Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2006, 18:31   #1

Military bases and Airfields

I was at an event and I heard about a women in her 70's that cruised off to visit Military bases and airfileds in the pacific. I'm not clear, but I assume the target was abandoned bases. This struck me as an excellent idea. Is there any literature on such a potential cruise?

Limpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 10:09   #2

Boat: Amel, Super Maramu, 53 feet - DoodleBug
Cool WW II Bases

You may have heard of a 72 year old woman (Marie / Mary Jo?? – sorry, forgotten name) who is solo sailing. I remember reading an article that was published in a sailing magazine in the fall of 2004 about her proposed attempt to sail to Hawaii. When we met her in 2005 she had just arrived in New Caledonia, so we can safely assume that she made Hawaii. Last time we crossed paths was Bundaberg, Australia in May, 2006.I know there is a book “World War II Pacific Island Guide : A Geo-Military Study” by Gordon Rottman but we found that most travel guides will discuss any military artifacts that exist on a particular island. The early Christian missionaries did such a good job of destroying any archeological sites of the indigenous peoples that often the ONLY artifacts to be seen on these islands are the WWII relics. We visited abandoned military sites on Bora-Bora, Penrhyn, American Somoa, Vanuatu, New Caledonia and Torres Strait on our cruise but these are a tiny fraction of what is available.
Ed Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 02:47   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Pacific Cruising Guides: ~ by Ken Machtley and Cathy Siegismund

”Welcome to the virtual home of Felicity < http://www.svfelicity.com/ >, a 31' sailboat from Seattle that has cruised across the Pacific ... Sometimes we forget just how much we've learned since embarking on this adventure. For future cruisers interested in our perspective, we share our thoughts on topics ranging from our "ideal" cruising yacht to various lessons we've learned. We also published a 50+ page First-Timer's Guide to the Coconut Milk Run for the cruisers that left from Mexico in March/April of 2002. Find these articles and more in the Articles section.”
http://www.svfelicity.com/articles/index.htm

including:
”Guide to Cruising the Coconut Milk Run”
”New Zealand”

and more ...

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote