Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-01-2007, 06:10   #1

Passage planning Hawaii-Sydney

G'day,

I am racing in the solo Transpac from San Francisco to Hanalei (Hawaii) in July next year and would like to cruise to Sydney (Australia) afterwards.

None of our local libraries have Ocean Passages of the World, so I was wondering if there is an on line equivalent? Failing this, where is the best web site to find weather and current information for this stretch of water at this time of year?

thanks for your help.

regards,

Rob Denney
Harryproa Home Page
rob denney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2007, 09:17   #2
smm

Boat: Farrier F41 Catamaran - Endless Summer
G'day Rob,

You can download pilot charts in pdf format at:

Maritime Safety Information

The paper versions are also available at most chart agents. They worked for me...

-Scott
smm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2007, 21:21   #3

Gimme a couple hours

If there's anything I haven't got online linked from Honolulu to Fiji, Australia, and New Zealand, I will try to get it transcribed. These are being transcribed from the 1954 edition (2nd edition) of Ocean Passages for the World. You may want to look at the index thus far, World ocean passages.

(and please feel free to work on the site as you wish... it's a public wiki.)

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog anchored in a coral atoll.
Amgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2007, 21:23   #4

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Are you doing that in your Proa Rob?

Dave
Old 30-01-2007, 23:32   #5

G'day,

Ta. Exactly what I wanted. Looks very possible, and certainly more fun and less money than sailing back to SF and shipping it back. May even call in to NZ en route.

Original plan was to race in an ultra light proa harryproa/solo transpac but this would be hard work cruising home, so we are looking at a stretched to 15m lee hull version of Harry harryproa / harry

Thanks again.

regards,

Rob
rob denney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 04:07   #6

I made the Hawai'i to NZ trip this past year. Still in NZ waiting out the cyclone season.
It's an easy sail to Fanning Island. You can stop in Palmyra but it's a little further west and will make your sail difficult to Fanning. You also need permission before you go so decide what you want to do. You will pass by Kingmans Reef, skirt this bt at least 3 miles as it's restricted and the charts are off. Fanning is a great place to stop over and visit, very primitive, no provisioning or fuel.
Your journey to FRP will take you close by Christmas Island but it's not a great place to stop. Try to make easting as much as possible. Guide book called for sailing 400 miles east before turning south to Tahiti, but you might as well go for the Marquesas if you go this far east. I just sailed the rhumb line, making some easting as I could, and had no trouble.
Normal routing is to enter FRP at Tahiti then head north through the islands, due to prevailing SE winds. You will be coming from the north so landfall and check in in Bora Bora. Beautiful lagoon but you'll miss the prime attraction...Heiva Festival. Don't moor at the Bora Bora Yacht Club. Continue on to Raiatea, Huahine and Tahiti to check out.
Next stop is Rarotonga. I'd spend just 2 days here. The harbor is terrible and you can tour the island in a day. The harbor fees are also riduculous and you'll have to move your boat everytime a cargo ship enters, no tto mention the regular swell that is present or the danger if the wind shifts direction. On to Aitutaki...beautiful lagoon, very beautiful island and people. Spend a couple of days, or more, here.
Palmerston is a good spot to snorkel or go direct to Niue. You'll love Niue and the amazing coral and water. You'll have to lift your dinghy up on the wharf using a crane (free) so have a bridle ready. Mooring is $10 a night and they are excellent. Niue Yacht Club are great hosts also. I can't say enough good things about Niue...only downside is if the wind is out of the west you MUST leave the harbor.
On to Tonga...Vava'u Group... Nieafu. There's about 180 islands in Tonga but you'll spend most of your time in the Vava'u group. Customs is corrupt and you must tie up to a commercial wharf which puts your boat into danger...once past this hurdle you can pick up a mooring ball from Beluga Diving, Sailing Safari or The Moorings. Places/Islands to see here are Kenutu, Blue Lagoon, Hunga, Nuku, Mariners Cave...a hundred things. You definetly need a GOOD guide book.
A lot of people go off to Fiji from Vava'u but they miss the splendor and people of the Ha'apai group. You are starting off a month late and will be running out of time. I recommend staying in Tonga travelling south through the islands and doing the final check out in Nuku'alofa.
The Ha'apai group is much more primitive, isolated villages on isolated islands. When you check in to Lifuka your boat will be the center of attention for the island. Lots of islands and places to see here also. Take fishing line, old rope, hooks, etc. Everything is hard to get in Ha'apai.

So much to talk about...
Kapena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 04:19   #7

Last thing....Water will be unavailable everywhere except a few places. Make sure you have a GOOD watermaker.
Water is hard to find in Bora Bora, Raiatea, Huahine. Available in Papaette (dock), Rarotonga (jerry cans, if it rains), Aitutaki (jerry cans, if it rains), and Niue (jerry cans, difficult due to launching dinghy from crane on wharf). Nieafu has water available at Sailing Safari. Nuku'alofa has water available at the fuel dock. Fanning Island has no water. Nor does the rest of Tonga.
Have a good watermaker...IT's IMPORTANT!
Old 01-02-2007, 07:01   #8

citation...

Kapena, mind if I cite your above comments? Can you give me dates when you moved through those islands? (month/year)

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog anchored in a coral atoll.
Amgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 14:19   #9

Hawai'i to:
Fanning Island June 2006.
FRP June-July 2006
Cook Islands July-Aug 2006
Palmerston Aug 2006
Niue Aug 2006
Tonga Vava'u Group Sept-Oct 2006
Tonga Ha'apai Group Oct 2006
Tongatapu Nov 2006
New Zealand Nov 2006
Old 20-04-2007, 16:14   #10

Boat: Atlantic 42 Catamaran
If I were doing this I'd consider going to the Line islands (I've been to Christmas, Fanning and Palmyra and like Fanning best but they're all good), Kanton in the Phonex group (if you're totally self-sufficient), Apia Samoa, Fiji, Vanuatu, New Cal, Coffs and then Sydney.

Some notes: You will have trades down most of the way to the line islands, but the run from the Lines to the Phonex group is all convergence zone. There is a helpful current, but you can get better winds by skipping Kanton and going Samoa direct. You should pick up the SE trades around Samoa and have them for the rest of the trip.

You will be leaving Hawaii in the storm season. Tropical storms pass south of the islands regularly. You will need to keep a good eye on the weather. Later in the year (by the end of August) storms are forming South and even West of the Hawaiian islands and may well be a danger on your route south. Look both ways before crossing.

If you intend to spend a lot of time in Northern Vanuatu think about what you want to do about malaria.

There are some other neat places that I haven't visited on the way so I haven't mentioned them. Do your own discovery!

The Southwest Pacific and Coral Sea hold some of the most wonderful cruising grounds in the world. Take your time.

Cheers,

-- Tom.
tsmwebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2017, 06:58   #11

Re: Passage planning Hawaii-Sydney

I just noticed this thread. I'm interested crossing the Pacific on a catamaran from San Francisco Golden Gate to Sydney Harbour Bridge visiting the Cook Islands. If you or someone you know does, please get in touch and let me know!
Kind regards,
Rob Waterlander
Info@robwaterlander.com
RobW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2017, 07:51   #12
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobW View Post
I just noticed this thread. I'm interested crossing the Pacific on a catamaran from San Francisco Golden Gate to Sydney Harbour Bridge visiting the Cook Islands. If you or someone you know does, please get in touch and let me know!
Kind regards,
Rob Waterlander
Info@robwaterlander.com
Howdy Rob.

What follows is written in a friendly tone of voice and simply meant to help.

From your post above, it is unclear whether you mean to sail on your own boat or on someone else's boat. It might help you get the answers you want if you clarify. I would also mention the season or month you plan to go, and what type of cat, etc.

Hope that helps.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2017, 16:29   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
Howdy Rob.

What follows is written in a friendly tone of voice and simply meant to help.

From your post above, it is unclear whether you mean to sail on your own boat or on someone else's boat. It might help you get the answers you want if you clarify. I would also mention the season or month you plan to go, and what type of cat, etc.

Hope that helps.

Thank you! Let me edit and see how that works.

I just noticed this thread. I'm interested crossing the Pacific with someone on her/his catamaran from San Francisco Golden Gate to Sydney Harbour Bridge visiting the Cook Islands. I am pretty flexible timewise. Later this year though next year is totally cool as well.
If you or someone you know does, please get in touch and let me know!
I'm from Amsterdam, The Netherlands. Speaking dutch, english and german.
Kind regards,
Rob Waterlander
Info@robwaterlander.com
RobW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2017, 10:59   #14

Boat: Currently boatless

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobW View Post
Thank you! Let me edit and see how that works.

I just noticed this thread. I'm interested crossing the Pacific with someone on her/his catamaran from San Francisco Golden Gate to Sydney Harbour Bridge visiting the Cook Islands. I am pretty flexible timewise. Later this year though next year is totally cool as well.
If you or someone you know does, please get in touch and let me know!
I'm from Amsterdam, The Netherlands. Speaking dutch, english and german.
Kind regards,
Rob Waterlander
Info@robwaterlander.com
You might try the Pacific Puddle Jump group on Yahoo:
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...uddlejump/info
Livia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2017, 11:24   #15
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Rob-
At least here in the US, most of the libraries (in towns that have post offices, telephones, overnight delivery, all that stuff) are also members of an "Interlibrary Loan System". Ask the reference librarian at your local library if they are members, or where the nearest member is.
I've requested books and movies and music that way, and it may take a month to come in and only be a two-week loan, but they've come from literally every corner of the US. University libraries, county libraries, all over. And the service is free!
If your library has a good web site, they may show a resource called "WorldCat". That's a worldwide catalog of holdings. Don't expect that you'll get one from overseas--but if your library is a member, again, stuff can be sent in from all over the country. (Although libraries apparently never take inventories, so the esoteric stuff may come back with "Holding cannot be found.")
I'd also expect old copies (much the same as new) to be on Amazon and other online used-book sellers at a good discount.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sydney