Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2012, 20:14   #1

Opua to Brisbane crossing in January?

I have two different cruising guide sources with some conflicting information.

'Ocean Passages and Landfalls' (Heikell & O-Grady) route AUSW4 (page 83) lists the Bay of Islands/Opua to Brisbane passage 'Best time' of January to March.

World Cruising Routes (Cornell) route PS62 (page 425) Opua to Brisbane, lists the best time as 'May to June'.

I have crossed the Pacific this past season and generally these two guides have given roughly the same information. Any thoughts out there as to the conflicting info, and reasons for the differences?

Many thanks, michael
svfinnishline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 20:25   #2

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff H28 Ketch & Brisol 24 @ 25'
Re: Opua to Brisbane crossing in January?

I am no expert, but am guessing Cornell well and truly wants to avoid the Queensland cyclone season?

Any takers for April/May?
Old 07-01-2012, 04:56   #3

Boat: Custom Freya 20m
April - sounds appropriate to me. Jan/Feb definitely cyclone season so u had better have good forecasts in that period but can be done of course.
stillbuilding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 11:42   #4

Boat: Mason 53
Re: Opua to Brisbane crossing in January?

G'day, mate. No weather guru here either, but here's my experience over the years down here. Ditto SurferShane on avoiding the cyclones during January to March. As the sun heads back to the other side of the equator, the center of the high pressure systems generally track back north also. This would tend to give you higher chance of northwesterly quadrant winds on the nose for your trip.

We sailed back from Brisbane to Opua the last week of March a few years ago and had 10 to 12 SE the whole trip, but we were on a schedule and had to get back to N.Z. If you have the freedom, the trip can be done any time of year. Just wait for an optimum 6 to 7 day forecast and cast off the lines. All the best. Cheers.
matauwhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brisbane