Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-01-2016, 16:49   #16

Boat: Able 50
Re: Oz to Where?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nauticalnomad View Post
Go visit the new Royal Nomuka Yacht Club in Tonga.

Id go south from Brisbane across to NZ then up through the islands avoiding Australia. On the side youre on. Although Bundaburg is nice.. There isnt much down the East coast of Oz except just mileage to do to Sydney harbour. If anything id try and sail around the top North West from Broome to Darwin. It is lovely up there and untouched. Darwin is awesome right round to Gove and then over the top of QLD and down but you have already come that way?

My favourite yacht club in all of the oceans is the Dinah Beach yacht club in Darwin... Love it there!
Say what ? Did you visit the same Australia as everyone else ?

If you like resort towns there's Mooloolaba, Southport, Port Stephens and Coffs Harbour. There are lots of rivers which are accessible in good weather. If you like to explore then leave the boat in Coffs Harbour and rent a car to explore the mountains. You might even find out where all the hippies finished up. The rivers contain little fishing towns like Yamba, Tweed Heads and Ballina. Near Sydney there's Newcastle Harbour and Lake Macquarie. You could easily spend 2 weeks cruising the lake. Getting in isn't too bad - just wait for high tide unless you have shoal draft. Right near Sydney is Broken Bay which has deep entry and something for everyone from noisy waterfront pubs to deserted bays with kangaroos hopping along the shore. A month in Broken Bay would be easy to do . . . . . then there's the south coast . . . . . .

If you like crowds go in December-January or if you like it quiet go after Easter. Sailing is OK all year although in winter you do need to monitor the weather.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2016, 00:11   #17

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Undercutter,

Can't really give good input re liferaft, but it is frightfully rigid and expensive in Oz. Look into a US shipping address, that might help. The other day, Jim referred someone to My USA, for a US address. Then shipping within the US may be free, and then, they will re-pack and consolidate for you should you require other items as well.

Still, follow the exhange rate. NZ could be a good deal.

Ann
Old 27-01-2016, 00:26   #18

Boat: 53' Amel Super Maramu

We've been impressed with NZ for getting stuff done at a reasonable cost so far. Particularly if you're thinking in USD. Unfortunately the CDN dollar has taken a hammering also, but that's another story......

I'm not sure about the cost of teak here and availability, so you'd have to do some more research on that front.

I KNOW it's the opposite direction, but have you looked at South Africa? I was stunned when some Dutch sailors we know told us how cheap it was to put teak decks on their yacht there a couple of years ago. The workmanship was excellent. Some other Amel owners we know who are currently in South Africa made the comment in an email a couple of weeks ago that they're finding South Africa "as good as NZ at 1/3 the cost".

PS. I don't know about the cost of new ones, but I dropped my Liferaft off for servicing last week in Auckland and was pleasantly surprised at the cost quoted.
Hobie_ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2016, 00:29   #19

Boat: Farr Phase 4, 12.8m

If you come to Auckland, let me know if I can help with anything. I'm in Gulf Harbour. Facilities here for anything you may want to do...
Fair winds,
Matt
Old 27-01-2016, 00:39   #20

Boat: 45ft Ketch

We are from Nelson and have met quite a number of cruisers who came via Hobart. They hop on the back of a southerly and often only have to motor once they get into the sheltered waters of Golden Bay. Waves can be big in meters but have a nice deep water shape.
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2016, 02:51   #21

Boat: Angus Primrose One design 45ft And Duncanson 34 Mk2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
I have had Australians tell me somewhere in Oz was "beautiful", and not found it so. Where I came from, "beautiful" was bright green, not olive green, and with dark green pines of a different hue than you see here. I think we think what we grew up with is beautiful, and may have to stretch to see the beauty in mangrove flats. Everybody seems to like the magnificent aqua, turquoise through sapphire places. It is even possible that someone from the subsiding coasts of the continents finds more to love along Oz's east coast than someone from the uplift sides. It is not that Oz lacks beauty, but it is of a different sort than that of the UK, where nauticalnomad is from. He may not have had the luxury of the time to get to understand the many beauties of Oz, so different from that of our homelands.

Ann

I am from Australia, Born in NSW and lived in QLD and now in France waiting on the weather to get better so i can make my way to Portugal... North of Brisbane around to Broome is lovely sailing but anywhere South gets a bit boring i feel.
nauticalnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2016, 05:59   #22

Quote:
I am from Australia, Born in NSW and lived in QLD and now in France waiting on the weather to get better so i can make my way to Portugal... North of Brisbane around to Broome is lovely sailing but anywhere South gets a bit boring i feel.
Things that make you go MMmmmm. You have your opinion, it is very wrong but it is your opinion. in fact I call BS. If you had done any real cruising around NSW you certainly would have a different take on the place.

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2016, 06:09   #23

Boat: Angus Primrose One design 45ft And Duncanson 34 Mk2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
Things that make you go MMmmmm. You have your opinion, it is very wrong but it is your opinion. in fact I call BS. If you had done any real cruising around NSW you certainly would have a different take on the place.
Yeah Yeah..
Its my opinion.. As i said above twice.. Sth of Brisbane is boring...... its not a pissing contest.
nauticalnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2016, 13:59   #24

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
OOOooops! nauticalnomad, i apologize for projecting wrongly upon you.

a.
Old 27-01-2016, 20:51   #25

Boat: Island Packet 40

Place, circumstances, eye of beholder.

During the late nineties a friend and I went on a cruise from Fremantle to the Houtmans Abrolhos and back. The voyage was all nasty south westerly fronts and calms and after we got back I wondered why we had bothered and put the boat on the market.

On pondering on why I had wanted to go there in the first place I recalled that it was because I had read two books featuring the place by Hugh Edwards. The first was The Wreck on the Half Moon Reef and the second The Island of angry Ghosts.

I reread the two books and made three further trips and whilst the islands are just low corral keys with very little foliage I found it to be a beautiful and fascinating place.

A lot of Australia is like that, dull without some context and fascinating and beautiful with it. The convoluted ghost gums in the Pilbara in the dawn light, the ochre and blond of a desert road through dry spinifex in the desert at sun down, the afternoon sun on the giant kidy's building blocks at Raft Point. etc, etc, etc.

And,

the people speak English and you can drink the water out of the taps.

With a proper mindset and open eyes there are beautiful things to see all over the continent.
RaymondR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2016, 00:46   #26

Boat: CT 56
Send a message via Skype™ to undercutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune's Gear View Post
If you come to Auckland, let me know if I can help with anything. I'm in Gulf Harbour. Facilities here for anything you may want to do...
Fair winds,
Matt
Appreciate the offer Matt, we will definitely come your way and look forward to seeing the land that they say is so much like home.
undercutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2016, 01:10   #27

Boat: CT 56
Send a message via Skype™ to undercutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
Place, circumstances, eye of beholder.

During the late nineties a friend and I went on a cruise from Fremantle to the Houtmans Abrolhos and back. The voyage was all nasty south westerly fronts and calms and after we got back I wondered why we had bothered and put the boat on the market.

On pondering on why I had wanted to go there in the first place I recalled that it was because I had read two books featuring the place by Hugh Edwards. The first was The Wreck on the Half Moon Reef and the second The Island of angry Ghosts.

I reread the two books and made three further trips and whilst the islands are just low corral keys with very little foliage I found it to be a beautiful and fascinating place.

A lot of Australia is like that, dull without some context and fascinating and beautiful with it. The convoluted ghost gums in the Pilbara in the dawn light, the ochre and blond of a desert road through dry spinifex in the desert at sun down, the afternoon sun on the giant kidy's building blocks at Raft Point. etc, etc, etc.

And,

the people speak English and you can drink the water out of the taps.

With a proper mindset and open eyes there are beautiful things to see all over the continent.
We definitely will make more of an effort to get inland a little more and explore more of the country. We do enjoy meeting the people here and have made quite a few new friends along the way.

Spent quite a bit of time in the NT and visited some of the National Parks and of course the cruise across the top was majestic. Unfortunately didn't get to see any crocodiles along the way.

Of course the climate is a little hard to take but now that we are seeing some moderation in the temperatures with some rain to boot it is certainly better. Any suggestions for things to see around these parts would be appreciated as it looks like we may be in Bundy for a little longer than expected as we were hit by a boat coming into the marina 2 days ago. Bent the dolphin striker and shifted the bowsprit so we will have to do some exploration once we get on the hard on Tuesday morning to see how much or little damage was done. Quite a bit of damage on the other boat's stanchions and lifelines as well as some cosmetic damage to their tinny that they were towing behind.
undercutter is offline   Reply With Quote