Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2012, 07:49   #91
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat
Re: Need Help: Cracked hull at Faraulep in the Carolinas

Quote:
Originally Posted by foolishsailor View Post
Eagerly awaiting his first test sail. To be frank, I am not hopeful. I can't see glass applied without substantial through bolts and frames holding up to the journey he has to undertake. But I wish him the best nonetheless, fabulous story.

Some pics of the repair would certainly be enlightening. I heard no mention of a grinder or even sanding for prep, if that is the case his patch will almost certainly fail. Hope they can find a way to get it aboard a ship, sounds like he is considering that option. Would certainly be a lot safer that way.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:32   #92
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Sorry to be jumping in so late in the thread; I haven't spent much time on the forum this past month.

Here's a variation of the DOJ scheme that should be doable if a Scanmar SOS rudder can be shipped in.

The emergency rudder can be attached to a sugar scoop transom while it's in the water. I've done this on my own boat. Takes a drill, eight bolts, and a tube of 5200. Mine took no more than an hour to attach permanently.

Once the emergency rudder is attached, drop the existing rudder. I doubt that the skeg would have to be cut off at that point, since there won't be much pressure on it once the original rudder has been dropped.

The Scanmar SOS rudder will have no trouble steering an 8,000kg boat. Downside will be the inability to attach an autopilot.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:23   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
Sorry to be jumping in so late in the thread; I haven't spent much time on the forum this past month.

Here's a variation of the DOJ scheme that should be doable if a Scanmar SOS rudder can be shipped in.

The emergency rudder can be attached to a sugar scoop transom while it's in the water. I've done this on my own boat. Takes a drill, eight bolts, and a tube of 5200. Mine took no more than an hour to attach permanently.

Once the emergency rudder is attached, drop the existing rudder. I doubt that the skeg would have to be cut off at that point, since there won't be much pressure on it once the original rudder has been dropped.

The Scanmar SOS rudder will have no trouble steering an 8,000kg boat. Downside will be the inability to attach an autopilot.
This is a great suggestion.. Looks like Scanmar has thought of everything and will provide a full kit for a relatively easy installation. Only disadvantage is that it will take some time to get it there.

But there is no doubt in my mind that this is the best way to save that boat, and keep its crew safe until they get to Guam or where ever they want to go for final repairs.

And actually a tillerpilot could be used. Scanmar might even include one in the kit that will work with the tiller supplied on that boat. Or, for self steering under sail, isn't there a tried and true simple system that needs just some line and turning blocks?
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:57   #94
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: Need Help: Cracked hull at Faraulep in Carolinas

WRT shipping, it may be worth checking the USPS, US Postal Service.

Odd as it might seem, Guam is a US insular possession and as such served by the USPS, which even more oddly has the contract to deliver the mails in Micronesia, which is listed as a US state in the USPS destination lists. "Federated States of Micronesia" followed by "Florida" in the same list of states!

So it may be entirely possible to get everything delivered by US Mail at reasonable rates.

Jury-rigging a rudder repair good for 1000 miles at sea...that's probably going to take a few days and some discussions to figure out. And it might be worth rigging a steering oar in case the rudder repair lets go at sea.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:52   #95

Boat: Sailboat

Yap does have a marine railway in Colonia, which was in good condition back in 12/2010. They could have hauled us, 44ft, 6ft draft, 14tons.

I think, this would be a better place for a permanent repair, 400nm downwind from Farulep.

Dirk
LeaseOnLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 12:58   #96
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
WRT shipping, it may be worth checking the USPS, US Postal Service.

Odd as it might seem, Guam is a US insular possession and as such served by the USPS, which even more oddly has the contract to deliver the mails in Micronesia, which is listed as a US state in the USPS destination lists. "Federated States of Micronesia" followed by "Florida" in the same list of states!

So it may be entirely possible to get everything delivered by US Mail at reasonable rates.

Jury-rigging a rudder repair good for 1000 miles at sea...that's probably going to take a few days and some discussions to figure out. And it might be worth rigging a steering oar in case the rudder repair lets go at sea.
I waited for 3 years to get a postal address in Guam.most mail was "general delivery" and I dont belive they had RFD service and mail service to the outer islands was fair but not great...dont know the name of the company now that does next day delivery but it used to be Flying Tigers, they would deliver anywhere for a price...DVC
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 20:40   #97
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Shipping to Guam | Lynden Inc.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:53   #98
Pusher of String

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Trisbal 42, Aluminum Cutter Rigged Sloop
The adventure continues. David is almost at Yap. The sea has been very kind.

http://www.sailblogs.com/member/yarr...xjMsgID=226808

"You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm."
Sidonie Gabrielle Colette
foolishsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:41   #99

They seem to have done some good planning and are catching what appears to be an optimal weather window. Hoping the next news we hear is that they are safe in Yap and ready for permanent repairs.

Truly an amazing adventure!
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2012, 15:48   #100

Boat: CS 40

Any updates? TS Guchol must be kicking up some wind and seas...

Hoping for the best.
mikefossl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2012, 17:12   #101
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

in yap,now safely anchored in lagoon,awaiting developement of the tropical cyclone!!!!!
somebody didnt give neptune a tot when crossing the equator methinks!!!!!

latest blog here
Just when we thought it was safe... | Towards Sydney
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2012, 18:14   #102
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
in yap,now safely anchored in lagoon,awaiting developement of the tropical cyclone!!!!!
somebody didnt give neptune a tot when crossing the equator methinks!!!!!

latest blog here
Just when we thought it was safe... | Towards Sydney
Good call going to the big little island rather than risking Guam(the biggest little island)...Typhoons are not to be taken lightly and the time of the year they are there is the worse with the exception of Aug & Sep when they come in one after the other with little time to repair damage from the first one that comes thru...I was there once when we had 5 typhoons in a season and the worst earth quake to hit anywhere in the world for the previous 100 yrs.. It is the worst place in the world for nature to show her butt...We have seen fish(Mahi) 4 miles inland after a storm goes by...those fellows have made a very wise choice to head for Yap proper rather than risk going anywhere else...They seem to be able to roll with the changes,roll with the changes you gotta,gotta keep on rolling,keep on rolling, roll with the changes baby yea,roll with the changes and keep on rolling,keep on rolling...wow got carried away there ,anyway they seem to be doing good and I hope the water ruler keeps on helping them till they reach their final destination...DVC
Old 19-06-2012, 04:37   #103
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

a happy ending,on the hard on the fisheries railway in yap
photo here
In Yap | Towards Sydney
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2012, 04:39   #104
Pusher of String

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Trisbal 42, Aluminum Cutter Rigged Sloop
Great adventure. I hope he keeps posting about their approach to a full repair. They are nOt out of the woods yet.

"You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm."
Sidonie Gabrielle Colette
foolishsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2012, 09:14   #105
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by foolishsailor View Post
Great adventure. I hope he keeps posting about their approach to a full repair. They are nOt out of the woods yet.
So true ,never let your guard down when in Typoon Alley...David sent me an Email and said that my friends(Alex) son was fixing the boat and I know they are in good hands..I had a feeling that they would meet Alexander before it was all over...hope all goes well from here on out...DVC

Tags
hull