Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-10-2013, 23:22   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Leucadia, California
Boat: Stevens 47 Komaru
Posts: 428
New requirements for entering in Mexico

Got this from the dockmaster yesterday. It took a day for it to sink in, total denial. On any given day I used to be able to sail out of SD bay make a run down to the Coronado Islands, but no longer if this is correct. I will need to register myself and crew and pay 295 peso to sail into Mexican waters without making landfall. I wonder how this plays into cruising Mexico.

Blown away my wife and I and a friend have been discussing why the Mexican would want to do this, perhaps and extra way to increase revenue from cruise ships? Got me beat. The message from the dockmaster is below.

Jack

This morning, I attended a meeting with Mexican Immigration regarding form FMT (Forma Migratoria de Turista) for non-Mexican residents entering into Mexico.



In a nutshell, if you travel by vessel into Mexico (anywhere, doesn’t matter if you make land or not) will be required to register online at least 48 hours before your trip, register all those aboard and pay $295 pesos per person. You will receive a visa valid for up to 180 days, but for only one entry into and one departure from Mexico. The website is:



https://www.inm.gob.mx



The site still has a few bugs, but is required for all tourism based visitors.



So, as an example, for those of you who are going to go for a day sail around the Coronado Islands and come directly back to San Diego, you will need go online and get authorization and pay the fees. Bummer… These fees are in addition to any other visa fees or fishing permit fees.



They did say they are working on a new border card that would allow you to pay a one time fee and have multiple access during the time the card is valid, but due to red tape in Mexico, it is not ready yet. No word on when it might be ready. On a side note, if you travel by land, you are required to register at the border and pay your fee (only if you stay for more than 7 days). This 7 day grace period doesn’t apply to vessels though (they said visitors by land are not always tourists and they “assume” if you are coming in by vessel, you are a tourist). It has to do with their laws based on territorial zones vs. economic zones.



The Sport Fishing Association of California is working with the authorities in Mexico to expedite this any future changes and make it easier and cheaper to do what many of us love…visit Mexico.



As I get more information, I’ll pass it along. Stay tuned…or let me know if you have any specific questions. I’ll try and answer them or direct you to someone who can.



Channel 10 was at the meeting, you might watch their news tonight or check their website. Other media was there as well, so this info will slowly start to reach everyone.



Brad Oliver

Half Moon Marina

Marina Manager – Dockmaster


__________________

__________________
Stevens 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2013, 00:58   #2
Registered User
 
Teknav's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Texas - USA
Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane
Posts: 1,838
Re: New requirements for entering in Mexico

Mexico...$30 USD entry fee...Bahamas...$300 USD entry fee...Shooting themselves in the foot...priceless!

Mauritz
Tahiti or Bust!
__________________

__________________
Retired - Don't Ask Me To Do A Damn Thing!
Teknav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2013, 11:08   #3
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Leucadia, California
Boat: Stevens 47 Komaru
Posts: 428
Re: New requirements for entering in Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknav View Post
Mexico...$30 USD entry fee...Bahamas...$300 USD entry fee...Shooting themselves in the foot...priceless!

Mauritz
Tahiti or Bust!
Its $30 per person registered 48 hours prior to entering Mexico's waters.

The website that the Mexican gov provides does not work yet. So we had planned to sail around the Coronado's this Sunday, with some people who have not been to them. Now I plan to sail a close hauled stbd course to the border then tack to port then run back to SD.

If this holds up I can sail around the islands 2 times a year.

Jack
__________________
Stevens 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2013, 11:12   #4
Registered User
 
Dulcesuenos's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Florida Keys, Bahamas Bound
Boat: 38' French Cat
Posts: 2,828
Images: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknav View Post
Mexico...$30 USD entry fee...Bahamas...$300 USD entry fee...Shooting themselves in the foot...priceless!

Mauritz
Tahiti or Bust!
Lolol
__________________
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2013, 16:52   #5
cat herder, extreme blacksheep
 
zeehag's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: furycame alley , tropics, mexico for now
Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Posts: 17,779
Images: 56
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
Re: New requirements for entering in Mexico

stevens..apparently you do not remember the requirement made by u s customs that you had to go immediately to cop dock in sd bay and check back into usa when sailing coronado islands???? used to be a 5000 usd fine for failing to so do ..... used to be was merely 3-5 yrs ago,inclusive...i had not heard of the requirement being dropped..it IS smugglers alley, after all.....
apparently folks forget there are international considerations to sailing into and out of a country not your own. some places actually get kinda bent out of shape when ye do that.
zeehag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2013, 20:14   #6
Registered User
 
svseachange's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: East Coast of Australia
Boat: Custom Steel 43 ft
Posts: 781
I am sorry for your inconvenience, but if the entry requirements are as simple as you describe count yourself lucky you are not sailing the US on a foreign flagged boat.

In upstate New York Canadians (and other foreigners) must check in with US CBP daily, for example, no matter how long their stay. I can think of countless other inconveniences for foreign flagged vessels in the US.

I wish the US CBP was even considering a central web site to check in. In the US, if you are lucky, the CBP will give you a photocopy with the (dozens of) numbers all the check-in points while reminding you every office has different rules. Call every day in upstate NY. Once in NYC. Check in in person in Baltimore (took me all day on the public bus from Annapolis with a 3yo). Check in three times in VA.

I would love to see the US lead the way and help negotiate clear and consistent rules for all vessels cruising North American waters.
__________________
svseachange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2013, 20:49   #7
Nearly an old salt
 
goboatingnow's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 13,649
Images: 3
All these advance passenger information notification schemes are the whirlwind the US is reaping for forcing them on other jurisdictions. A lot of this has tit-for-tat politics behind it.

Dave
__________________
Check out my new blog on smart boat technology, networking and gadgets for the connected sailor! - http://smartboats.tumblr.com
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2013, 21:52   #8
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Leucadia, California
Boat: Stevens 47 Komaru
Posts: 428
Re: New requirements for entering in Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
stevens..apparently you do not remember the requirement made by u s customs that you had to go immediately to cop dock in sd bay and check back into usa when sailing coronado islands???? used to be a 5000 usd fine for failing to so do ..... used to be was merely 3-5 yrs ago,inclusive...i had not heard of the requirement being dropped..it IS smugglers alley, after all.....
apparently folks forget there are international considerations to sailing into and out of a country not your own. some places actually get kinda bent out of shape when ye do that.
Actually I do. There are numerous races that round the Coronado's from SD I will gladly provide you with pictures of all the boats not clearing customs at the police dock after the races. Yea it is still a law that is not enforced like going 65 on the freeway. If you are talking about making landfall no problem.

It does appear that this has always been a law with Mexico and they are now enforcing it.

This is going to hurt Mexico. If you race to Mexico you get to choose 2.
__________________
Stevens 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2013, 21:58   #9
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Leucadia, California
Boat: Stevens 47 Komaru
Posts: 428
Re: New requirements for entering in Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanedennis View Post
I am sorry for your inconvenience, but if the entry requirements are as simple as you describe count yourself lucky you are not sailing the US on a foreign flagged boat.

In upstate New York Canadians (and other foreigners) must check in with US CBP daily, for example, no matter how long their stay. I can think of countless other inconveniences for foreign flagged vessels in the US.

I wish the US CBP was even considering a central web site to check in. In the US, if you are lucky, the CBP will give you a photocopy with the (dozens of) numbers all the check-in points while reminding you every office has different rules. Call every day in upstate NY. Once in NYC. Check in in person in Baltimore (took me all day on the public bus from Annapolis with a 3yo). Check in three times in VA.

I would love to see the US lead the way and help negotiate clear and consistent rules for all vessels cruising North American waters.
To be clear you sail 3 miles over the US border from Canada then sail back and you have to check in with NYC 48 hours prior to doing that, is that correct?
__________________
Stevens 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2013, 22:56   #10
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 20
Re: New requirements for entering in Mexico

Then just go to Clipperton Island , I'm done with mexico.........
__________________
akfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2013, 23:38   #11
Registered User
 
TacomaSailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Burnt Store Marina, SW Florida
Boat: Caliber 40
Posts: 1,148
Re: New requirements for entering in Mexico

Let us consider the practical side of this issue

1) what Mexican official is going to check a sailboat wandering around the Coronado Islands? In all my years of sailing out of San Diego I have never been stopped by any Mexican official nor do I know anyone that has

2) I went thru the Tijuana border crossing the other day on the way to Ensenada to pick up a boat to bring back to San Diego. I stopped to get a visa and pay the fee, in case I was delayed getting out of Ensenada, and the immigration official refused to issue a visa telling me that no official in Baja California Norte cares about boaters coming and going from San Diego

3) I insisted on the visa and he issued me one but refused to accept payment

4) I have been stopped many times while moving boats around Baja Califorina Sur and in every case, a cup of coffee or cola, and warm smile, and little good cheer glossed over any problems with missing visas and fishing licenses.

They just don't care - Mexican officials on the mainland can make any rules they want but few officials in Baja want anything to do with those rules.
__________________
TacomaSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2013, 23:45   #12
Registered User
 
TacomaSailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Burnt Store Marina, SW Florida
Boat: Caliber 40
Posts: 1,148
Re: New requirements for entering in Mexico

Is there some confusion here about US reporting requirements?

Here is what I find in CBP.gov web site for "Pleasure Boat Reporting Requirements"

Any small pleasure vessel leaving a United States port into international or foreign waters, without a call at a foreign port, does not satisfy the foreign departure requirement. Therefore, certain fishing vessels, cruises to nowhere, or any vessel that leaves from a United States port and returns without calling a foreign port or place, has not departed the United States


Given the above - a sailing trip around the Coronados does not require a US checkin.
__________________
TacomaSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2013, 08:48   #13
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Leucadia, California
Boat: Stevens 47 Komaru
Posts: 428
Re: New requirements for entering in Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaSailor View Post
Let us consider the practical side of this issue

1) what Mexican official is going to check a sailboat wandering around the Coronado Islands? In all my years of sailing out of San Diego I have never been stopped by any Mexican official nor do I know anyone that has

2) I went thru the Tijuana border crossing the other day on the way to Ensenada to pick up a boat to bring back to San Diego. I stopped to get a visa and pay the fee, in case I was delayed getting out of Ensenada, and the immigration official refused to issue a visa telling me that no official in Baja California Norte cares about boaters coming and going from San Diego

3) I insisted on the visa and he issued me one but refused to accept payment

4) I have been stopped many times while moving boats around Baja Califorina Sur and in every case, a cup of coffee or cola, and warm smile, and little good cheer glossed over any problems with missing visas and fishing licenses.

They just don't care - Mexican officials on the mainland can make any rules they want but few officials in Baja want anything to do with those rules.
I have never seen the Mexican navy around the Coronado's, except during the search for the missing boat from the Newport to Ensenada race a couple of years ago and further south during a Newport Cabo race. According to the dockmaster the Mexican Navy had their high ranking officers at the meeting. All of the Mexican marine based business at the meeting where voicing concern to the possible impact.

You are probably right they will have little interest around the Coronado's I may make a sail around today.
__________________
Stevens 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2013, 08:51   #14
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Leucadia, California
Boat: Stevens 47 Komaru
Posts: 428
Re: New requirements for entering in Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaSailor View Post
Is there some confusion here about US reporting requirements?

Here is what I find in CBP.gov web site for "Pleasure Boat Reporting Requirements"

Any small pleasure vessel leaving a United States port into international or foreign waters, without a call at a foreign port, does not satisfy the foreign departure requirement. Therefore, certain fishing vessels, cruises to nowhere, or any vessel that leaves from a United States port and returns without calling a foreign port or place, has not departed the United States


Given the above - a sailing trip around the Coronados does not require a US checkin.
Thanks for the clarification
__________________
Stevens 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2013, 09:34   #15
Registered User

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Vancouver, Wash.
Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Posts: 1,794
Send a message via MSN to John A
Re: New requirements for entering in Mexico

Here's Latitude38's latest info about the Baha-ha-ha checking into Mexico

Latitude 38 - 'Lectronic Latitude
__________________

__________________
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
men, Mexico

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:07.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.