Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-05-2011, 15:30   #91
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Re: Nanaimo, BC Changes

Must be an unusual day there's always boats moored when I go by, which is pretty often. It is a busy spot though but if you're looking for the city experience not a bad spot for a couple of days.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2011, 15:34   #92

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

Got my brand new Washington State boater certificate so now I can come up and stay for 46 days if I need to. If all the bouys are unused that's more for me.

Todd
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2011, 15:37   #93
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdoraKeeper View Post
Got my brand new Washington State boater certificate so now I can come up and stay for 46 days if I need to. If all the bouys are unused that's more for me.

Todd
Is that a new form of border pass?

Old 22-05-2011, 15:46   #94

Boat: Hardin 45 Voyager Alice B., Gig Harbor 10, Orca 7 1/2 sloop, 16' sea kayak

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post
Is that a new form of border pass?
It's a "competency" certificate being phased in by the late great state of Washington. Soon all operators born after 1955 will be required to carry one at all times, CG card carriers are exempt. The poster I believe was referring to the Province of British Columbia's 45 day operation exemption.
capnorv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2011, 15:51   #95

Boat: 54 foot MV Viking 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdoraKeeper View Post

Todd
Hi Todd,

Just so you know the BC Parks limit the amount of days allowed inside Park Boundaries. I believe it is either 10 or 14 days per year. The rest of Nanaimo Harbour is crowded because of these #*@! mooring buoys. The Nanaimo Port Authourity limits your stay to 14 days within the rest of the harbour. Beyond that you need to qualify for and obtain an extended stay permit. My apologies that my home town isnt more boater friendly but that is what the bureaucrats came up with.
Old 23-05-2011, 08:14   #96

Boat: Tayana 37

Visited Nanaimo last week and was quite disappointed to see the extent of the mooring field. As previously stated the inner anchorage is now more or less closed off. Unless you are prepared to pay a fee for an overnight mooring you have to anchor in the more exposed anchorage close to the main channel and seaplane take off area, which is noisy and far more exposed. While I was there I went to the Nanaimo Port facility to find out the logic behind the installation of this "Pox on the water". The person I spoke to confirmed that Nanaimo Port Authority had no input into the installation of the buoys and found the whole thing quite bizarre. Apparently BC Parks were the driving force behind the project, which again is quite surprising as they are claiming to be unable to maintain their existing facilities (such a waste of funds may explain why!!)

It is beyond my understanding/comprehension how anyone can support this style of mooring, to my mind its the nautical equivalent of a trailer park and is certainly not how I wish to spend my leisure time. While I was there I didn't see anyone using these buoys, for myself I will now be bypassing Nanaimo from and stopping Silva Bay or crossing over to the Sunshine Coast.

Bill
Ancient.Mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2011, 08:20   #97
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Well, it was a trailer park. Part of this story is that people were permanently anchored there and others using it as an anchorage for Nanaimo not the park. We've heard complaints from someone used to anchoring there and using the showers for free.

For better or worse it is a park and judging by the attitudes of people who are upset by having to pay for use of the facilities it's not surprising they were having trouble maintaining the facilities.

Old 23-05-2011, 17:36   #98

Boat: S2 35c

IdoraKeeper you should be aware are only 12 bouys for boats over 30 feet to a maximum of 40 the rest are for under 30 feet and all are rated to a max of 30 knots which happens frequently in Nanaimo. Check with your insurance , Hub International will void your insurance if there is a forecast for 30 knot winds as in a small craft warning and you tie up to one of these bouys.
Maggie-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2011, 17:41   #99

Boat: S2 35c

Ancient.Mariner you should also be aware Pacific Yachting magazine contributed $20 thousand dollars toward the bouys. and vigorously defends them.
Maggie-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2011, 18:07   #100

Boat: 29'

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post
Well, it was a trailer park. Part of this story is that people were permanently anchored there and others using it as an anchorage for Nanaimo not the park. We've heard complaints from someone used to anchoring there and using the showers for free.

For better or worse it is a park and judging by the attitudes of people who are upset by having to pay for use of the facilities it's not surprising they were having trouble maintaining the facilities.
Do you have any examples of park users being encumbered by (specifically)
"...others using it as an anchorage for Nanaimo not the park"

It worked pretty well as it was.Visitors went for a walk in the park,then to town for whatever and so on.Why wreck it?

The park itself is an island.The waters adjacent also a park?You think?Funny, because a Parking Lot is what they made it into!

And how much worse are "permanently anchored there" than a bunch of buoys?
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2011, 22:33   #101

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54
Re: Nanaimo , BC Changes

Thank You, Pacific Yachting... I used to buy your magazine every month when I lived in BC... with your support of The Nanaimo Gestapo, I'll be sure to take a pass on my next trip to BC... Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2011, 22:36   #102
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappySeagull View Post
Do you have any examples of park users being encumbered by (specifically)
"...others using it as an anchorage for Nanaimo not the park"

It worked pretty well as it was.Visitors went for a walk in the park,then to town for whatever and so on.Why wreck it?

The park itself is an island.The waters adjacent also a park?You think?Funny, because a Parking Lot is what they made it into!

And how much worse are "permanently anchored there" than a bunch of buoys?
You can always read through the thread if you want examples.

It is worse if it's a public park (which it is). Go through up a tent in Stanley Park and see how long you last.

Old 25-05-2011, 16:24   #103

Boat: Tayana 37

Like most I used to anchor out and then use the dinghy to get to the park for walk and get an ice cream or a burger dependent on the weather. In the evening we would either go to the Dinghy Dock or go into Nanaimo for a meal and for some supplies. My few cents will most likely not be missed but its still a sad situation as I used to look forward to the nights I spent at anchor there.

Maggi-K, as for Pacific Yachting Ive sent the an email registering my disgust but strangely enough there was no reply, not even an acknowledgment. I certainly shan't be buying their publication anymore.
Ancient.Mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2011, 18:26   #104

Boat: looking

In the "Letters" section of the May/2011 issue of PY, in response to a letter from a Mr. Eric Eder, the editors state that the specs for the buoys are the same as those found at all of our prov. marine parks. They state that; "the different size restrictions are a result of the shallower waters and decreased swing room closer in to shore", and, that; "The wind restriction stickers were placed for liability reasons", but that one can use them in higher winds and seas, "at their own peril".

The article also states that the new buoys are all within the prov. park boundaries, not in areas under the jurisdiction of the Nanaimo Harbour Authority.

This is the first PY edition that I've bought in about 2 years, due to the ever increasing volume of advertising that fills the magazine. In the "Currents" section, they have an article entitled, "B.C. Liveaboards Unite For Rights", about the BCNRA. Perhaps, Rick Schnurr, et al, are getting through to the local magazines, if not the provincial & local governments.

FYI, The BCNRA has a web-site: www.bcnr.org
bangkaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2011, 19:48   #105

Boat: Cal 2-29
Thumbs down Re: Nanaimo, BC Changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie-K View Post
Ancient.Mariner you should also be aware Pacific Yachting magazine contributed $20 thousand dollars toward the bouys. and vigorously defends them.
Just another reason to boycot this real estate rag.
nylajo is offline   Reply With Quote