Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-12-2013, 22:16   #16

Boat: Traditional 30
Re: New Zealand or Australia For Pacific Bound Sailors

I would pick QLD and not particularly Brisbane. Although its a nice city, there are more relaxed coastal towns along the various qld coast regions. Sunshine Coast, Fraser Coast, Townsville.

No disrespect to our Kiwi neighbors, but I would even pick parts of New South Wales before NZ. Coffs Harbour, Port Macquarie Ballina . There is no shortage of great places along the coast from Sydney all the way north to the Cape. Each with plenty of facilities.

There are several reasons I make those suggestions.
1 I am very biased
2 The climate is Better
3 I am very biased
4 The sheer multitude of destinations and variety of scenery once landed.
5 I am very biased
6 Kiwis are smelly people who never bathe
7 Once youre in Aus, its only a couple of hundred dollars by plane to pop over to NZ for a weekend to see the two or three sites they have on offer.
8 Aussies are much nicer people.
9 The Kiwis eat babies, puppies and kittens
10 Much better cruising grounds with "the reef" taking up much of the QLD coastline

With my kiwi sledging aside you will find both of our countries welcoming, friendly and aching to take your well earned dollars from you. Enjoy
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2013, 22:33   #17

Boat: Elan 434

Hi Eric,
The Bay of Islands area of NZ is tops and the Pardys like it.
Aus has a larger population and yes the prices are high at the moment.
Work can be found anywhere if you want to work.
I like the idea of summer in Tassie and work your way up to the Whitsundays and the reef for winter.
Sydney to Brisbane is the most stable climate zone I feel for cruising and wintering the boat in NSW and QLD means a better time to take up sailing. Not wrapping them in plastic.
We have friends who winter in New Cal and Villla from May to Oct and spent the summer on our lake, you should see their tan and they like it hot.
If you need to know any local knowledge ask.
Derek

This is winter sailing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3456.jpeg
Views:	139
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	72283  
Ocean Diamond 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2013, 16:38   #18

Boat: Elan 434

Hi Eric,

Just found this and thought it might make another reason to try NZ.

http://www.customs.govt.nz/news/stor...-11122013.aspx

Derek
Ocean Diamond 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2013, 01:37   #19

Boat: Moody 425

It depends!.

I am in Sydney, and while I love this place as it is truly a fantastic, diverse, bustling city I could not recommend Sydney as an 'easy' city for a cruiser to spend a couple of years in.

We have cruised the east coast and Mooloolaba would probably be high on my list for what you seek. It is family friendly, relaxed but with a good dose of civilisation. Brisbane would offer you more city, a bit less relaxation but would still far more chilled than Sydney. Then again compared to say Yeppoon, Brisbane is New York City

It is also worth being across the implications of cyclone season in Queensland and the possibility of flooding if you decide to remain further north than Mooloolaba.

While the dollar is also improving be ready for the fact that OZ is expensive. New Zealand would indeed perhaps offer better value living - But it is cold, and Ozskipper is absolutely correct, they are known kitten eaters who cannot play rugby

Here is an offer you can't refuse: If you come to Oz, I will buy you a beer
chall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2013, 17:41   #20

Boat: Traditional 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melani View Post
Hi Eric,

Just found this and thought it might make another reason to try NZ.

New Zealand Customs Service : Change in entry period for visiting yachts and small craft

Derek
Yeh the Kiwis have that one up on us. Even if they do eat kittens.
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2013, 17:58   #21
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: New Zealand or Australia For Pacific Bound Sailors

I'd head for Sydney.. then head N and over the top.. down the W coast and along the Bight then along the N and E coast of Tasmania and across to NZ from there.. then back across to OZ.
Reason for NZ... watch how Rugby is played by the best in the world..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2013, 18:24   #22

Boat: Moody 425

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I'd head for Sydney.. then head N and over the top.. down the W coast and along the Bight then along the N and E coast of Tasmania and across to NZ from there.. then back across to OZ.
That is one hell of sail. The bight can well bite..... and Tasmania to NZ is not an easy trick to pull off. I got the impression Rebel is thinking more a bit of time in a marina with kids going to school than attempting the great oceanic circumnavigation.

AND By all means..........If you want to contribute to the growing kiwi epidemic that is kittencide and watch people try and play rugby badly in the rain then finish in NZ.
chall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2013, 00:49   #23

Boat: Beneteau 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
That's the only way you realisticaly get to Adelaide.

If you are planning to stay for a long period of time make sure you understand the visa rules. Australia efficiently (and ruthlessly) enforces visa rules. New Zealand seems a bit more flexible.
svseachange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2013, 01:43   #24

Boat: 45ft Ketch

I seem to remember Boati did circle Aus that way a year or two ago. Some sort of cut-rate working holiday????
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2013, 17:28   #25

Boat: Allied 39

I have done most if not all of your choices. A few years in American Samoa, along with Tonga and Fiji in the early 80's. A few years doing the NZ -SP trip, 6 months in the Marshall's and a number of years in Oz.

No has mentioned this but doing the Mexico-Oz trip in one season is a long haul. That's pushing thru some of the best cruising grounds in the world. At least NZ offers your a chance of coming back up into Tonga and continuing on without a long slog to weather. Going all the way to Oz it's tough to get back. Sure folks do it but it can be challenging.

What's is your goal? Seeing and experiencing the islands or just getting to a 1st world country? My choice is take your time and enjoy some of best cruising grounds in the world. But you maybe in a hurry. Each place has it's own charm and experiences why just jet thru?

Safe sailing

Chuck
Old 20-12-2013, 17:41   #26
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: New Zealand or Australia For Pacific Bound Sailors

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumnMad View Post
I seem to remember Boati did circle Aus that way a year or two ago. Some sort of cut-rate working holiday????
Did not go as far as Sidney unfortunately... now I wish I had... from Vanuatu ran with the winds to the Straits and through to Darwin then on around to Perth... pretty windless over the top though and did a lot of motoring.. carry spare fuel..
Then picked up a mates boat and carried on down and across to Bass and the E coast of Tasmania to Port Huon..
Rebel... you gotta do Tasmania mate... its lovely..
Chall... they said that about the Bight... and Bass Strait... guess the gods were in a good mood... lol

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2013, 18:47   #27

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Eric,

The trip from Tonga isn't that bad, and weather forecasting's pretty good now. Suggest you look at Bob McDavitt's web site for planning Tonga-NZ.

NZ is colder, but a quick trip to thrift shops will get you some warm weather clothes. It is possibly the most beautiful compact little country in the world! I think one needs to visit both NZ and Oz to really appreciate them both fully. It would be a shame to miss it. I think you'd find Whangarei a user friendly town; Auckland is lots bigger, of course. I think I read here there is a 2 yr. visa option available from there now, which could make it easier for you than Oz.

As Jim suggested, PM us, if you want a longer discussion.

Ann
Old 20-12-2013, 19:22   #28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Wish we were with you.

Here is a link to a free rag. You might find useful information in some of the back issues. Be careful, Somewhat libertarian tendencies prevail. I'd have a difficult time choosing. In the end, we have friends in both places so we may visit both. Be sure all your papers and procedures are in order for oz. Also, check to see what surprise equipment you may have to add to the boat and insurance required. They have some clearing-in requlations that can get you in trouble if you error. I hear NZ is way less picky.

The Coastal Passage Home Page
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2013, 20:25   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by chouliha View Post
What's is your goal? Seeing and experiencing the islands or just getting to a 1st world country? My choice is take your time and enjoy some of best cruising grounds in the world. But you maybe in a hurry. Each place has it's own charm and experiences why just jet thru?

Safe sailing

Chuck
Chuck (and everyone else), my wife and I are reading all of these replies and any other insights would be really welcomed. We're still debating about what to do.

To answer this question though directly, we have (currently) a 10 month old and a 3 year old onboard so a lot of the optimal cruising locations simply aren't that optimal for us. My wife and I, unless we have a babysitter, can't be snorkeling together, hiking even moderate distances, or doing any of the regular things we did before we had kids.

For the next 1-2 years at least we want to be more based around the first world because it's frankly so much easier. We're all about adventure, but we've already seen in in the Sea of Cortez that with little kids you really cut down on the options for things to check out.

I spend more time dealing with teeth brushing, butt wiping, and nap schedules than I do sailing. So since that's just the way it is for a few more years (until our youngest is three, we're guessing), we'd rather pass the time in easier places to live.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2013, 21:03   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
Wish we were with you.

Here is a link to a free rag. You might find useful information in some of the back issues. Be careful, Somewhat libertarian tendencies prevail. I'd have a difficult time choosing. In the end, we have friends in both places so we may visit both. Be sure all your papers and procedures are in order for oz. Also, check to see what surprise equipment you may have to add to the boat and insurance required. They have some clearing-in requlations that can get you in trouble if you error. I hear NZ is way less picky.

The Coastal Passage Home Page
Clearing into Aus is straightforward. Yes there is a notification requirement, but it's easy to meet. Quarantine requirements are also easy enough, and all the relevant info is accessible. Customs and quarantine | australia.gov.au

There are no "surprise equipment" requirements for boats ENTERING Aus, and in fact equipment requirements for boats leaving Aus are very basic.

As for TCP. You can make your up your own mind about it's credibility....

http://www.thecoastalpassage.com/kayhowskaynov2013.html

http://www.thecoastalpassage.com/Bobs_page.html

However, one part I KNOW is untrue:

"When Fraser Coast Council changed the flight-path to fly over Booral and other close residential areas when the residents were promised years before this would not happen before we moved there, Bob fought for the right to stop this."

There were TWO jet flights per day from Sydney to Fraser coast airport. These flights commenced BEFORE the Norsons bought their house in Booral, which was close to the takeoff flight path in a South Easterly. So that claim is certainly untrue. I have my suspicions about many of the others....
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia, New Zealand, sail