Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-08-2010, 01:09   #1

Boat: 1976 Pearson 26
Philippine Inquiry

I'm thinking of relocating to the Philippines and living on a sailboat there and could really use some help. I'm an American, 29 years old, with a job that allows me to move around. If you have any websites regarding sailboats currently for sale there or just friendly advice regarding sailing, buying, or just living on a boat there I'd appreciate it. I lived on a 26 ft Pearson for about 3 years in the states while attending school and want to get back on a boat in a few years now that my career is fairly stable. What does 30,000 - 40,000 USD get me in the Philippines? Anyone know anything about Subic Bay Yacht Club and keeping a boat there? I've visited the Philippines once and tried to see as much as I could, but I only had 2 weeks so other than picking up a sheet telling me the prices on that particular marina I don't know a whole lot.

I'm still searching the many pages of these forums for good advice and great information. I'm limited on just about everything (knowledge, money, ect.) but do have an abundance of curiosity and reading skills so any advice would be welcome.

Thanks!
C_Cross81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 18:23   #2
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Just google Philippine boatyard, Philippine sailing, and you will get a ton of information. For that kind of money you could probably get a boat built in the Phils. Especially near Cebu & a wee bit further west.......i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 18:30   #3
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Contact brokers in the area and ask them to search for you.

Hong Kong is not so far and probably more disposable boats there than in the Phils.... where it is cheap to keep one.

Singapore or Kota Kinabalu are other places to find unwanted boats
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 19:26   #4

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40 / Hatteras 48
I live in Hong Kong and have sailed to the Philippines. It's about a 4 day sail for the average cruiser.

Basically, you'll probably find more sailing boats on offer in Hong Kong - or Singapore. The price isn't going to vary that much as any really cheap boats get arbitraged to a higher priced market. The price range you've quoted is probably at the lower end of the brokers inventory so you'd be better off checking out the yacht club bulletin boards. In HK, US$40K will buy you a well maintained 30-35 ft Beneteau or Jeanneau from the late 90's. It would also buy you a similarly sized trawler style yacht built in Hong Kong or Taiwan.

I've been to Subic but I really don't know the costs of berthing there. However, I do know it's a good place to get work done on the boat. You might also want to check out the website for Puerto Gallera Yacht Club which is about 10 hours sailing time south of Subic. It's much more unspoilt but may not be a suitable location for you business wise.
muskoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 19:45   #5

Yes. I would think your curiosity is all you need. You'll probably need to ask around in the local cruiser scene. Like above: KK, HK, SIN, there must be boats for sale. I got mine in Johor. I'll be back in KK and Labuan in a few weeks. I'll check it out.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 21:32   #6

Boat: looking
Here's a couple of sites you may want to have a look at:

pinoyboats.org forum :: Index

ASIA - SAIL PHILIPPINES

As well as Singapore & HK, I'd suggest Thailand, for looking for a boat. Australia isn't that far, you could probably arrange delivery, but the prices are a bit "strong", relative to the U.S.

Mike
bangkaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 22:39   #7

Boat: 1976 Pearson 26
Wow, Thanks for all who replied. I didn't consider Hong Kong or Singapore. I'll have to go check those places out in person and see for myself.

I have the rates for Subic.

Annually for a "Member" it's about 82K Peso ($1750.00 USD or $145.00 USD monthly)

for non member annually it is 245,000.00 peso (435.00 USD monthly)

I wasn't able to figure out exactly what becoming a member cost or even entailed.

Since the flights to different Islands are not all that pricey from what I had seen I wouldn't mind living somewhere other than Luzon. Since I'll be leaving the boat there for at least a month at a time when I leave my main worry is security.

Those two links were exactly what I was looking for bangkaboat, thanks!

looks like I have a lot of reading to do. I didn't even consider getting a boat built. I didn't think the money I am willing to spend would be enough for that kind of service... even in the Philippines where my money goes a lot farther than I had ever imagined.
C_Cross81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 23:04   #8

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
You may want to know that the typhoon season starts in June and runs thru Oct. but then there are winter storms up until mid Jan. Most of which are North of the 14th parallel. This one violated the rules in 06.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Xangsane.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	262.2 KB
ID:	18375  
Old 11-08-2010, 06:50   #9
cruiser

Hi.

I'm from Philippines and I suggest that you wait till October, before you continue your plan, because right now there are typhoons heading here.
wengay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2010, 05:13   #10
Eternal Member

Once you are there in the Phils. The Gulf of Davao is typhoon free. They are building a new marina there also. I believe Ellen of sailsamal is working with the company. They have a yard, and are capable of lifting 45ft. cats.

The place is Carmen Bay near Cebu where they build cold molded boats & Wharrams. I am on a wifi in an anchorage, and can't get the site to come up. There to the west is a company called Tonga something that biuld in a very protected cove......i2f
Old 13-08-2010, 08:10   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
Once you are there in the Phils. The Gulf of Davao is typhoon free. They are building a new marina there also. I believe Ellen of sailsamal is working with the company. They have a yard, and are capable of lifting 45ft. cats.

The place is Carmen Bay near Cebu where they build cold molded boats & Wharrams. I am on a wifi in an anchorage, and can't get the site to come up. There to the west is a company called Tonga something that biuld in a very protected cove......i2f
Indeed!

New Boatyard in Samal, Gulf of Davao | SAIL SAMAL, PHILIPPINES

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2010, 05:30   #12
Eternal Member

Tongo Sail Inn Cruising-Sailing Catamaran Boat Builder

Here's the one I was looking for that wouldn't come up yesterday.

James Wharram Designs - Visit to Andy Smith Boatyard - Nov 2007

Be warned if you have fair skin, and light eyes. Those little brown women take preference to that! They might not let you out alive.....hehehehehehe.......i2f
Old 12-01-2011, 14:47   #13

Boat: custom teak ketch 48' Eastwind
Howdy!
My boat came from there - built in thialand in 41 - spent the war hiding in the jungle in the phillipenes - 48' ketch - I'll sell her to you and you can sail her home!
Geoduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2011, 04:18   #14

Boat: Freya 39
Re: Philippine Inquiry

I would think about Puerto Galera rather than Subic. Contact the Puerto Galera Yacht Club.
Teremoana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2011, 23:33   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Re: Philippine Inquiry

I go to Subic 2 or 3 time a year and always try and cruse the docks....Not sure why, but boats in Subic are very expensive.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote