Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-12-2009, 11:35   #61

Boat: Sceptre 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelmrc View Post
correct me if im wrong but i was always under the impression that as long as your vessel was seaworthy and you were not blocking a navigation area you were free to anchor anywhere you like for as long as you like. am i mistaken here ?

That is the essence of the whole matter. Nanaimo is trying to get rid of unseaworthy vessels that do pose a hazard to navigation and a threat to the environment.
Old 16-12-2009, 11:37   #62

Boat: S&S Hughes 38
As much as I fully support what you are saying Brent,you can't fight progress.It is Nanaimo that is centre stage here,but this is happening everywhere.Slowly the "progress" extends further out into the wilderness of our great land,and we the people just have to suck it up and make the best of it.I suggest moving further afield to temporarily offset this distaste for "progress".What is good for some is not always good for all.
Old 16-12-2009, 11:44   #63

Boat: 37ft pilothouse in the PNW
its thinking like that that allows this type of "progress" to continue. if enough people stand up and make some noise others tend to listen. as far as im concerned its dictatorship.
Old 16-12-2009, 12:24   #64

Unfortunately its the reality of the modern world,if people would quit making so many babies and stop being so reliant ON the system we wouldn't be in this mess.As far as standing up making noise,good luck.The "good old days" are long gone.Remember,we ?(not me) were in favour of the 5 ring circus coming to town.Sorry for the thread drift.
Old 16-12-2009, 13:32   #65
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by highseas View Post
Unfortunately its the reality of the modern world,if people would quit making so many babies and stop being so reliant ON the system we wouldn't be in this mess.As far as standing up making noise,good luck.The "good old days" are long gone.Remember,we ?(not me) were in favour of the 5 ring circus coming to town.Sorry for the thread drift.
You are right, the bigger the population, the greater the restrictions on freedom. I haven't made any more people( that I'm aware of)

Promoting apathy is what Neville Chamberland an Joe Kennedy advocated for dealing with Hitler. Where would we be today if we had listened to such Hitler accomplices? To promote apathy is to be an accomplice in the destuction of the cruising lifestyle.
Some complain of derelicts in mark Bay? At what point does your boat become defined as a derelict by ever richer people wanting ever more space for their exclusive use?
You used to be able to anchor anywhere, as long as you wanted , as long as your boat was seaworthy . This is what Nanaimo is trying to destroy and take away from us, making that a priviledge of only those who can afford to pay for it. Expect the two week limit to be racheted down until it becomes a daily fee, for the use of your own anchor. Expect the cost to rise steadily, until only the rich are allowed to cruise. Expect it to spread to ever more anchorages, until the not so rich are exiled to remote areas only, which will be steadily reduced in number. This is not progress, but regress.
My last boat didn't have an engine either ,yet it didn't stop me from sailing her Tahiti and back.
Habour Nazis a problem? We are dealing with people without any conscience, exept money, and politeness is interpreted by them as weakness and lack of resolve, to be exploited. We are dealing with a private corporation, which according to phsychologists, are required to have, by law, all the characteristics of a phsychotic , whos only focus is earnings . See the movie documentary " The Corporation."
Old 16-12-2009, 13:39   #66

Boat: 37ft pilothouse in the PNW
Thumbs up

Great reply Brent... good documentary as well
Old 16-12-2009, 13:57   #67

I hope you have voiced your feelings to the the local MP ,otherwise its also apathy... The cruising set needs a voice like yours heard at a higher level.
Old 16-12-2009, 15:27   #68

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
An "itinerant" cruiser who doesn't pay taxes and doesn't want to contribute to the local coffers is going to receive what sort of response from the local MP?
Old 16-12-2009, 18:38   #69

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Taxes are like blood!

Look what the government is doing to us here in the US of A. The Bigger government, the more blood they want us to donate. They are creating a huge lake and want us to fill it.

The cruisers in Florida have been fighting ABOUT the same thing. Anchorage rights that our forefathers gave us. What would a derelict boat have looked like 100 years ago.

If they want to go after the leakers and sinkers, then do so with tow aways and fines like abandon cars, but why take down the population.

Here in Everett, Wa they just built a new marina but it's for 40' and over boats. They are tearing down parts of the old marina and building Condo's. The problem now is the housing market went to hell and so construction has almost come to a stand still. But the businesses that was there for years had to close or move onto more expensive properties. For what? The big money people! And that's why we have to conserve gas/fuel, so the big money people can have what's left for themselves.

It's the big money people that pay the politicians to move the public against their will. Have you ever met a poor politician?
Old 16-12-2009, 20:51   #70

We all know individuals,or are,or are related to developers,speculators or real estate agents.C'mon people, we are all guilty of aiding this type of behavior to proliferate.Who doesn't want a bigger boat,nicer car or house?Wake up!,Mass consumption is the new world order.The third world has recently figured this out,thanks to our lead.I have purposely tried to live a life that is based on living simpler,thats why I'm cruising now,instead of waiting till I'm 60.By then it will be impossible to roam the seven seas, unless you have wads of cash.This isn't 100 years ago,this is now.You only have one chance in this life to get it right,you'd better get it right the first time.Go cruising.
Old 17-12-2009, 05:31   #71

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
This is not such a simple issue. 20-30 years ago you could go tenting in state or provincial parks easily - there were lots of simple sites, and prices were reasonable. Now more and more of the state/provincial parks are converting their campsites to accommodate RVs. The prices have shot up and it's almost impossible to get a site unless you make reservations (also for a fee). To me the biggest problem is that the campsites are taken up by people who live within 100 Km (60 miles) of the campsite and have their RVs there all season long, as a cheaper alternative to owning a cottage. If Nanaimo didn't do anything, then how many 'local residents' would choose to stop paying the marina and anchor out for free. With the roadstead full, there would be no room for real cruisers, except to pay at the dock. Nanaimo's solution of allowing free anchorage for actual travellers, while discouraging long-term freeloading seems like an ideal compromise, at least as ideal as any compromise can be. To support a sensible approach is not "apathy". Calling it the "thin edge of the wedge" and railing against a moderate approach only invites the powers-that-be to adopt a less-moderate approach. Supporting and encouraging a sensible policy and letting the elected officials know it has widespread support is the best way to ensure the policy stays sensible.

Real "cuisers" do not stay in Nanaimo for more than 2 weeks - if you're staying longer then you've taken up residence and should contribute to the community just as the other residents do. imho
Old 18-12-2009, 02:55   #72
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
The Nanaimo Harbour Regulations

PRACTICES AND PROCEDURES TO BE FOLLOWED BY SHIPS IN THE PORT OF NANAIMO (Updated May 7, 2009)

http://www.npa.ca/PandPmay72009.pdf

Old 20-12-2009, 22:22   #73

Boat: 25' Coronada - Seileaster
:-)

Its just one more way to extort money. I pay school taxes, property taxes, road taxes, fuel taxes, (and more to TRANSIT every day it seems) and soon HST on everything I buy. The only solutions big business (government of any kind) ever comes up with is more taxation. So much for budgeting. Unfortunately I can't tell my boss you have to pay me 8% more this year because I can't live within my budget. That 50' Beneteau I plan for is just going to eat up all my funds, so give me more.
Having a boat at anchor doesn't increase my consumption of the services in my community. If I use a shower on shore, I pay for it. If I shop I pay taxes. Add all the personal income tax too (that temporary tax). It used to be business that paid the costs through their sales, now its the working stiff through taxes, levies, VAT, surcharges...
Lets see, I can't keep my boat its getting too expensive to anchor; can't go camping, all the fees and huge RV's take up all the spots; can't go to the local parks, parking is too much; can't go for a swim at the local lake, paid parking again; skiing is totally out of the picture, even for cross country, everything has to be 'groomed' and that costs money again.
What the heck is a working class stiff to do for recreation.
22% for personal taxation, 12%+ for HST, 35cent on a litre of fuel, local property taxes,+++.
I would just like a piece of cake and if not eat it, at least get a nibble.
Old 23-12-2009, 15:37   #74
cruiser

Nananimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
An "itinerant" cruiser who doesn't pay taxes and doesn't want to contribute to the local coffers is going to receive what sort of response from the local MP?
I'm curious of how I manage to avoid paying the taxes of the buisnesses I buy from, who receive over $4 million per year from cruisers pasing thru, or how I'm able to avoid paying sales taxes like GST, PST and HST, fuel taxes etc. Tell me how I'm doing it, so I can try it , given that you know more about my finances than I do.
You get more reponses from MP's if you are dealing with an opposition MP whom you have campaigned for . I have contacted the MP and her boss, a federal opposition leader, whom I have discussed things with in the past. Waiting for the reply.
Nanaimo is asking us to believe that a city of roughly 100,000 people, using no secondary sewage treatment , dumps less than a half dozen boats in winter time. How many of you are insulted by their suggesting we are so stupid as to believe that?
Old 23-12-2009, 15:50   #75
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
This is not such a simple issue. 20-30 years ago you could go tenting in state or provincial parks easily - there were lots of simple sites, and prices were reasonable. Now more and more of the state/provincial parks are converting their campsites to accommodate RVs. The prices have shot up and it's almost impossible to get a site unless you make reservations (also for a fee). To me the biggest problem is that the campsites are taken up by people who live within 100 Km (60 miles) of the campsite and have their RVs there all season long, as a cheaper alternative to owning a cottage. If Nanaimo didn't do anything, then how many 'local residents' would choose to stop paying the marina and anchor out for free. With the roadstead full, there would be no room for real cruisers, except to pay at the dock. Nanaimo's solution of allowing free anchorage for actual travellers, while discouraging long-term freeloading seems like an ideal compromise, at least as ideal as any compromise can be. To support a sensible approach is not "apathy". Calling it the "thin edge of the wedge" and railing against a moderate approach only invites the powers-that-be to adopt a less-moderate approach. Supporting and encouraging a sensible policy and letting the elected officials know it has widespread support is the best way to ensure the policy stays sensible.

Real "cuisers" do not stay in Nanaimo for more than 2 weeks - if you're staying longer then you've taken up residence and should contribute to the community just as the other residents do. imho
Real cruisers usually have to stop a while sometimes, and top up the cruising kitty. Having to do so doesn't make them any less "Real cruisers".This is a way to ensure that only the independently wealthy will be allowed to cruise in the future. How many of you don't fit the definition of independently wealthy, and thus are having your freeedom to enjoy the cruising lifestyle threatened, by attempts to restrict cruising to the rich? How many of you plan to reward Nanaimo, by spending money there this coming summer, and in the future? Expect the definition of "independenly wealthy"to be racheted upward by ever increasing fees.
Nanaimo residents who object and those forced to buy anything in Nanaimo,can protest by avoiding all harbour front buisinesses, to send the message. I haven't heard of any of them protesting the attacks on their floating customers, or writing letters to the editors on the issue.
Closed Thread

Tags
anchor, anchoring, fees