Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2008, 01:08   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

We've gone out using the South Channel, but this isn't really a channel -- just a slightly less-shallow place in the bar. Unless the seas are quite flat, I would stay in the main channel until beyond the last buoy. People have died in the South Channel.

On VALIS my rule is everyone wears a PFD/harness and tether once we are outside the Golden Gate Bridge, regardless of the conditions.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 06:13   #17
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Returning to the bay after 23 months of being gone. My last port was Santa Barbara. It was flat without a breath of wind the whole way. When coming past HMB a large fishing trawler pulled out, and was ahead of me.

As we passed Daly City the trawler turned sharply for the GG. I turned with him, and then had second thoughts. I pulled out the chart again, and I could see where he was going. I turned to sea.

I was eager to get home, and gave it some thought. It was nearing high tide, it was flat as can be, and the trawler has to be using a path he has used for ever...aka local knowledge.

I turned back to the path of the trawler. We came so close to the Cliff House it seemed I could have thrown a stone that far. We coasted in under the GG at slack tide. There was still some light from the sun. Anyone who witnessed me would have seen a crazy man dressed in red foulies dancing on the deck with joy.

My point being, depending on weather & tide you can at times cut corners. Then again on a blustery day I had a friend pulled away from the beach by the C.G. in the exact same spot. He was only 2 waves from going up onto the beach just south of the Cliff House.
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 07:34   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Dramamine or Bonine is fine. I prefer Bonine because it does not make me sleepy. After a couple days, you will get your "sea legs" and wont need it at all.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 10:43   #19

Boat: 1971 Catalina 27
Yeah, I just spent some time reading about Daisy,the boat that went down in over the bar last March. 19 foot seas with 30 knots of wind! Those are hairy conditions, but with an ebb, even 8 foot seas can become something quite intense.

I think we're going to take our trip to HMB Oct 5th heading out on slack tide. Hopefully the swell and wind aren't too intense to make the trip. I have no problem with turning back if it doesn't feel right. The San Francisco bar is nothing to toy with... Our first time was on a friend's 41 Hunter. We were trying to make it round the Farallones Islands and headed out north in the Bonita Channel. This was in August of last year... Don't remember the wave heights heading out but we did have to turn back for home when we were about 6 or 7 miles from the islands due to intense fog- less than a quarter mile visability... One the way back we sailed through the Potato Patch (Which I'd never do but were guests on their boat and it was our first time in the Pacific and didn't know any better). The skipper was very experienced and we surfed some big waves in. It was fun, but if I were at the helm, don't think I'd try it just yet... or more like probably never. I don't think the Potato Patch is something to mess with.

More photos from the trip here: High 5s: Under The Gate
sfbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 21:23   #20

Boat: Islander Freeport 36
Since you can never tell about fog, I think radar would be wise to have...I think someone else metioned that too.
JiffyLube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 23:46   #21

Boat: inspiration 10 - 10.5 mtrs capricorn magic
At night,have a floating/waterproof torch with you in the cockpit, like a Eveready"dolphin" or similar, and if someone does go overboard, the person on board flicks/switches it on and throws it to the person in the water. If this is done the very first thing,The person in the water can see it flashing as it bobs up and down and swim to it earlier and use it to signal/ wave it, then the person left on board can see the torch light easier than the actual person in the water. By the time you gybe/turn the boat around you may have lost sight of person. It works as rescues show.I hope this helps, natureboy.
lolanreg@smartc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 23:52   #22

Boat: inspiration 10 - 10.5 mtrs capricorn magic
PS Gee you have some Shxxx weather there! I've only had fog about twice in 40 yrs here on the eastern seaboard of Oz, you should come here.it would seem like heaven for sailors. natureboy
lolanreg@smartc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 11:53   #23

I think the sometimes trying conditions of the Bay make it ideal and fun for sailing. We have spots with a gentle breeze and warm air but where's the challenge in that? It's nice to progress with your sailing abilities and learn new things...

Speaking of radar, I think I'd rather get an AIS system like this one. Inexpensive too and more information!

SR161 AIS Receiver - NavSoftware
Old 07-09-2008, 16:18   #24
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
We have a raft, 2 gps, 2 vhfs (one floating handheld), charting software, and a newly tuned 8hp outboard (motors approx. 6 knots). Would there be anything you wouldn't forget for a short ocean trip like this?
Beer! Have you got BEER???????

In your photos you are all rugged up in clothes like an eskimo. Whats wrong with T-Shirts and shorts??????

Overnight trips are fine Enjoy them and relish the sailing. Sometime soon move to a bigger boat and head further offshore.
Don't use torches at night. Not at all. Let your night vision work for you. You will find you hands know where everything is.

The other day we saw in a Catalina 38 and a 47 (?) here in Tonga. They were both beautiful boats. Both good for an ocean crossing in the tropics

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 10:25   #25

Trust us, if we were in Tonga, we'd in shorts for sure, and we always have enough beer on board although don't think I'm going to have much of it on our first trip down the coast.

Tonga?! Damn, that's gotta be great. We'll get out there someday! Maybe in something like this below. We'd love to get a nice "Blue Water" boat someday.

Old 08-09-2008, 10:39   #26
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Mark Twain's quote went something like this. "The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco".

If you haven't lived a summer on the bay you will never understand......LOLOLOLOL
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 11:10   #27

Crew on an offshore boat for a few weeks. It's great experience and you get a chance to see how other people rig their boats. There are a lot of "right ways" to haul up the main, etc. But it's good to get some alternate versions and figure out what works well for you, and to have some backup ideas to use.

I got rid of my Ericson for a Hans Christian, and certainly wouldn't go back (unless I wanted to do coastal / racing stuff). But there's a guy in L&L Pardy's book who's been cruising for years on an Ericson, so you can certainly make it work.

Experience, and figuring out problems in advance (as best you can) makes problems a lot smoother.

I'd much rather be on a Catalina with a good team than a Valliant with a bonehead at the helm.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 12:12   #28

Anacortes to Panama

Hi Everyone,
Just joined the forum and am impressed with lots of excellent advice. I sailed the east coast and the Carribbean for 10 years before selling the boat, a gaff rigged BCC, and moving to California Bay Area. I'm thinking of buying a 49 foot custom cutter that is an incredible boat and sailing it from Anacortes to Panama in stages. Not sure if this is too big an endeavor after reading some some of your west coast postings about sailing the Pacific but may give it a try anyway. Looking forward to learning more.
Ray
Ray Walton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 13:54   #29

Boat: Sceptre 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Walton View Post
Hi Everyone,
Just joined the forum and am impressed with lots of excellent advice. I sailed the east coast and the Carribbean for 10 years before selling the boat, a gaff rigged BCC, and moving to California Bay Area. I'm thinking of buying a 49 foot custom cutter that is an incredible boat and sailing it from Anacortes to Panama in stages. Not sure if this is too big an endeavor after reading some some of your west coast postings about sailing the Pacific but may give it a try anyway. Looking forward to learning more.
Ray
Hi Ray:

Welcome aboard! Might be good to start your own thread on this one. YOu'll get more attention.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 14:12   #30

Boat: Dolphin 460 Catamaran WONDERLAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfbay View Post
Trust us, if we were in Tonga, we'd in shorts for sure, and we always have enough beer on board although don't think I'm going to have much of it on our first trip down the coast.

Tonga?! Damn, that's gotta be great. We'll get out there someday! Maybe in something like this below. We'd love to get a nice "Blue Water" boat someday.

Just remember "bluewater" boats come in many designs, and I can assure you that they are not all shaped like cute little bathtubs.