Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-05-2011, 20:14   #106
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Re: Nanaimo, BC Changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by nylajo View Post
Just another reason to boycot this real estate rag.
Really. Did you read the post just previous to yours? They donate $20,000 to a marine park and you think it's a reason to boycott them?

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2011, 20:17   #107

Boat: 37ft pilothouse in the PNW
Re: Nanaimo , BC Changes

no the real reason i think to boycott them is the horrendous amount of advertising. half the magazine is advertising, ive been a subscriber to PY for years now but when my subscription comes up for renewal in july i will not be renewing.
Old 25-05-2011, 20:21   #108

Boat: Maine Cat 41

I'm heading north now and Nanaimo will NOT be on my list of stopping places. Too bad, it was quite convenient but now.... well, it's not gonna happen. I wrote my email of 'disappointment' some time ago, no response. Going to be interesting to see how it plays out this year.
cchesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 08:18   #109

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Anyone checked out Avalon Harbor on Catalina Island, CA. Now that's what I call a mooring field! Great place to spend a week or weekend. Not sure I can afford a month, though. Cheers, Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 08:50   #110

Boat: Hedley Nicol Vagabond MK2, 37'

As a multihull we don't mind grounding out on low water in the shallow part of the bay when the tide goes out. Can you still get in there or is there a sign prohibiting anchorage? I saw a comment on only 50 registered private buoys in Washington. There are of course thousands of private buoys- most people haven't caught up with the bureaucracy and done the paperwork but people will chase you off them and only a fool would tie to unknown groundtackle. Many of these locations have been installed and maintained for decades and have documented locations for the divers who perform service.
Cavalier MK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 00:36   #111

Boat: Tayana 37

Had cause to stop off in Nanaimo a week or so ago, had a mechanical issue which was serious enough to need attention rather than pushing on. Its the first time Ive been there for a couple of years, more or less since these buoys were installed. I arrived at 10 at night, the weather wasn't too good and I found it quite difficult to get a spot to drop anchor which was sheltered given the amount of room taken up by the buoy field and the number of boats in the anchorage (most of which were unlit).

In the morning I had a look around and there was no one using the buoys but they bock off over 50% (estimate) of the area available.

Normally I would have stayed in the anchorage for a couple of days but due the limited area available and to proximity of the other unattended boats I got the parts I needed and left straight away to find a more secluded anchorage in which to do the repairs.

On the rare occasions when I drive by I have a look to see if anyone is using them, even in the summer i hardly ever see anyone there.

Is there any update on whether they have been a success or are they costing more in maintenance (thats assuming someone actually maintains them) than any revenue they generate.
Ancient.Mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 15:43   #112

Boat: Beneteau Evasion 36

I went thru Nanaimo 3 times this summer and anchored each time with no problem. The moorings are mostly in Marks Bay and in front of the docks.

As others have pointed out the moorings were mostly empty. I find that interesting since for the same price the moorings in Washington State Parks fill up long before the "cheap seats", as a friend calls them are taken by anchorers. The only difference I can see is that we can buy a mooring pass which gives "free" moorage on any state park buoy or dock.

I don't know if this is the case in BC but here in Washington there is a move to educate folks to not anchor in shallow water as it damages the eel grass beds. Maybe that is part of the thinking in Marks Bay?

Rick
S/V Winterhawk
Rick Nordby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 15:50   #113

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Don't think the Nanaimo folks that oversee the moorings in Marks' Bay are that smart, Rick. When you have shoreside politicians and administrators making seaside decisions, you are bound to get some really dumb things happen. Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 16:02   #114

Boat: Sceptre 36

I don't know if this is the case in BC but here in Washington there is a move to educate folks to not anchor in shallow water as it damages the eel grass beds. Maybe that is part of the thinking in Marks Bay?

Rick
S/V Winterhawk[/QUOTE]

That is exactly the thinking. So many thousands of boats have dragged over the years that the bottom is a mess. The major thrust for the installation was environmental protection.
Rex Delay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 19:35   #115

Boat: 54 foot MV Viking 1
Cool Re: Nanaimo , BC Changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Delay View Post

Rick
S/V Winterhawk

That is exactly the thinking. So many thousands of boats have dragged over the years that the bottom is a mess. The major thrust for the installation was environmental protection.[/QUOTE]

The bottom is not a mess, it is good holding ground. Granted it has been well plowed over the years with 150 years of being used as a traditional anchorage. It was a shortsighted decision to have an extra revenue stream for BC Parks and they managed to convince the yachties in PY magazine along with a few others to pay for it (ie City of Nanaimo). It seems to work for a few of the Nanaimo boaters that only leave the marina slip a few days a year and dont have a clue how to use there anchor gear though. Unfortunately if your boat is over 40 feet you are SOL on being allowed in Mark Bay.