Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-10-2008, 19:25   #1

Moor for less in southern Puget Sound

Anyone have any suggestions on where to get permanent moor-age for less in south Puget Sound (Tacoma Olympia area)? Or what is realistic for the area?
escapeartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2008, 22:37   #2

Leg work/phone work

I wish I could help you out, but you're touching on one of the great questions of sailing - Where can I put the boat when I'm not sailing it that won't cost a ton?

As you can tell from the deafening silence, there's no answer to that. To find good cheap mooring requires knocking on doors and calling marinas and asking people who are in the area you want to be in.

I don't know the waters in that area personally, but I used to be on Kitsap Peninsula. I seem to recall that some bays/ports in the area have harbor authorities who can allow you to put in a permanent mooring at your personal cost and an annual fee. Try calling around to them, or to companies who install moorings.

Work your networks. Are you part of a boating club? do they have moorage, or out stations? Do they have suggestions on local marinas or clubs?

If you see a property that has a private dock that seems under-utilized, ask them if it would be possible for you to lease a spot temporarily, while you look for a permanet spot. They may even be willing to let you stay permanent, but you won't know unless you ask. I've seen some pretty fancy piles whose owners head south for the winter, and who lease their dock out over the winters.

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog anchored in a coral atoll.
Amgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2008, 22:58   #3

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer
Cheap and available mooring in the PNW are words that don't belong in the same sentence unless it is a question. All I can say is good luck.
Old 26-10-2008, 20:16   #4

Thank you Amgine I wasn't aware of those possibilities. I have a boat in mind but without a place to keep it I hesitate to drop the other shoe. I live about 2 hrs south of the area so am not familiar with the waters either. looks like several weekend trips up to check things out. Thanks again.
escapeartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2008, 08:47   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"
If you were looking up North, I have an available slip for up to a 42' at Skyline right at the gate to the San Juan's.
CharlieCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2008, 10:44   #6

Boat: Schock 35
Lake Union is the highest cost followed by Shilshole (Seattle) and Tacoma and Olympia. Des Moines is a fraction cheaper but not much. Cheapest moorage is on the west side of the sound, but unless you live there it is not much fun to have to take the ferry to get to your boat. I have researched this twice in the last 6 years and have given up on cheap moorage.
Tom Spohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2008, 13:14   #7

Boat: 1981 C&C 34
The creaky, funky, run-down marinas are usually cheaper. Crow's Nest on the north side of Commencement Bay is one that comes to mind. Nearby Tyee is probably reasonable too.

Stuff like 24 hour security guards, nice bathrooms and laundry, cement docs, shelter from the weather, access to main channels, etc., all cost more.

Also, the further away from large population centers the cheaper it gets. You pay for convienience too.

Marinas.com might be a good place to start.
JohnWms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2008, 13:37   #8

Further south...

I think he's looking for moorage south of Tacoma Narrows.

I personally suggest Port Townsend/Sequim. Up where there's wind. But adding 3-5 hours onto the drive means there's no chance for a wednesday evening I-got-off-work-a-bit-early let's-go-for-a-quick-sail.

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog anchored in a coral atoll.
Amgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2008, 15:05   #9

Boat: it doesn't have a sail so it doesn't count!
Check out CraigsList under boats. I found moorage in Seattle there and it seems like I remember seeing listings for the entire Puget Sound area. I know there's space in Bremerton and Port Orchard -- a little further than you originally mentioned.

all the best,
craig
NW Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2008, 19:26   #10

Location: Currently on the HARD in Guaymas Mexico and staying in Phoenix, AZ
Boat: Columbia 45
Crow's Nest and Tyee on NW of Commencement bay. I am at Crow's Nest. 507 liveaboard, no electrical meter. They figure $132 for electrical, $375 for 45' slip. Not a real fancy place, but it does the trick.
lookoutnw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
puget sound