back a few days later, there was not a beer can to be seen. Just proving that the Mexican people are environmentally conscious.

Ironhorse74 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 28-06-2011, 23:21   #35

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,

The majority of Mexicans are warm-hearted and proud to be hospitable. A few jerks do the macho thing. Mexico has good places and bad places -- some of them might be almost as bad as some places in the USA. And, yes, it is different -- cultural traditions, values, the justice system, how work gets done -- so some flexibility and willingness to learn and adapt is a wonderful help.
Old 28-06-2011, 23:41   #36

You don't want or need to pack any heat on the boat.
Endless hassles, red tape & regulations.
You wont need it unless you plan on hunting or the aforementioned drug running.
Americans have kind of a reputation as gun nuts. Don't be a stereo type.
spostamento nobile is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 23-07-2011, 14:34   #37

My husband and I are on the USSV Gone Bambu traveling Mexico. We spent a week at Marina de La Paz last month (June). We used an agent and found checking in the country to be simple although it took a full 7 days to get all the documents. Adriana, in the marina office, was a huge help and speaks English fluently. The marina itself is gated, safe, and security guards are all around but not intrusive. Los Cruceros is an expat hang out and they have an open library, you can check out movies, and monitor channel 21 (or 22) for the local info. Nice places to eat within walking distance of the marina. Banditos is a must. No need for a weapon of any kind. Better off not having it on the boat. We thought about holing up there for the hurricane season but had friends and family wanting to come to Puerto Vallarta so that is where we are now.
darrellsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 23-07-2011, 16:19   #38

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

IMHO, we gringos could take a few lessons on life from our friends south of the border. You don't see 'gangbanger' wanna be's going to school or hanging out on street corners with their pants around their knees 'lookin' cool'. The kids in PV and Mazatlan, even though they may live in homes with dirt floors, send their kids to public school, clean, in white shirts and blue shorts with the little rucksacks. If there is a behavior problem at school, the kid isn't disciplined, the parent is called to school to deal with it. Imagine if mom or dad in the US was required to come to the school everytime their kid misbehaved. The Mexican parents have to leave work to attend to the problem. As a result it rarely happens twice!
There is a work ethic in Mexico that is admirable mainly because there is no safety net, they don't know what an entitlement attitude is. They want to eat... they need to work. Period. The only beggars you see are the indigenous indians, mostly from Chiapas, who are permitted by the government and their fellow Mexican citizens to solicit.
Politeness, respect and a reserved friendliness are attributes held in high esteem by virtually every Mexican I have ever met, qualities sadly lacking in most cosmopolitan areas of the US.
Sure, there is crime and a violent criminal element in Mexico, but the number of solid, hard working folks south of the border far outnumber the bad ones. The most violence I ever experienced was in Ensenada and PV when the cruise ship arrived and the drunken Americans hit the bars and tourist clubs.
Personally, I've felt far more threatened in LA and New York than in Mazatlan, PV or Manzanillo. Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 23-07-2011, 17:11   #39
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

One doesn't see much of Mexico from a gated community or a locked marinas--that is for the skeereded to deathers out there but Mexico isn't bad for touristas, is bad for those with firearms and with attachments to Mexican mafia or with drugs or crime.

Tourists are safer in mexico than in big usa cities.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 23-07-2011, 17:15   #40

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

You got that right, 'Zee'! That is a quick way to get your boat siezed and spend some time in a delightful Mexican prison... and they don't have TV or TP... Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 23-07-2011, 23:02   #41

We were in P.V as tourists for an extended period this past winter and one day walking on the beach got talking with a beach vendor. He was telling me that everyone one of his 3 kids was going to some sort of post secondary education. Sure he was working on the beach but he made damn sure his kids would not have to.

Tell me that Mexicans are lazy and its dangerous and I will point to all the people like Jose the beach vendor who are working hard to get ahead for their families. Be honest, be fair, say please and thank you and smile a lot and you will be fine.
rallyman1122 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 24-07-2011, 01:06   #42

Boat: 1984 Cal 31

My experience is less than many on this site, but I follow press reports very closely, as we (my family) are considering retiring there in a few years. We regularly vacation in PV and have some thoughts about security. You could stay in a fancy resort and never have an issue. However, it would be boring after a few days. Whenever we go, we stay in a local, downtown hotel for a few days, enjoying the local sights and smells. Then it is off to the fancy beach area.

First, about PV - stay away! There is way too much beautiful sand, sun, and fun there and we don't want to share. Seriously, though, look at the road networks. PV is not on an inland smuggling route and the local port doesn't do anything commercial except small fishing boats. Since the tourist trade is THE big money in PV, all the locals have an active interest in keeping bad influences away. The local cops are actually pretty good. Crime is low, to include issues like drunk driving, due to very aggressive enforcement. There is also an Army and Navy presence.

The marina has excellent security and great shopping. Many expats live in the marina area and really like it. However, if we retire to Mexico, we will probably live in Bucerias, a small town just up the road from PV, with another large expat community and away from the touristy craziness.

As for the rest of Mexico - well, it has been said. Stay away from the border towns. Stay off the secondary inland routes running N/S at night. If an area has had trouble, I wouldn't hang out there. Acupulco has had several hi-vis issues recently and is now a bit of a ghost-town, compared to its capacity. PV has been one tourist city making up the difference.

Bottom-line, don't let your imagination and the spotlighting of poor journalism keep you away from Mexico.

Steve
tankersteve is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 24-07-2011, 04:10   #43
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, darrellsmith., and tankersteve.

Thanks for the reports.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 24-07-2011, 04:37   #44

Boat: Leopard L38

Having lived in Mexico on two different occasions,I never had an issue where I felt unsafe or fearful. The people are wonderful and I made several life long friends.

My father pasted away in Bucerias in 2007 and I had the task of flying down to take care of the necessary details. Everyone involved in assisting me could not have more sympathetic and kind. My dad lived in Mexico for 19 years and loved it when he would venture back to the states it wasn't long before he was ready to head back to P.V.

The locals are kind,helpful and many have a wicked sense of humor. I cannot wait to get back down there and make many more great memories.
Phisher is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 24-07-2011, 06:32   #45

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

If you take a gun to Mexico, the authorities have a "gated community" waiting for you. The accommodations arent deluxe, but they will put you up for several months while they seize your boat.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Tags
Mexico, security, mexico