Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2010, 12:50   #196
cruiser

The logic is the same
Old 06-04-2010, 13:01   #197

Boat: 40' Northstar Ketch
No, the holocaust is documented and photographed, most of what you say is hearsay. Big difference. You don't like the Nanaimo Harbor Authority, that is clear. Trying to convince cruisers that their boat will be towed while they are at the pub is a blatant lie and could be harmful to the Nanaimo businesses. I say could be harmful...
Old 06-04-2010, 13:11   #198
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

A reminder, folks: At Cruisers Forum, we allow debate on the issues, not on the character of the debaters. Please give some thought to your words before you post them.

Thank you for your cooperation.

TaoJones
Old 06-04-2010, 13:50   #199

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
Therefore anyone who doesn't have documentation in his back pocket proving it, should regard the holocaust as having never happened?
I've seen police retaliation campaigns against people who say what the mounties don't want them to say. I wouldn't want to impose them on any of my friends. Is that why you are asking for their names?
If boats were being towed while people were ashore eating dinner, as you have implied, I am sure it would be in the newspapers. Please provide a source or a reference to support your claims. This is not the holocost we are talking about, its a discussion about anchoring fees and the repercussions if someone chooses not to pay them.

I previously requested something to support your claim about a submarine sinking the vessel of a friend of yours. You stated the sailors had been drinking heavily the night before and implied as a result the sub was at fault. I ended up doing the research to find a link to the official report about a Chilean submarine, hitting a sailing vessel in heavy fog. I provided a link for all to see that your claims were not supported by the official report. In fact the official report cited the sailing vessels captain for being at fault, say he had strayed off course in the fog, was operating single handed in dangerous conditions and has no fog warning device of any type.

Here is the link again:

http://www.tsb.gc.ca/eng/rapports-re...8/m94w0078.asp

Frankly Mr. Swain, while you may have brought the issue of being charged anchoring fees to light, your outlandish claims of friends telling you this and that, seems to be more storytelling than truth. And that hurts your creditability when you do discuss the issue at hand.
Old 06-04-2010, 22:07   #200

Boat: Tartan 37 Adios III
Quote "And that hurts your creditability when you do discuss the issue at hand."

Probably does your credibility no good either
Old 08-04-2010, 12:14   #201
cruiser

Chilean Sub Found Liable

You will notice that the debate on Nanaimo anchoring fees was locked before anyone could point out that the courts found the operators of the submarine at fault and ordered the Chileans to pay the skipper $300,000 , which the Chileans refused to pay, until a free trade agreement with them put their Canadian assets at risk . Then they paid in full.
This debate was cut off only after the apologists for the military gave their version , and information on the court version was blocked. The debate was also cut off before anyone could challenge the ludicrous suggestion that how sunk the Moonglow was, depended on the nationality of the sub leaving the Nanoose testing range. I made no mention of the nationality of the sub, only implied that without the range , it probably wouldn't have been there.
And you say I have a credibility problem.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:49   #202
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
You might reacquaint yourself with the Form’s Rules, which state (in part):

"... ✬ Be mindful of yourself and others. This forum is not a democracy; it is privately owned and we make the rules. If rules are violated we retain the right at our discretion to remove, edit or delete posts and if necessary ban or remove members. Any abuse toward our staff may/will result in immediate suspension of your account. Complaints about moderator decisions may not be made in posts; instead send a private message to a moderator, administrator or use the Contact Us form to reach the owner Cruisers Forum. If a moderator deletes or edits one of your posts and you disagree with the action, contact the moderator concerned. Do not repost deleted material. "

Rules ➥ Cruisers & Sailing Forums

Old 08-04-2010, 13:23   #203
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

This thread has been re-opened, and the last two posts, above, have been merged with it so that there is an unbroken record of the outcome of the accident with the Chilean submarine.

It is clear that a lot of people posting in this thread feel they may ignore the Be Nice Rule. What is that? Glad you asked.

Under the Be Courteous section of the Community Rules, you will find the following, in red type to stress it's importance:
Quote:
  • We take the "be nice" rule VERY seriously! We do not tolerate ANY rudeness.
From this point on, we will insist that this Rule be adhered to . . . no exceptions. Any further disruptions in this thread, and it will be closed permanently.

Thank you for your cooperation.

TaoJones
Old 08-04-2010, 19:50   #204

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by highseas View Post
I'm sure many budget conscious boaters look forward to paying $ to drop the hook.Paperwork and insurance is a given,but don't know of anywhere in Mexico where you pay to anchor.
It may have changed, but the last I heard, Puerto Escondido was sticking it to everyone.

Ayn Rand
Old 09-04-2010, 00:01   #205

Boat: S2 35c
The Cancer has spread

The city of Oak Bay next to Victoria BC, has now had it's officers issue live aboards notice they are not allowed in their harbor and must leave or be subject to a $200 a day fine.
Old 09-04-2010, 16:15   #206
cruiser

Friends driving by Escondito last winter said the mooriings were totally abandoned, the infrastructure they set up for boaters was unused, and Mexico's tourism industry was wrecked. The end result of money grabbing blind greed? Not enough comming in, so raise the price which means even fewer coming in, so raise the price again etc etc. Where does it stop? When do they wake up?
The sickness is spreading, as I predicted.
If we dont take a stand and give Nanaimo a miss this summer, we will have given other comunities the go ahead to restrict anchoring everywhere in BC. How do you tell your kids you did nothing to defend for the, the freedom we have enjoyed?
A restaurant owner, who is also a cruiser, and wants his kids to have the freeedom we have enjoyed ,was a bit startled when I told him about the boycott Nanaimo movement, Then he thought about it and said "I'll take the hit. Freedom is more important."
Do Nanaimo watefront businesses deserve the support of customers who's ability to come to their town is threatened ,while they do nothing to protest and defend their customers? I haven't heard of any outcry from them over the harbour restrictions. I haven't read any letters to the editors from the waterfront businesses over the issue.
Mobility rights in the charter take priority over short term profits by anyone.
Old 10-04-2010, 19:08   #207

Boat: Brent Swain Pilot House 36' Steel Sloop
Agreed with Brent...it is not about the fee, it is about the "cancer" ever growing encroachment of impediments, tournquet by increments imposed by bureaucrats on our lives. No plebicites for these laws that affect our lives. Regulations are now pending even for those who gold pan or engage in small mining... but that is another story as is the fish farm industry that has wreaked havoc on BC wild salmon stocks as in the British Isles, Scandanavia and Chile...permitted in BC by bureaucrats except that one helluva fight is on and looking better for those wishing to save our wild stocks (adopt-a-fry.org). For me it is about the reach of regulator power without the means (plebicites) to fight it.
Old 10-04-2010, 19:31   #208

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
Friends driving by Escondito last winter said the mooriings were totally abandoned, the infrastructure they set up for boaters was unused, and Mexico's tourism industry was wrecked. The end result of money grabbing blind greed? Not enough comming in, so raise the price which means even fewer coming in, so raise the price again etc etc. Where does it stop? When do they wake up?
The sickness is spreading, as I predicted.
If we dont take a stand and give Nanaimo a miss this summer, we will have given other comunities the go ahead to restrict anchoring everywhere in BC. How do you tell your kids you did nothing to defend for the, the freedom we have enjoyed?
A restaurant owner, who is also a cruiser, and wants his kids to have the freeedom we have enjoyed ,was a bit startled when I told him about the boycott Nanaimo movement, Then he thought about it and said "I'll take the hit. Freedom is more important."
Do Nanaimo watefront businesses deserve the support of customers who's ability to come to their town is threatened ,while they do nothing to protest and defend their customers? I haven't heard of any outcry from them over the harbour restrictions. I haven't read any letters to the editors from the waterfront businesses over the issue.
Mobility rights in the charter take priority over short term profits by anyone.
One of your better posts Brent.

You do much better when you stick to the point....you start to loose supporters like myself with all the color thrown in...

As stated before Nanaimo is on my bypass list this year...so +1 to your/our cause.

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Old 11-04-2010, 06:47   #209
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Gee Brent, maybe they’ve read your post.

"Loreto Fest 2010 MARINA SPECIAL RATES

"Written by Administrator

"Tuesday, 02 March 2010 18:38

"Loreto Fest 2010

"NEWSFLASH - SINGLAR MARINA - PUERTO ESCONDIDO HAS JUST ANNOUNCED THAT THEY WILL BE OFFERING A 20% DISCOUNT ON MOORING & DOCK FEES FROM APRIL 20 - MAY 10. THIS IS YOUR CHANCE TO COME ENJOY LORETO FEST & THE BEAUTIFUL SINGLAR FACILITIES AT A DEEP DISCOUNT.
"

To read the rest of the news release, go to:

Welcome to the HPYC

Old 11-04-2010, 10:38   #210

Boat: S&S Hughes 38
At this very moment I am motoring PAST Puerto Escondido,heading to Puerto Ballandra to anchor.I refuse to pay to anchor.If this happens in Nanaimo I will do the same.
Closed Thread

Tags
anchor, anchoring, fees