Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread

Old 25-09-2010, 18:00   #256
cruiser

As the main cause for non cruisers moving onto bopats is the high cost of living ashore, a simple solution is to discourage speculators from forcing them of the land. A capital gains tax on real estate investmen, of 90% if you flip it over night, racheted down to 50% if you hang onto it for a few years , racheted down to zero if you own and use if for ten years or more, will discourage real estate scam artists and speculators form forcing ever more people into the ranks of the homeless. The money could be used for low interest loans for people buying their first homes. .

Old 25-09-2010, 18:21   #257

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Novel Idea...

We have something a bit similar for Forest land here.

If you log more the 50% of it you can not develop it for 6 years.

I think its a good ruling myself.

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Old 25-09-2010, 20:16   #258

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
As the main cause for non cruisers moving onto bopats is the high cost of living ashore, a simple solution is to discourage speculators from forcing them of the land. A capital gains tax on real estate investmen, of 90% if you flip it over night, racheted down to 50% if you hang onto it for a few years , racheted down to zero if you own and use if for ten years or more, will discourage real estate scam artists and speculators form forcing ever more people into the ranks of the homeless. The money could be used for low interest loans for people buying their first homes. .
Capital gains on real estate investment huh? Wow, I thought you were a rational reseanable individual. Guess I was wrong. Screw the wealthy for they are the root of all evil. Is that what you are say, Brent?

Interesting that many here will be real estate investors of one type or another. I am sure many here will support you. I am not one of them.
Old 25-09-2010, 21:02   #259

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54
For those of you not keeping up with the coming tax 'improvements' in the US, starting after 2012 there will be a federal sales tax on ALL homes sold of 3.5%. This is the first of many income distribution schemes coming at all of us in the lower 48 and Alaska. The next to fall will be deduction of mortgage interest on income tax which has never been a feature of the Canadian Tax Code. Brent Swain's comments that living aboard may be the last bastion of independence from the land based taxing authorities is probably true. With the government giveaway programs of easy mortgage money over the last several years in the US, we are getting exactly what we deserve from the real estate crash down here. All politics are local and doing what we can in our own communities to stop unreasonable laws relating to liveaboards or shore side folks trying to hang onto their only asset is critical to the life style we enjoy. These are the musings of an old man who has seen the damage that overbearing, well intentioned but ignorant local politicians can do, so stand up to them and don't let anyone screw with your way of life. Capt Phil
Old 25-09-2010, 21:42   #260

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Its only a tax for those who make over 200k signal or 500K joint or any one with 250K profit from any real estate sold.

Still its another tax.

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Old 25-09-2010, 22:34   #261

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora
All I can say is that when we cut taxes the country goes to the dogs. No body likes taxes but we can't have all the bridges falling down and roofs leaking at all the airports. I need bridges and airports to preposition my boat and make a living. Having a decent country is expensive and important for the future of our kids and theirs. IMHO. Real estate speculation should be a much smaller component of the overall market that it has been. Living aboard your boat should be a life style choice not a forced choice. Cruisers should be cruisers not hobo's.
Todd
Old 26-09-2010, 09:49   #262

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54
Well said, IdoraKeeper... PS love your boat, had one for almost 20 years,Capt Phil
Old 26-09-2010, 12:23   #263

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Yemen & Lebanon... the sailboat is in Lebenon, the dhow is in Yemen
Boat: 1978 CT48 & 65ft Cargo Dhow
This has gotten to political for the mod team.
This thread is closed.

Closed Thread

Tags
anchor, anchoring, fees

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: