Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-05-2012, 17:22   #61

Boat: PETERSON 44
Not knowing the underbody of the design or slope of the beach. . Could it be backed onto the beech after being lightened. Perhaps load the bow heavy. Maybe then a substantial area could get glassed. DOJ raises a good no great idea. An alternate rudder arrangement..
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2012, 17:25   #62
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: Need Help: Cracked hull at Faraulep in the Carolinas

Thinking a bit more about the new rudder - it doesn't need to be on the stern!

Could have it alongside (say on the aft quarter - viking longship style!) where the steering is done as much by the angle of the blade as from any turning of it.

The main downside of any replacement rudder would be that needed to be helmed 24/7 - and probably someone also trimming the sails......and someone else manning the bilge pump, or bucket!
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2012, 17:34   #63
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Could be wise to unship the rudder and put it on deck, using a steering oar instead. Then there would be no rudder pressure on the skeg and its repair. Rudder would be easy to reinstall later.
the best policy is maybe to wait 4-6 weeks till the ship comes again with sufficient and correct materials to do a proper job.

without proper steering they are going to have a tough time getting to guam or into the lagoon in yap.
or out of faralap as the pass is fairly narrow and currents run strong

the risk is foundering on the 500mile trip to yap or 600mile to guam.
their are very few rescue options once they leave the lagoon,even a mile out side it is very unlikely the islanders would be able to rescue them.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2012, 17:46   #64
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
the best policy is maybe to wait 4-6 weeks till the ship comes again with sufficient and correct materials to do a proper job.
My concern about any "proper job" that could be done in situ (especially with limited drying out) is how good a job that would (or could) be - an awful lot of pressure will be on both that skeg and rudder. Even if the skeg and rudder don't break off (or create a worse leak) there is a risk that the rudder could jam, and that could well make the boat nigh on impossible to steer.

I don't see any "good" answers - whatever the Skipper does is likely to involve keeping fingers crossed.

The prudent thing to do would be to shrug shoulders and hop onto the supply ship with all the worldly goods one could...........but am guessing no insurance involved .
Old 25-05-2012, 18:00   #65
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
My concern about any "proper job" that could be done in situ (especially with limited drying out) is how good a job that would (or could) be - an awful lot of pressure will be on both that skeg and rudder. Even if the skeg and rudder don't break off (or create a worse leak) there is a risk that the rudder could jam, and that could well make the boat nigh on impossible to steer.

I don't see any "good" answers - whatever the Skipper does is likely to involve keeping fingers crossed.

The prudent thing to do would be to shrug shoulders and hop onto the supply ship with all the worldly goods one could...........but am guessing no insurance involved .
here is a little experiment for you.

take a normal filter ciggarette try bend it 90 degrees...it breaks.

now take a new ciggarette wrap it in the cellophane from the packet,i bet you can get it to bend 180 degrees without breaking it
Old 25-05-2012, 18:19   #66

Now I'm thinking how do you get her high on the beach. Stern in or bow in.?. Seems that's the first step. With some barrels strapped up at the turn if the bilge and a lightened hull could you get high enough to perform a proper repair. If she's well clear of the water then glassing it up is not an issue. Perhaps some timber or large diameter pipe layed below the keel and she could be rolled up and secured high and dry.
Old 25-05-2012, 18:39   #67
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
Now I'm thinking how do you get her high on the beach. Stern in or bow in.?. Seems that's the first step. With some barrels strapped up at the turn if the bilge and a lightened hull could you get high enough to perform a proper repair. If she's well clear of the water then glassing it up is not an issue. Perhaps some timber or large diameter pipe layed below the keel and she. Could be rolled up and secured high and dry.
great ideas,but this is one of the more remote atolls in the world,with little or no resources and a very small population (220),just gettin the yacht close to the beach is going to be a problem .

Caroline Islands - Faraulep

Faraulep - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 25-05-2012, 19:29   #68

Well that was pointless. I don't have a chart with contours. Guessing that if hauling stones is worth while then lightening and getting as far up is a good choice. Confused why you respond with a google image.
Old 25-05-2012, 19:37   #69

Hal Roth holed his boat and went way up on a formidable coast. The boat using very primitive technique was patched righted and launched. Odd that you dismiss the option of floating the boat higher for a good repair.no explanation but some wiki thing. If your beaching don't you beach as high and well as you can. Why would you not beach her as high as you coudl?
Old 25-05-2012, 19:46   #70
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
great ideas,but this is one of the more remote atolls in the world,with little or no resources and a very small population (220),just gettin the yacht close to the beach is going to be a problem .

Caroline Islands - Faraulep

Faraulep - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's a pretty small boat- maybe two or three sets of palm tree trunk sheers set in the sand on either side of the hull and crossed above it, lashed and guyed. Then two or three big chain falls to a line bridle around the hull, lift the boat a few feet, voila! Island travelift. Wonder what it weighs. Maybe the same effect could be acheived if a couple of salvage bags could be shipped in.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2012, 19:57   #71
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
Hal Roth holed his boat and went way up on a formidable coast. The boat using very primitive technique was patched righted and launched. Odd that you dismiss the option of floating the boat higher for a good repair.no explanation but some wiki thing. If your beaching don't you beach as high and well as you can. Why would you not beach her as high as you coudl?
Get it as high and dry as possible and fly one of the guys in from Guam that build the motor cats that the tourist float around on or get one of the PI boat builders and bring them on island or like someone else said get the goods off the boat and say bye -bye...if they jerry rig that boat and then set off in it they will not have the good will of the CG,Big Navy or what ever long line boat has to "rescue" them on their side,I think it would be irresponsible of them to set off without a proper repair the first time...DVC
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2012, 21:10   #72

Boat: Endeavour 42

One of the problems with removing the rudder is the challenge of manuvering his boat our of the lagoon. Looking at the satellite pics on his web site shows a pretty trashy entrance/exit. Tricky enough with a normal rudder.
Old 26-05-2012, 00:47   #73

Thanks for all the help guys. I have been sending each of your posts to David over the last couple of weeks. He is working on the cofferdam idea and is working with two marine surveyors - one in cairns and one in Guam who have both advised on the repair. This repair is temporary as his real repair kit is still in yap and will get to him June 15th ish. I have even forwarded him the ideas of phoning insurance agents etc and removing the rudder completely. He can't read the comments on his blog so I e- mail those to him to nor can he post directly here but I know he appreciates the ideas. Apologies for not letting you know earlier. I am just a little slow with computers. Really appreciate the help guys. Magic.
Nonbirigee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2012, 01:43   #74
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cptn Happy View Post
One of the problems with removing the rudder is the challenge of manuvering his boat our of the lagoon. Looking at the satellite pics on his web site shows a pretty trashy entrance/exit.
Maybe if the locals have canoes (or something with an o/b?) they could help shepherd him out? and pick a nice day (if possible).

Quote:
Tricky enough with a normal rudder.
Obviously
Old 26-05-2012, 01:49   #75
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonbirigee View Post
I have even forwarded him the ideas of phoning insurance agents etc and removing the rudder completely. He can't read the comments on his blog so I e- mail those to him to nor can he post directly here but I know he appreciates the ideas. Apologies for not letting you know earlier. I am just a little slow with computers. Really appreciate the help guys. Magic.
Feedback is nice .

I figure that the more ideas the better, as whilst of course everyone here is pretty much shooting blind as they can't get eyes and hands on - nonetheless someone may come up something not thought of that might work (or at least half an idea that could be adapted).

Fingers crossed

Tags
hull