Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-11-2016, 17:06   #16

Boat: Catalina MkII 42
Re: Pacific Northwest Consignment Stores

Spencers Marine and Consignment may be reached at 778-351-1400 or fax 778-351-1401
They do not have a website but post consignment stuff on UsedVictoria.com
Old 17-11-2016, 01:35   #17

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

Are you looking for something in particular?
I have quite a large assortment of gear i wish to sell, left over from my boat building days although, at this moment I do not have a comprehensive list made up.
Most of the material is 'new' as in never installed. If you wish to PM me as to your requirements, I will see if I have what you are looking for.

Prices vary, but generally speaking are fair value for what I have to offer eg: Asking 70% of retail for NEW, and 50% for USED ... all prices are negotiable if you make a reasonable offer. If you choose to low-ball me, you will understand why the second-hand marine stores went out of business.
Items are all kept at my home in Cloverdale, BC, and some in my boat at Point Roberts, WA.
Sailorbob8599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2016, 08:35   #18

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorbob8599 View Post
Are you looking for something in particular?
I have quite a large assortment of gear i wish to sell, left over from my boat building days although, at this moment I do not have a comprehensive list made up.
Most of the material is 'new' as in never installed. If you wish to PM me as to your requirements, I will see if I have what you are looking for.

Prices vary, but generally speaking are fair value for what I have to offer eg: Asking 70% of retail for NEW, and 50% for USED ... all prices are negotiable if you make a reasonable offer. If you choose to low-ball me, you will understand why the second-hand marine stores went out of business.
Items are all kept at my home in Cloverdale, BC, and some in my boat at Point Roberts, WA.
We have several things things on the "need" list and a "wish" list as long as your arm.

One thing needed is a electric windlass, needs to be pretty big and strong due to our size. I'm in Seattle right now so I can't settle down and think but I'll PM you when I get back tonight or tomorrow. Thank you!
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2016, 09:46   #19

Boat: Tartan 30 & Columbia 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by basssears View Post
What sort of stuff are you looking for?

I have never been there, but if you're looking for bigger things (winches, cleats, etc) there's a sailboat wrecking yard in Lynden (30 miles north of Bellingham):
SAILBOAT WRECKING YARD | REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE
I've bought several bits and pieces from the Sailboat Wrecking Yard. It's not so much a store as it is a big warehouse filled with boat stuff. He doesn't have regular hours, you just have to call him and see when he's going to be around. His primary business is picking up derelict sailboats and selling the keel lead, but he tosses the leftovers in the warehouse. Great for big stuff like masts, booms, rudders etc., but also lots of sails, hardware, engines and parts etc. Not very well organized, plan on spending some time sorting through piles of stuff to find what you want.
wristwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2016, 11:59   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by wristwister View Post
I've bought several bits and pieces from the Sailboat Wrecking Yard. It's not so much a store as it is a big warehouse filled with boat stuff. He doesn't have regular hours, you just have to call him and see when he's going to be around. His primary business is picking up derelict sailboats and selling the keel lead, but he tosses the leftovers in the warehouse. Great for big stuff like masts, booms, rudders etc., but also lots of sails, hardware, engines and parts etc. Not very well organized, plan on spending some time sorting through piles of stuff to find what you want.
"but he tosses the leftovers" . . . Yes, quite literally and, by the look of some of the items it would appear from quite a distance or height. Furthermore, he is not open to offers when it comes to price . . . at least, he wasn't the day I went there looking for some T-track. I eventually bought new from Jamieson's for very little more.

On another note, considering the numerous "used boat equipment" stores that were operating in the WA & BC area & closed down . . . & I can think of many . . . What became of all of their stock? I know Pacific Marine Exchange in Bellingham held a big auction when they closed down. Consignment items were surely returned to owners of same, but all that 'stuff' is surely out there somewhere . . . but WHERE?
I'm sure one reason for those stores closing down would be the fact their customer base had dried up. Witness the number of marginal owners abandoning their older vessels due to the high cost of ownership. How many old boats are being used by "homeless people' for accommodation? They anchor in any place they find handy, and quite often are blown ashore in the next gale. This happens a lot in Vancouver where they anchor just outside of false Creek in English Bay. Apparently the city has little control over them. But you can also see them in many other coastal areas. Many of these boats were acquired free of charge as abandoned stock & it shows.

. . . It seems pretty obvious, fewer people are getting into the game/sport/hobby. It is now a pastime of the uber riche. just the cost of keeping & maintaining a boat is beyond the reach of the ordinary working Joe today. Younger folk are taking up a less costly sport or hobby. This thought is also supported by the number of boat builders who are no longer in business. Sadly, owning a boat is no longer possible for a lot of folk, including many of us who post here.
Old 17-11-2016, 13:46   #21

Location: Back in Mexico cruising the northern part of Sea of Cortez
Boat: 1999 Pacific Seacraft 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorbob8599 View Post

. . . It seems pretty obvious, fewer people are getting into the game/sport/hobby. It is now a pastime of the uber riche. just the cost of keeping & maintaining a boat is beyond the reach of the ordinary working Joe today. Younger folk are taking up a less costly sport or hobby. This thought is also supported by the number of boat builders who are no longer in business. Sadly, owning a boat is no longer possible for a lot of folk, including many of us who post here.
... uhm... no. While the wife and I own a nice boat (our opinion) we no longer own a house and never considered ourselves uber rich in any sense of the word; having both retired from what I would call normal jobs. I will agree that the cost of boat ownership is not insignificant, but for those living on their boat, it is simply 'keeping up your house'. I believe others on the forum have similar stories.
Smokeys Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2016, 17:22   #22

Smokey, I was not referring to those who actually LIVE on their boat. Guess I should have been more specific. Looking around the marina where I keep my boat, all I see is numerous older sail boats, many of which hardly ever leave the dock, and then we have ultra expensive power boats starting to fill the spaces.
I truly believe the days of ordinary folks sailing for fun is numbered. In fact, I'd go so far as to say it will pretty much be all over in another 10 or 15 years. O, there will be a few who will drag it out for a bit longer, but generally speaking, it will be the end for most folk.
Most manufacturers will only build on a confirmed order with a large down payment which might protect them on cost of materials but does nothing for the buyer if the builder goes belly up. I'm thinking in particular of something in the 25 foot range. Try pricing out a Dana 24 and you`ll see what I mean. This is why very few people are buying new, small boats.
Old 17-11-2016, 17:50   #23

The Bitter End Boaters Exchange in Gibsons Landing, BC., still exists. Not a massive selection, and not bargain prices.

(The business is quietly for sale, if perhaps you yourself feel a passion for keeping marine consignment stores open.)
_QB_ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, pacific northwest