Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2010, 16:00   #211
cruiser

I just got an email that those in Oak Bay plan to put up a hell of a legal fight,to set a legal precedent for the entire coast. Wish them the best of luck ,for the freedom of us all, and future generations..
Old 11-04-2010, 17:32   #212

Boat: S2 35c
You heard right Brent . Oak Bay does not even have a port authority like Nanaimo the city council has decided to make their own laws with no regard for federal law.
Please avoid the harbor and marina at Oak bay this summer in your travels. There is no reason to support cities who want to gouge boaters.
Old 12-04-2010, 13:11   #213
cruiser

Courts have already ruled that anchoring is navigation, and as such , it falls under federal jurisdiction.
Old 23-06-2010, 16:45   #214
cruiser

With cruising season in BC beginning, it's time for all those who don't want anchoring fees to spread across the BC coast, to remember to boycott Nanaimo his summer.
Old 23-06-2010, 16:53   #215
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Thx Brent!
Old 18-07-2010, 11:56   #216

Boat: Tanzer 26
This is related to the subject of derelict or longterm anchored boats in the Gulf Islands.

I'd like to bring to your attention the situation at the gov't dock at Degnen Bay, Gabrioloa Island. Last summer we pulled into the bay after a long day's sail over the Strait; we picked Degnen over Silva Bay because of the forecasted strong NW wind overnight. Firstly, it was almost impossible to anchor because the bay is full of boats on private mooring buoys. Secondly the govt dock was completely full and none of the boats looked like they would be leaving anytime soon. We suspect the boats are moored longterm by residents or cruisers, free of charge.

Whose jurisdiction is it to make sure that if there is a time limit (and I'm assuming at a govt. dock there is a time limit) that boat owners are adhering to it?
I've emailed a couple of govt' bodies, and have been told that 'its not in our jurisdiction'.
Old 18-07-2010, 13:55   #217

Boat: 1966 Buchan 37
Same at Eagle harbor

Did a quick overnighter at Eagle Harbor in Bainbridge Isand last week. The city has placed mooring bouys over the entire anchorage spaced so anchoring is imposible. After reading the master plan (online), I believe the bouy's are for permanant moorage for residents and liveaboards, any non pre-permitted bouys were removed and the owners had to apply for the new ones and pay the fee's. The result is if you want to stay at Eagle harbor you must pay for use of the transient float out in the bay (holds about 10 boats max) or get guest moorage at one of the marinas. When I was there about 30% of the floats were vacant but I realy don't know if they were unused or the tenants were just somewhere else that weekend but the bottom line here is there is no more free space at Eagle Harbor. This could be a "best solution compromise" for a popular harbor but I hope it's not a trend.
Old 18-07-2010, 17:10   #218
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrozier View Post
This is related to the subject of derelict or longterm anchored boats in the Gulf Islands.

I'd like to bring to your attention the situation at the gov't dock at Degnen Bay, Gabrioloa Island. Last summer we pulled into the bay after a long day's sail over the Strait; we picked Degnen over Silva Bay because of the forecasted strong NW wind overnight. Firstly, it was almost impossible to anchor because the bay is full of boats on private mooring buoys. Secondly the govt dock was completely full and none of the boats looked like they would be leaving anytime soon. We suspect the boats are moored longterm by residents or cruisers, free of charge.

Whose jurisdiction is it to make sure that if there is a time limit (and I'm assuming at a govt. dock there is a time limit) that boat owners are adhering to it?
I've emailed a couple of govt' bodies, and have been told that 'its not in our jurisdiction'.
Degnen Harbour Authority sets how that dock is to be used. There seems to me to be a turn over there but it does seem to be always full. I believe there is a fee for anyone staying longer then a few hours. The DFO set up the harbour authorities to allow communities to decide how the public docks would be used. About Harbour Authorities

Old 18-07-2010, 20:40   #219
cruiser

First come first served seems fair. We dont have first and second class citizens in Canada. Not a lot of affordable mooring options for Gabriola residents. Visitors don't take priority over residents.
For mooring bouys , simply pick an empty one , tie up to it and give her full throtle in reverse. If she doesn't move ,she wont move in any wind you can motor into. If she breaks free, you did the owner a favour . It didn't break while his boat was moored to it, and he was ashore
Unless they have a water lease, they have no jurisdiction over who uses a buoy, and the government agent, and a cruising lawyer told me they don't give water leases for private mooring buoys. Claiming apiece of ocean doesn't give one ownership.
Old 20-07-2010, 11:03   #220

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54
I recall a similar problem with derelict vessels off Sausalito, CA in the early eighties. It took about three years but the City of Sausalito finally was able to have them all removed and either salvaged or junked. It improved the bay immensely and allowed the transient boating community to anchor safely in a healthy and vibrant area. A similar area south of the Coronado Bridge off the Navy yards in San Diego was similarly infested with floating junk, including liveaboards who were pumping sewage directly into San Diego Harbour. The harbour patrol was successful in removing the sunken and derelict boats over several years. Even the inner harbour in Ensenada, MX cleaned house but with a little less politeness after the CruisePort was built. In my opinion, transient and long term liveaboards should be encouraged provided they maintain their vessels to a seaworthy, safe standard. Probably 97% of folks who choose this lifestyle are really great stewards of the coastline and anchorages and make great neighbours. It is the few turkeys that spoil it for everyone else.
Old 20-07-2010, 11:35   #221

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Delay View Post
There seems to some implication that they, the Nanaimo Port Authority, are levelling some sort of penalty or fee for anchoring. This is not the case. If you are a transient boat staying less than 14 days, no issue at all. If you are staying longer, the Port Authority will issue a permit if it is an occupied vessel in compliance with the colregs and local requirements(holding tanks). The area in question, last time I was out there, had about 100 derelict, unlit, unmanned vessels dominating an otherwise desireable anchorage. There is little room for those transient boats that spend money in Nanaimo to stay.
I've never been to this area, but if I went to some harbor and rain into this rule, I'd be fine with it. In San Diego finding a free place to drop a hook (even as a visiting yacht) is a constant struggle. We have the same issues with derelict boats. For the people who say "track down the derelict owners", that requires a lot of tax dollars. And more to the point, when one of those boats sinks, it requires *a lot* of tax dollars to haul them out and dispose of them, and of course they're a hazard to navigation until that happens. And good luck getting money from some deadbeat who bought a lancer for $500.
Old 03-09-2010, 10:20   #222

Boat: 54 foot MV Viking 1
No there is not 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Delay View Post
There seems to some implication that they, the Nanaimo Port Authority, are levelling some sort of penalty or fee for anchoring. This is not the case. If you are a transient boat staying less than 14 days, no issue at all. If you are staying longer, the Port Authority will issue a permit if it is an occupied vessel in compliance with the colregs and local requirements(holding tanks). The area in question, last time I was out there, had about 100 derelict, unlit, unmanned vessels dominating an otherwise desireable anchorage. There is little room for those transient boats that spend money in Nanaimo to stay.

An obvious overstatement - there has been about 35 extended stay permits issued and there never has been 100 derelict boats in the harbour. I am one of the boats that choose to keep my boat at anchor in this beautiful harbour. I am Vancouver Island born and raised, have a home in Nanaimo that I pay taxes on and keep my vessel maintained and operational. I think I should have the right to choose to keep my boat at anchor in Canadian waters and not be displaced by visitors. While there had been an issue with a small number of vessels that have since gone elsewhere, the harbour is not as the other poster describes at all.

On the issue of permits, I was actively involved with a group that opposed a number of things the Nanaimo Port Authority was proposing. We were involved with a friendly confrontation with the NPA for a long time prior to their dedline for permits of June 30, 2009. The NPA hassled and threatened a number of boaters, and as many boaters simply want to be left alone those people left. What we have now is about a dozen boats that are responsible and look after their vessels that are paying money to anchor and about a dozen boats still non compliant with the NPA rules but as long as the NPA collects money they seem to look the other way. In short it looks like nothing less than a MONEY GRAB.
Old 03-09-2010, 13:54   #223

Boat: looking
Could someone explain what the "Moonglow" incident has to do with anchoring in Nanaimo? The former occured in Juan de Fuca Strait, but Nanaimo is nowhere near this area. The Chilean Sub was sailing out of the Seattle area, not Nanoose Bay. Sounds like more red-herrings.
Old 05-09-2010, 08:21   #224
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
I've never been to this area, but if I went to some harbor and rain into this rule, I'd be fine with it. In San Diego finding a free place to drop a hook (even as a visiting yacht) is a constant struggle. We have the same issues with derelict boats. For the people who say "track down the derelict owners", that requires a lot of tax dollars. And more to the point, when one of those boats sinks, it requires *a lot* of tax dollars to haul them out and dispose of them, and of course they're a hazard to navigation until that happens. And good luck getting money from some deadbeat who bought a lancer for $500.
Too true. No-one wants to take responsibility for a derelict (including gov't) because once you hook on the cost is yours to bear and dismantling a toxic derelict is very expensive.

Old 05-09-2010, 09:46   #225

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54
When a particular moorage gets too popular, we end up with a situation similar to that in Avalon Harbor on Catalina Island where the mooring balls are privately owned (prices range up to $100,000, I have heard) and the Harbor Patrol manages the overnight assignment and payment system efficiently and very professionally. This system has been in existence for many years and because of the relatively small mooring area, a procedure for bow and stern hook up allows for many vessels to moor safely without the concern of swinging into a neighbor during the night, (except when the Santana winds blow offshore from the mainland) . Watching an inexperienced boater picking up a buoy after it has been assigned provides hours of entertainment for those already secured in their mooring. While Avalon Harbor lacks the pristine and wild environment of the Pacific Northwest, the island itself is a beautiful and inviting spot to spend a week or weekend. Those responsible for the stewardship of popular anchorages should take the time to see what others have done to manage these jewels and use systems and procedures that provide us all with the opportunity to enjoy them. I'm sure the Nanaimo anchorage has changed somewhat since the 1950's when I rafted up log booms in the area.
Closed Thread

Tags
anchor, anchoring, fees