Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-04-2011, 18:16   #76

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer
Re: Nanaimo, BC Changes

How far can you stretch the 40 foot limit. LOL
Old 18-04-2011, 18:26   #77

Boat: 37ft pilothouse in the PNW

seems so bizarre how this thread seems to have shifted from its true purpose to a personal attack at mr swain. i personally do not know mr swain but i live in an area that when mr swains name is mentioned its said so with much respect, he has lived onboard and cruised longer than most of us ever even dreamed of boating. and perhaps he may be a little extremist in his opinions but seeing the things that he has im sure he is entitled. we all see changes happening in the world on a daily basis some of them we may be able to change and some we may not but one will never know unless they try. i for one would rather try to keep our anchorages free even if its just making other boaters more informed about events that are happening.
Old 18-04-2011, 18:53   #78
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

It's not meant as an attack on Mr. Swain at all, however he has made some claims with regards to his original assertions that haven't held up to scrutiny. Some people would prefer to make the decision about where to visit based on something more substantial then what begins to appear as a personal cause. He may have some good points about the approach taken at Nanaimo but they've been ill served, in my opinion, by his use of misinformation.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2011, 20:08   #79

Boat: Brent Swain Pilot House 36' Steel Sloop

Every year since 1992 I have been dropping the hook outside of Mud Bay enjoying the ambiance of the place; shopped locally and even built my steel boat almost exclusively with supplies from Nanaimo. And then the "watching" began with repeated daily harbour patrols (..not a peaceful, easy feeling there); and now a bureaucratization of the entire harbour. Who gave them the ocean? Some welcome mat. Did you know that Nanaimo on the highway approaches has great big anchor "gateways" symbolically welcoming voyagers of the highways; signifying a true lighthouse of maritime tradition and welcome for all travellers. We know better now. This entire harbour with its just installed cheesy looking mooring bouys is a disgrace and has ruined a gorgeous looking little harbour. This harbour is no longer worth even thinking about visiting. Give Nanaimo a pass folks until this city wakes up and finds it can't afford the bunch running things right now.

Gary Prebble
bcguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2011, 20:50   #80

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Those who are comfortable with authorities, be it municipal, state/provincial or federal, removing freedoms that have been enjoyed for decades should have no problem with the gradual erosion of independence or choice. The phrase, '... it is for the good of the community...' or '... it falls within the purvue of...' is commonly heard from bureaucrats who have decided that they know better what is in the best interests of all concerned, including you.
If a private company places restrictions on land use that they own, that is their perogative. However, when elected officials act, based on their perception of what is 'right' for the folks they claim to represent, we have big problems. If a vote or canvass of those affected occurred, then there should not be an argument but to invoke a sort of maritime 'imminent domain' seems high handed and of questionable legality.
IMHO, bcguy and Brent Swain are the vanguard against this creeping authoritarianism which is becoming all to prevalent in today's society. I don't agree with Brent in all matters but I admire and support him in his fight to secure freedom for cruisers and liveaboards on the BC coast. It sure sounds like there is a creeping control infecting popular boating and liveaboard destinations in BC... just sayin'... Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2011, 23:57   #81

Boat: Triton 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post
IMHO, bcguy and Brent Swain are the vanguard against this creeping authoritarianism which is becoming all to prevalent in today's society.
And the problems are most evident when creeping authoritarianism encounters another modern plague, creeping entitlement.
genomic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2011, 02:26   #82

Boat: 40' Northstar Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelmrc View Post
seems so bizarre how this thread seems to have shifted from its true purpose to a personal attack at mr swain. i personally do not know mr swain but i live in an area that when mr swains name is mentioned its said so with much respect, he has lived onboard and cruised longer than most of us ever even dreamed of boating. and perhaps he may be a little extremist in his opinions but seeing the things that he has im sure he is entitled. we all see changes happening in the world on a daily basis some of them we may be able to change and some we may not but one will never know unless they try. i for one would rather try to keep our anchorages free even if its just making other boaters more informed about events that are happening.
I'm pretty sure I saw your boat tied to one of the park moorings at Montague. Although I did drink a lot of rum that day.

Change is bound to happen, and I would suspect many boaters will appreciate these moorings. I also suspect they will all be used most days this summer.

As to the conspiracy involving Ladysmith and Gibson's, I've never heard of any pay-by-the-day moorings outside of provincial parks. Who in Ladysmith would collect the money? Maybe I ought to get myself a uniform, something real official looking. I could make a few extra bucks.
ahnutts! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2011, 04:14   #83
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

“I either believe what I say, or I’m a fraud. It’s one of the two.” ~ Glenn Beck
News Hounds: Glenn Beck

In 1995, Professor Douglas Melton, of the Harvard University Biology department, said, "If you put a frog in boiling water, it won't jump out. It will die. If you put it in cold water, it will jump before it gets hot — they don't sit still for you." Dr. George R. Zug, curator of reptiles and amphibians at the National Museum of Natural History, also rejected the suggestion, saying that "If a frog had a means of getting out, it certainly would get out."[1]

In 2002 Dr. Victor H. Hutchison, Professor Emeritus of Zoology at the University of Oklahoma, with a research interest in thermal relations of amphibians, said that "The legend is entirely incorrect!". He described how the critical thermal maximum for many frog species has been determined by contemporary research experiments: as the water is heated by about 2 °F, or 1.1 °C, per minute, the frog becomes increasingly active as it tries to escape, and eventually jumps out if the container allows it.[2][3]

1: Next Time, What Say We Boil a Consultant | Fast Company
2: THE LEGEND OF THE BOILING FROG IS JUST A LEGEND
3: Department of Zoology, University of Oklahoma

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2011, 06:52   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahnutts! View Post
I'm pretty sure I saw your boat tied to one of the park moorings at Montague. Although I did drink a lot of rum that day.

Change is bound to happen, and I would suspect many boaters will appreciate these moorings. I also suspect they will all be used most days this summer.

As to the conspiracy involving Ladysmith and Gibson's, I've never heard of any pay-by-the-day moorings outside of provincial parks. Who in Ladysmith would collect the money? Maybe I ought to get myself a uniform, something real official looking. I could make a few extra bucks.
i have nothing against mooring balls i think they are great but i do think that it should be your choice. if you prefer to anchor out and not have to pay the $12 per night then you should be allowed to. i dont know about gibsons but have heard many rumors about the ladysmith harbour and would hate to see our nice little harbour all filled up with mooring buoys
Old 19-04-2011, 08:02   #85

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Hey, Gord... I now know more about frogs than I ever thought I would! Thx!
Well said, Genomic... Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2011, 08:08   #86

Boat: S2 35c

HA HA Gord I knew you could not let it go , I hope you didn't waste too many hours of your life proving your point .
Maggie-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2011, 11:10   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelmrc View Post
i have nothing against mooring balls i think they are great but i do think that it should be your choice. if you prefer to anchor out and not have to pay the $12 per night then you should be allowed to. i dont know about gibsons but have heard many rumors about the ladysmith harbour and would hate to see our nice little harbour all filled up with mooring buoys
If they filled Ladysmith Harbour with moorings and charged $12 it would take them 500 years to recoup their cost. Its just not that popular an anchorage. The only reason I can think of that they would even consider it is to try to clear out the dog patch.(and please no one try to say there's no derelicts there, I see em sinking regularly)
Old 19-04-2011, 11:20   #88

oh for sure there is some derelicts there no question about that there are also a few respectable vessels there as well.
Old 19-04-2011, 12:29   #89

My point is, Ladysmith doesn't have a port authority and there are no Provincial parks. So I doubt very much they would be able to put down moorings even if they wanted to, and if it ever did come about it would likely be a small portion of the usable anchorage.
Old 22-05-2011, 15:24   #90
cruiser

I just passed through Nananimo by land. While there was not a single boat on any of the moorings , driven away no doubt by the noise and the cost, the rest of the anchorage was crowded already, with not much room for more boats, well before the start of cruising season. Expect it to get much worse, for what? A super noisy harbour, with airplanes taking of a few meters above our masts, from early morning on, who's officials believe it is their job to harass cruises, and enforce a limit on how many rows to town you are allowed?
As for suggesting the "Catalina " solutions, I don't think cruisers wish to be subject to such a plan of "economic apartheid" designating some harbours as " for the rich only" , and others ghettos for the riff raff. I don't think many want to see this precedent spread across BC. It won't make cruising" better" for the majority of us.
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote