Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 18-10-2015, 16:22   #1

Pacific Crossing to NZ

Hi all,

I am looking to crew next year for a Pacific crossing to New Zealand and was looking for some advise on the best place to start.

Obviously I'll be keeping an eye on the crewing forums and looking to make connections there but I was thinking about going to a popular start point a month or so before the season starts and doing the Coastal Skipper exam, while simultaneously keeping an eye out for crew positions.

So I was wondering what would be a good place to go? As in, do most pacific crossings start in Panama or would San Diego/LA be a better place to do a Coastal Skipper while looking for a crewing position?

Thanks

Old 18-10-2015, 16:35   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Pacific Crossing to NZ

niall,

The whole west coast of North America spawns a seasonal migration of yachties, many of which join the Baja Ha Ha. (The Spanish "J" is pronounced as "H".) Those who are going on leave Mexico from Feb about through April.

The SF based free sailing magazine Latitude 38 hosts a party for those who are seeking crew for the Ha Ha. If you Google on Latitude 38, you'll find a connection to 'Lectronic Latitude, more info there. There is also the Puddle Jump from Mexico to the South Pacific.

Some people have to pay to be crew for some of these boats. [Please be aware that the kind of skipper who lacks the confidence to do the Pacific crossing with his regular crew may also be an insecure and not terribly knowledgeable, maintenance-wise, sort of person as well.]

Yours is an ambitious plan. Good luck with it.

Ann

Old 19-10-2015, 02:56   #3

Boat: Currently boatless

Consider also the PPJ Yahoo forum

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...uddlejump/info
Livia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2015, 05:28   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, niall.nf.

What Anne said.
http://www.pacificpuddlejump.com/about.html

See also "Coconut Milk Run"

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2015, 10:18   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

We did this in 2006 and left from Zihuatenejo Mexico. Not a good place since it is an extra 400 miles in the lee of the northern part of the Mexican pacific lands. Cabo San Lucas is an excellent place to start. Or La Paz. Or Puerto Vallarta. If you go to Mexico in the early winter you can cruise there for a "season" and then take off. Lots of people doing the same thing every year. Good provisioning, etc.

But anywhere in southern California would work too. But look at the PPJ site as Gord suggests. Good info on everything. No real reason to officially do the PPJ and pay etc. but it was fun for us.

Wish I was going - soon.
Old 19-10-2015, 11:07   #6

Boat: Niagara 35

Those are some long crossings. Have you done some ocean sailing close to home? You'll want to have a resume of your experience, so anything you can do before you get to the US would be good.

That's another advantage of trying to do the Baja Ha Ha first. You'll get some experience and get to know a bunch of cruisers who will help you get onto a boat for the next leg.
Old 19-10-2015, 12:24   #7

I've never done that but in NZ we see lots of overseas cruising yachts. From US West coast is most common. Also boats from England, Germany, France. I'd check out yacht clubs in San Francisco, or Portland OR if I were doing that. Perhaps Hawaii too.
They arrive and leave here dodging the South Pasific cyclone season. That season is roughly November to March. Can even be April with most activity later in the season.
Old 19-10-2015, 14:10   #8

Thanks for all the replies. I looked at the Baja Ha Ha but it is probably not a option for me as I can't leave Europe until February, so the plan would be to go to either San Diego, Panama or somewhere else recommended where there is usually a gathering of boats about to set sail. I would like to meet a crew before setting sail to ensure there is a good fit, so that's why I'm thinking of basing myself at a port of departure beforehand.
Its possible that I'll have to break the trip into legs with different crews if it's a case I cannot find a crew going all the way but it would be nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by exMaggieDrum View Post
We did this in 2006 and left from Zihuatenejo Mexico. Not a good place since it is an extra 400 miles in the lee of the northern part of the Mexican pacific lands.
Chris, did you crew as well?, and if so, would you have any tips in getting a good position? As in I know there's more flexibility in keeping an eye on the forums, but I think there's a lot to be said for meeting a crew before heading off.
I've done a bit of sailing in Europe, and one passage from Portugal to Ireland, via France & UK which was just epic. Outside of that I've done a lot of dinghy sailing which I know is a different beast but I'm hoping to do the coastal skipper in a couple of weeks time which will only add to my sea miles.
Old 19-10-2015, 16:39   #9

Boat: Niagara 35

In that case, I'd align myself with the Pacific Puddle Jump.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: