This was forwarded to me today. A copy of the a press release from the Sport Fishing
Association of California
. A summery of the meeting held in SD.
Paragraph 5 is of particular note to the situation of entering Mexican waters and not engaging in a activity
Good Tuesday Morning,
Just a quick update for you regarding the meeting last week.
Subject: Notice to Port Tenants and Sportfishing Association Community
Ladies and Gentlemen,
The following are key points from the meeting hosted in San Diego
by Mexican immigration on Thursday, 10/17/13. This meeting was the formal roll out of the new process where persons transiting to Mexican Territorial waters will be required to complete a visitor request form and pay on-line a $23 fee. The following are facts from the meeting.
1. The requirement for this process and the $23 fee is based in Mexican Law.
2. This applies in the Mexican Territorial waters from 0-12 miles from the Mexican shore or land mass.
3. The web site and instructions can be found at Inicio - Instituto Nacional de Migración
. There is an icon at the bottom of the page for visitors. Make sure to click the English
tab on the tab of the page to proceed.
4. As a product of the meeting SAC is providing Mexican Immigration with recommendations on how to streamline the process from the users standpoint.
5. Vessels passing through that are not intending to engage in an activity in the 12 miles have a right per international law that permits them innocent passage
with no requirement to participate in this process.
As refinements to the process are made we will inform you of the changes. This was clearly a positive meeting. The fact the Mexican leadership took the time to provide this meeting and go to the lengths it did demonstrated the level of cooperation that is growing in order to restore tourism to the region both north and south of the border. This meeting was attended from officials from throughout the regional government
. This includes the Port Commission, Port Tenants Association, Sportfishing Association of California
, City of San Diego
, Congressional/Senate Offices, and the business and recreational communities from Los Angeles to Ensenada. The news media was well represented with television, radio
and web based coverage.
As a footnote to this event our representatives will be meeting with the Immigration Leadership in Mexico
City Tuesday morning to provide recommendations from the meeting. We hope our recommendations for a multiple re-entry document and a more streamlined process will be adopted.
We will keep you updated as information is received.
Sportfishing Association of CA | 5000 N. Harbor Dr. | Ste. 100 | San Diego | CA | 92106