Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2010, 17:26   #1
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"
New Zealand Customs

Just cleared out of NZ and had the boat thoroughly rummaged by Customs. Has anyone else ever experienced this before because I certainly haven't. The seized 20 polo shirts with the boat name that had the Ralph Lauren label but were from Thailand. They said it was for copyright infringement.
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 19:33   #2

Boat: a sailing boat
Well, if you bought the T-shirts in a NZ shop (and you happen to still have the bill) then I do not see how they could explain this. I would try to re-claim and have the Customs pay the costs.

If you imported them, then you have paid the tax and you should be allowed to take them away.

How do they now RL does not make their stuff in Thailand anyway ???

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 20:00   #3

Boat: Traditional 30
Well, if you bought drugs in NZ should they let you take them out? I know thats a little extreme, but the point they are making is the same.

I delivered a yacht to NZ a few years and found the customs people to be pretty good. But there is always a little hitler in every orginisation and it appears you met thier little adolf.

I particulaly like the mandatory safety check. All countries should have the same. It ultimately helps to keep people alive and saves a small fortune on search and rescue costs imho. Sorry, I digressed. I guess if the law is being broken (even though ralph wont miss the money) it has to be monitored and acted upon.

In asia you wouldnt have had a problem of course.
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 20:43   #4
cruiser

It all seems a little strange as I have never had a boat searched in NZ or anywhere else on departure before. I'm delivering the boat for the owner & he will take it up with them when he returns to NZ.
Old 01-10-2010, 20:51   #5

Out of curiosity, where did you clear out? Opua or elsewhere? A full inspection on departure does seem odd.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail. - (George Carlin)
Aussiesuede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 20:56   #6
cruiser

We cleared from Auckland which I haven't done before. Usually it's Opua.
Old 01-10-2010, 21:51   #7

I've always heard that Auckland was a little "out there" when it comes to normal protocols. I've heard horror stories about trying to get anything fixed or worked on as they always take their cut, mafia style.. Again, only heard stories, not personal experience..
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 23:23   #8

Boat: Traditional 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTies View Post
It all seems a little strange as I have never had a boat searched in NZ or anywhere else on departure before. I'm delivering the boat for the owner & he will take it up with them when he returns to NZ.
We were searched on arrival to Auckland in 99. They found an extra couple of bottles of wine, which they ignored and a large seed that the owners wife had found on a beach in Queensland and wanted it for decoration.

We microwaved the seed for 60 seconds on high to kill it and all was fine. They then let us look over thier new patrol boat. They were somewhat proud of it as it had only been commissioned a month or so before hand.
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 02:32   #9

Boat: Mason 53
G'day, Mate. Have a good passage, looks like you will have settled weather for the next few days. We have always found N.Z. Customs to act in a professional manner. This includes several occasions clearly into Auckland. They even let us finish our turkey dinner, hot out of the oven and MAF came back to take away the bones!!

With our U.S. flag, we are routinely boarded during their summer patrols along the coast and have witnessed nothing but the utmost professionalsim.

A note to cruisers heading to New Zealand, the Navy now has 4 new offshore patrol boats that routinely carry Custom officials. They have been boarding vessels within the 200 mile limit and performing inspections. Cheers.
matauwhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 03:14   #10

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff H28 Ketch & Brisol 24 @ 25'
Quote:
Originally Posted by matauwhi View Post
A note to cruisers heading to New Zealand, the Navy now has 4 new offshore patrol boats that routinely carry Custom officials. They have been boarding vessels within the 200 mile limit and performing inspections. Cheers.
Just reminded me that for those heading to Eastern Australia I am still meaning to post a picture of the new Border Patrol and Customs boat that is currently sitting in Newcastle Harbour. The thing is a bright orange/red ex-polar explorer that looks like a rescue tug on steroids. No doubt, if they happen to come looking for you, the thing will won’t be too hard to spot!
Old 02-10-2010, 05:08   #11

Boat: Morgan OI 30' Itinerant
Can't think of any custom points I want to deal with...but it's the bane of borders....imagine no borders.

J.M.Synge, in The Aran Islands
Boomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 13:48   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow View Post
I've always heard that Auckland was a little "out there" when it comes to normal protocols. I've heard horror stories about trying to get anything fixed or worked on as they always take their cut, mafia style.. Again, only heard stories, not personal experience..
If you want to hear a first hand account: I sailed in and out and lived in NZ for like 18 months or so.

No issue with any authority whatsoever. Neither me nor any of the dozens if not hundreds of cruisers I met there. I checked in at Opua, out at Auck.

Yes, boats got searched on entry and left messy, if anything.

b.
Old 02-10-2010, 13:55   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by matauwhi View Post

A note to cruisers heading to New Zealand, the Navy now has 4 new offshore patrol boats that routinely carry Custom officials. They have been boarding vessels within the 200 mile limit and performing inspections.
If at all, they will be MAF, because of the fishery (econo) zones. NOT Customs.

The Customs can only perform inspections within your territory which starts (?) 12 miles off-shore.

Note - a non-fishing craft can in fact refuse an inspection by MAF - because MAF can only control craft that works in the zone - not one that passes thru it. Also, any craft sailing via the 12 mile zone can be boarded if reporting planned entry, otherwise the authorities will think twice before boarding.

b.
Old 03-10-2010, 03:34   #14
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTies View Post
The seized 20 polo shirts with the boat name .
20 Nightcap T-shirts!?
Damn, Pete, that sux! They would have cost a pretty penny! And were destined to become collectors items around the pacific!

Best thing, and I know it doesnt help, is to just buy some more and print them up and just dont think about the wasted dollars.

At the same time get some undies printed with I <Heart> NZ Customs

Next time they say "Is there something you want to declare to customs?" you just drop your tweeds and show them

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 15:27   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post

At the same time get some undies printed with I <Heart> NZ Customs

Next time they say "Is there something you want to declare to customs?" you just drop your tweeds and show them

Mark
You do not seem to like pig islanders, do ya?

Hehihihihoohohahaaha ;-)))

b.

Tags
customs, New Zealand