Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-05-2012, 02:58   #76
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: Need Help: Cracked hull at Faraulep in the Carolinas

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
Well that was pointless. I don't have a chart with contours. Guessing that if hauling stones is worth while then lightening and getting as far up is a good choice. Confused why you respond with a google image.
it was an effort to try impart a bit of situational awareness.

the boat weight looks to be around 8000 kg,the lagoon is about 20m (60ft),then shelves to less than a meter(2ft),200m(600ft) from the beach,draft is about 1m70(6ft).

the locals only have coconut fibre rope,and coconut tree logs,that they dont really like cutting down.

assuming the ship in the next few weeks did bring in a 20 ton come-along-whinch,and 400 meters of cable,chain etc and were able to drag the boat the 600 ft to the beach.over coral bommies 2 ft deep....how do you get it back in one piece!

the nearest hardware store is 645 km away or (4 day sea journey) if you need a nail or a bit of wire,more sophisticated stuff has to come from even further away
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2012, 03:45   #77

Boat: Dufour 35

Thinking about what I would do in a similar situation.
I have not read the whole thread and don't know if this idea has popped up earlier.
One option I would consider, is to use the one powerful lever on the boat. The mast.
Find a sandy patch to place the keel on at HW. Use a halyard to pull the top of the mast forward and "lift" the stern and rudder out of the water.

Securing both stern and bow sideways (athwartship) to prevent any tripping, becomes very important. The boat will rest on the bow and the forward tip of the keel. The masthead should also be secured athwartship.
I have never tried this, and it's nothing I would consider unless there are few other alternatives.

Hopefully the damaged area would come high enough, to dry out and facilitate repairs.

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2012, 04:11   #78
Armchair Bucketeer

Steering Oars

The sugar scoop transom should not be a bar to something like this:-

But for a steering oar on the side of the boat a variation on something like these:-

Obviously a squillion more images and reference sources via Google - but just to say that whilst also having rows of oars does look useful!, the Steering Oar did predate the rudder (which is of course a better design) and not simply when also with oars - folks still got about under sail, just not as efficiently as with a rudder!
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2012, 06:18   #79
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

nice photos,but for the want of a fairly simple patch,that can easily be made on the beach then attached underwater forming a strong structural repair,and replacing a tried and tested steering system,and still have to find a way of sealing the crack effectively seems a bit silly...............
Old 26-05-2012, 09:00   #80

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

If the yacht weighs 8000 kgs, then I would put it on the ship that's due on 15 June and ship it out.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2012, 09:07   #81

Send a message via Skype™ to mdvick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
If the yacht weighs 8000 kgs, then I would put it on the ship that's due on 15 June and ship it out.

Pete
+++1
If you have an option and safety is foremost in your quiver of tools, this is the only sensible option - IMHO>

Good luck.
Old 26-05-2012, 09:09   #82

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
it was an effort to try impart a bit of situational awareness.
It worked, along with Google Earth I wanted to see just how bad his predicament was and its not good, you can't help feel for the guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
The boat weight looks to be around 8000 kg,the lagoon is about 20m (60ft),then shelves to less than a meter(2ft),200m(600ft) from the beach,draft is about 1m70(6ft).
That isn't good news either and completely stuffs any idea of getting up on to a beach. There is just a chance putting those rocks in the bow will lift the stern high enough to get the skeg out of the water, seen it before to get a rope off a prop.

Pete
Old 26-05-2012, 10:42   #83
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

These men are going to be working in the rain for the next few months...hope he gets some good help ,heard it said that it is the lazyiest place on earth and they think if you have 3 -T shrits then you have 2 to many and so they will take them, thinking nothing of wearing it in front of you the next day..keeping tools is always a problem,they just seem to walk away on their own..they share everything and I mean everything!I bought one a pepsi one time and he took it back to the bungalo and poured everyone there an equal amount in paper cups, then they filled the cups with water to make it seem like there was more and another time a dog got run down on the road and I had eight of them in a VW van and they wanted that dog.I was taking them home and they said that they wanted to cook him in my oven and explained that there were to many people at there house and there wasnt enough for all of them(14),I told them my wife wouldnt like that idea!.. I hope they get it fixed right and continue on there journey..where are they going?..DVC
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2012, 12:33   #84
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post

Pete
assuming the ship is big enough to lift it you stiil have the problem that the ship cannot enter the lagoon.

outside there is allways a ground swell 1-2 meters,combined with the rolling of the ship,could make getting slings on a very dangerous exercise.

plus a cradle would be needed and the mast dropped first.
Old 26-05-2012, 19:19   #85

Thanks. David out up a new blog last night describing the fix http://www.sailblogs.com/member/yarramundi/
Nonbirigee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2012, 01:00   #86
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

thanks for the update,fingers crossed on the repair,
although bolting thru a fiberglass hull may be counterintuitive it is the way to go in this case.
Old 27-05-2012, 02:46   #87
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

The thing that stood out to me in reading his blog is the generosity of the local folks, who are going all out to help him repair his boat. The "spirit of aloha" is alive and well on Faraulap.
Old 29-05-2012, 00:07   #88

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Folks, I have deleted a couple of posts so this thread doesn't wander off topic. Its quite facinating and I really hope he is able to save his yacht but I recon he needs a good couple of rolls of those dice.

Pete
Old 04-06-2012, 05:40   #89
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

latest on the repair at faraulep,interesting to see the progress they have made.
as i have been on a difficult delivery for the last week i have not had net access.
great to hear they have been checking this thread,and sent their thanks to all who posted.
more here
Another anchor story | Towards Sydney
Old 04-06-2012, 06:01   #90
Pusher of String

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Trisbal 42, Aluminum Cutter Rigged Sloop
Haven't been anywhere near that area in over a decade. So nice to follow his experience, harkens back to days the last generation experienced with his interactions and the locals.

Eagerly awaiting his first test sail. To be frank, I am not hopeful. I can't see glass applied without substantial through bolts and frames holding up to the journey he has to undertake. But I wish him the best nonetheless, fabulous story.

Who should post about the myth of the effect of a kettle on the catenary of an anchor rode? How much effect can even a 100kg kettle have on a pull of multiple thousands of pounds...thread drift, maybe.

"You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm."
Sidonie Gabrielle Colette
foolishsailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull