Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 16-11-2010, 04:09   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourOldNemesis View Post
I wouldn't bother with Panama or the Galapagos. Just head straight to the Marqueses - magical place!
Well, I would say - DO not miss Galapagos. I liked Panama a lot too, but maybe because I did spend 6 months there.

Panama - Marquesas was about 3300 nm for us. Fatu Hiva is a magical place (Bay of virgins).

Old 16-11-2010, 04:19   #17

Galapagos - the water was not very clear for diving, the people were too lazy or stupid to collect the torrential rainwater when it fell so they constantly whined about water shortages, the only animal we saw there that you won't see in other places is the marine lizard and the Equador tourist board is trying to seal the place up so that the only people who can visit are those willing to pay through the nose on a package tour from the mainland. This is allegedly in the cause of limiting the amount of eco-damaging tourism to only the high value tourists. These tourists fly in and fly out, surely it would be more eco-friendly to encourage people to sail there - yet the cruising permit restrictions make it impossible to visit more than one island with your own boat.

Old 16-11-2010, 04:34   #18

Quote:
Galapagos - the water was not very clear for diving, the people were too lazy or stupid to collect the torrential rainwater when it fell so they constantly whined about water shortages, the only animal we saw there that you won't see in other places is the marine lizard and the Equador tourist board is trying to seal the place up so that the only people who can visit are those willing to pay through the nose on a package tour from the mainland. This is allegedly in the cause of limiting the amount of eco-damaging tourism to only the high value tourists. These tourists fly in and fly out, surely it would be more eco-friendly to encourage people to sail there - yet the cruising permit restrictions make it impossible to visit more than one island with your own boat.
Well. You do seem to had a bad luck. We had wonderful diving with good visability, saw some hammerheads, manta, turtles, sea lions etc. Every place do have poor visability sometimes.

Animals on land we saw different Iguanas, birds, tortugas etc.

I think you are the first person I have heard not recommending going to Galapagos.
Old 16-11-2010, 04:39   #19

I think it depends where else you have been/are going. It's a great place to see lots of wildlife, but you'll see almost (apart from the Iguanas) all of the same things somewhere else if you're cruising through the south Pacific. There are much better places to dive too - Bonaire, Marqueses, Tuamotus, Tonga, Fiji etc...

I would recommend it to someone who was flying in on a package deal but definitely not to cruisers who have a lot more idyllic islands ahead of them with far fewer cynical/greedy locals.
Old 16-11-2010, 05:10   #20

Quote:
I think it depends where else you have been/are going. It's a great place to see lots of wildlife, but you'll see almost (apart from the Iguanas) all of the same things somewhere else if you're cruising through the south Pacific. There are much better places to dive too - Bonaire, Marqueses, Tuamotus, Tonga, Fiji etc...

I would recommend it to someone who was flying in on a package deal but definitely not to cruisers who have a lot more idyllic islands ahead of them with far fewer cynical/greedy locals.
We sailed across the south pacific and dove and snorkeled a lot

Well....I think you have a hard time to find many better places to see Hammerheads elsewhere. Galapagos is one of the best dive we have done...including Sipadan (Borneo), Fiji, Tuamotu, Australia, Mexico, Belize, Tonga...I do agree that there are places with better visability, although we had about 50ft visability during our dives in Galapagos.

The iguanas is very easy to see in galapagos and are everywhere. But saw also lots of sea turtles, pelicans, boobies, sea lions. I don't say it is like a wild safari in Africa. But it is good.
Old 16-11-2010, 05:13   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreas.mehlin View Post
We sailed across the south pacific and dove and snorkeled a lot

Well....I think you have a hard time to find many better places to see Hammerheads elsewhere. Galapagos is one of the best dive we have done...including Sipadan (Borneo), Fiji, Tuamotu, Australia, Mexico, Belize, Tonga...I do agree that there are places with better visability, although we had about 50ft visability during our dives in Galapagos.

The iguanas is very easy to see in galapagos and are everywhere. But saw also lots of sea turtles, pelicans, boobies, sea lions. I don't say it is like a wild safari in Africa. But it is good.
Yes, you're right, it's the only place I saw hammerheads.

How did you like the locals?
Old 16-11-2010, 05:26   #22

Quote:
Yes, you're right, it's the only place I saw hammerheads.

How did you like the locals?
The locals were ok. Had some problems with our outboard and found nice people to fix it for us (cheap). Can't remember we had anything bad to say about the locals. But...of course...comparing the locals from Fatu Hiva with the locals from santa cruz is not fair We had so much more contact with the locals in marquesas which was really lovely.
Old 16-11-2010, 06:21   #23
Long Range Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
The worlds most cruiser bullshitted place is also the most sensationally unmissable place to vist. And its virtually free to do so!

The lies reign supreme starting with every yacht that enters must pay $100 per day to have a scientist on board....

We wrote it up quickly without formatics as a Word Document and you can download it here.
The first half is about transiting Panama Canal (the second most Cruiser Bullshitted place on Earth!)

www.OurLifeAtSea.com/pangalapagos.doc

Every moment in Galapagos is a David Attenborough moment, but YOU are the scientist / discoverer / Explorer!

Sea Life with our own baby Sea Lion 'Galapi'. When we left she swam after us! Yes, there were grumpy old bastards who threw their Sea Lions off their boats. But we loved them

Videos of swimming with Sea Lions, more photos etc on the webiste:
www.OurLifeAtSea.com see pages 2008 and Photos & Videos.

If Galapagos is only a few thousands miles off your course then thats amazingly close!

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Mexico

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: