Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2008, 18:03   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Passport 47 CC
Send a message via Yahoo to SV Someday Came
Passage Planning

Hello

Is there a web site that offers approximations of time of passage to various destinations? My boat supposedly does 5/6 knots. I want to get a rough estimate of the time it takes to get from Los Angelas to Cabo San Lucas to the Marquesas to the Cooks to Hawaii and to LA.

I am not counting stays or delays and I know weather is a factor; however, I just want a rough guestimate and I hoping to find a resource that can teach me how to consider time and distance. I cannot seem to get my arms around the time passages take since people make extended visits to different places. I guess this paragraph is a round about way of asking no one to take me to task for not being precise enough in my question.

Thanks

Michael
SV Someday Came is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2008, 18:07   #2
cruiser

If you find this, I'd be very interested in it. Hey Jay, from Alaska... here's your idea!

I have looked for one many times, and only found "as the crow flies" calculators that only went between major cities. We need a site that you can put in lat/lon and it will plot a rough course over water only, arriving at a total NM distance.

Can you say "applet", Jay??
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2008, 18:33   #3

Boat: 1988 Brewer Three Seas 40' Pilothouse
Unless I am misunderstanding your question, isn't it a simple matter of dividing the distance by the anticipated boat speed, and then adding in a fudge factor of maybe 15% - 20%? Or are you trying to find the distances?

John
jrd22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2008, 18:38   #4
cruiser

Yes, it's the distances, John. If you don't have the charts handy for a route you've never done, but are interested in doing, it sure would be nice to be able to select a start and and end from a map of the world, and have some software do a great circle route that would account for land masses you'd have to avoid.
Old 21-02-2008, 18:56   #5

Boat: Sceptre 41
Have you looked at a globe or an atlas. Many of them have shipping routes for major ports. From there an approximation can be made by multiplying boat speed times 24 hrs and then multiplying by 75% to 85%. This will give you an approximation.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2008, 19:04   #6

Boat: 63 ft John Spencer Schooner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MV View Post
Hello

Is there a web site that offers approximations of time of passage to various destinations? My boat supposedly does 5/6 knots. I want to get a rough estimate of the time it takes to get from Los Angelas to Cabo San Lucas to the Marquesas to the Cooks to Hawaii and to LA.

I am not counting stays or delays and I know weather is a factor; however, I just want a rough guestimate and I hoping to find a resource that can teach me how to consider time and distance. I cannot seem to get my arms around the time passages take since people make extended visits to different places. I guess this paragraph is a round about way of asking no one to take me to task for not being precise enough in my question.

Thanks

Michael
I did most of these in a 32 ft boat that averaged about 120 miles per day over the years (no motoring).
LA to Cabo non-stop 7-10 days. about 1000 miles
Cabo-Marquesas 25-30 days about 3000 miles but with luck an easy downhill slide
Marquesas- Cooks who cares, relax and enjoy. OK 2 weeks at a guess.
up to Hawaii- if your boat goes uphill like a race boat 3-4 weeks. 3000 miles or thereabouts.
Hawaii-LA you have to go a long way north first, I'd say 3 weeks to SF (never done Hawaii-LA).
dana-tenacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2008, 19:30   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Passport 47 CC
Send a message via Yahoo to SV Someday Came
I did not think of looking for shipping routes in an atlas. And I figured that currents and wind would help in some directions but not in others, so maybe strict distance by speed might be misleading -- and I had no clue as to how to estimate a fudge factor. Having no experience in an area makes it tough to ask the right questions. That being said, this information helps alot. Thanks!

Michael
SV Someday Came is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2008, 22:04   #8

Don't know how this one got missed:

Amazon.com: World Cruising Routes, 4th Edition: Books: Jimmy Cornell
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2008, 22:13   #9
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
By the price.

Its an expensive book. I want one though. Anyonewannagivemetheres?

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2008, 01:14   #10

Boat: Broadblue 385, called Troutbridge
Send a message via Skype™ to Troutbridge
Try using your GPS (assuming you have one). Create a start and end position, most GPSs these days allow you to input a planned speed and there's the answer.
One reason trips can take longer than seems reasonable is the need to avoid cyclone seasons. I strongly suggest you get Cornell's book. If you're planning any water sailing">blue water sailing and the price of the book is a deal breaker I have to say you probably can't afford to go!
Seriously, if you can't 'get your arms around' the concept of speed, distance and time taken you need to do a bit of studying. Well, a lot actually, knowing how long a trip might take is pretty well crucial, taking an appropriate amount of food, water etc.
Troutbridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2008, 01:28   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
I deeply regret leaving my copy of Cornell’s “World Cruising Routes” aboard “Southbound”, when we sold her. A great book.

The National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency (NGA) has several free publications.
Maritime Safety Information

Pilot Charts are intended to aid the navigator in selecting the fastest and safest routes, with regards to the expected weather and ocean conditions.

The Atlas of Pilot Charts
Maritime Safety Information

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2008, 02:39   #12
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Have you looked at a globe or an atlas. Many of them have shipping routes for major ports. From there an approximation can be made by multiplying boat speed times 24 hrs and then multiplying by 75% to 85%. This will give you an approximation.
For estimating average boat speed, Charlie's suggestion to multiply your boat's hull speed by a factor is a good one. In my experience (maybe 12,000 nm), I'd use 75% of hull speed.

It might be worth it to you to invest in some software. I use CMAP PC Planner, which allows me to plan routes on my computer using the CMAP NT cards from my chartplotter in a USB cardreader attached to the computer. I can work out a float plan, with alternatives, and then download it to the chartplotter for the actual passage.

You really should get a copy of Cornell's book to help you decide which routes are best for you on long ocean passages.
Old 22-02-2008, 05:20   #13
cruiser

I have "World Cruising Routes", but at this very second it's still in storage while I await delivery of my new boat.

From what I reacall, it shows you routes, but doesn't say exactly how long a given route is, plus what if your route isn't specified in the book?

Also, I never had an atlas on a boat, due to self-imposed weight restrictions (we have a fairly small "library" on the boat). However, having an atlas sounds like a pretty good idea. There is likely a scale somewhere on the map that you can use your dividers with for a fairly accurate rough estimate.

Lastly, using a GPS doesn't work at all. Say you were going from Greece to Brazil. Plug those both into a GPS and you're off by hundreds if not thousands of miles. There are plenty of sites that allow you to do "as the crow flies" distances, but they do not account for the fact that you can't sail over land.
Old 22-02-2008, 05:46   #14

Boat: 1973 Morgan 36T
This might help a little.

http://chartmaker.ncd.noaa.gov/nsd/d.../distances.pdf
Morgan Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2008, 06:07   #15
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan Paul View Post
Neat! That's pretty useful for quickly sizing up distances in the USA. I saved that one to my computer for use on the way up North in a bit.