Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-09-2009, 17:41   #1

Boat: Cal 34
Northbound Passage in Southern California (LA to Ventura)

I am planning a route from Long Beach to Ventura in a few weeks (end of September).

I have the Fagan Cruising Guide to Souther California and it provides good information, and indicates the northbound route, especially in the chute between Anacapa island and point Mugu (and especiall approaching winter) can have some nasty NW winds and seas.

I was hoping someone might share their experience with the route and if it's possible to sail or avoid the worst of it, or whether it is 24 hours of slogging through waves on diesel power much of the time. I have limited experience in these waters!

I can always hope for a nice helping breeze that day, but the odds seem slim.

Unfortunately, I'll only have 2 days to accomplish the trip, at best and i'm thinking an even steam to Marina Del Rey the evening before embarking might shave some of the risk of not making it in time to catch my flight out.

Obviously, there's always the risk of having to abandon the trip due to harsh weather, but I was hoping someone might share any experience they have in the timing of that trip and the conditions.

Plan is to leave harbour at like 0400 to catch the morning calm and make some headway before the sea kicks up and then just keep at it until we arrive, hopefully before dark, but possibly well into the following night.

Thanks!
HobieFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2009, 16:25   #2

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
I've made the trip from Ventura to Catalina and back a number of times and done it over the weekend.......under sail.. left early, maybe 7 am and gotton to Two Harbors around dark..
There are sone pretty strong winds that pick up in the evening out at the islands but you wont need to traval that far out..
Around point Magoo you do have to give the area a little room due to the military using the water.. your chart will show you the boundry.. I uasally cut the corner of the boundry and it always seems I get yelled at over the radio..
The times I've always done the trip were in October through January.. plenty of Marinas along the way if you need to duck in somewhere..
going back down this December to Mex so I'll be doing it this winter also
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2009, 17:55   #3

Boat: 41' Custom CC Cutter
Just a thought. It looks to me like you'll have west winds tomorrow rounding Palos Verdes to half way across the bay then NW on the nose and a very calm sea state. You could probably sail close-hauled half the way and and motor sail the rest. A stop in mdr might well be indicated as you could begin tuesday with NNE winds for a close reach. Not advice just an avenue to explore.

Clicking on the map at NWS link will give you forcast for any point along the route by clicking on the map at link. I don't know how reliable their sea forcasts are but they've been good for land and beaches. Good luck and fair winds!

Experimental Marine Forecast for Latitude 33.71°N and Longitude 118.4°W
Old 20-09-2009, 18:16   #4

Boat: Cal 34
That's an awesome site! Thanks!!!!!
HobieFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
california