Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-11-2011, 15:53   #1

Boat: Union Polaris cutter, 36'
North or South Mexico ?

Last winter I sailed from Chiapas to Vallarta. I am now going back with my Wife and kids. Our itinerary is really open so I am wondering which direction we should go from Vallarta. I really liked the Escondito and Huatulco area and we are thinking of heading back down that way but I have never been north of Vallarta. My better half and the kids have never sailed the Mexican coast. Which way would you go?
ovrmyhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2011, 16:13   #2
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: North or south Mexico?

do visit mazatlan....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2011, 16:16   #3

What a sweet position to be in,with you your wife nd the kids....

Every which way but loose and fancy free...

Either way flipping the coin-you win

Enjoy!

Just remember which is the better half, mattey!
LoveMyWoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2011, 16:20   #4
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

wonder if clyde wants to go sailing.......
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2011, 16:37   #5

Yep !

Clyde would be a good sailing bubby-better than the cat-since he can hoist the sails too!

and ready with a good right hook!

Clint is and was a good sailor man.

Is he still alive? I hope.
LoveMyWoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2011, 18:09   #6

Boat: Oday 28

Having been in Mexico for over a year I find the Baja side of the Sea of Cortez to be some of the finest sailing waters around. You have countless Islands with the clearest waters for swimming, snorkeling ans fishing. La Paz is a fine city with all the supplies that is needed. Puerto Escondido, Loreto, Santa Rosalia and Conception bay. There are anchorage that I've been to that I could have stayed for weeks then 20 miles away another anchorage just like the last. Again its countless
Althea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2011, 18:30   #7

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,

After some internet reading...
It seems the orangutan who played Clyde in Every Which Way But Loose (1978) was named Manis and normally worked in Vegas with trainers Bobby (b. Bohumil Berousek) and Joan Berosini (at the Stardust, at an act that succeeded Siegried and Roy's tenure there). Manis also starred in The Cannonball Run and Going Ape (both 1981) and a Joan Rivers tv movie (1985).

A different orangutan played Clyde in the sequel (Any Which Way You Can, 1980) and died shortly afterward and after allegations of severe abuse. It seems that the measures used to train orangs in those days would not be so accepted now; some trainers seemed to have crossed the line from necessary dominance to abuse. However, it's also said that Clint Eastwood and Manis became quite attached to one another during filming and there has never been a hint of any suggestion that Clint was ever unkind to Manis or other animals.

If Manis was born around 1966, it's somewhat possible he could still be alive today; 50 would be about as old as orangs have lived in captivity. Tracking Manis might be hard; after an acrimonious and expensive legal controversy with PETA and PAWS, it appears that the Berosinis may have left the country for Costa Rica and then Brazil, with their animals going to an animal trainer in Hollywood and perhaps other places. (weeklyseven.com Aug. 12, 2010 article "His orangutans were sent to a Hollywood animal trainer, and at least one (Popi) was later moved to the Great Ape Trust, a non-invasive cognitive and communication research facility in Des Moines, Iowa.") The combination of the Berosini controversy and the unfortunate tiger bite accident to Roy Horn from Siegfried and Roy were a double whammy for once-popular Vegas animal acts.

Tags
Mexico, mexico