Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2009, 16:23   #16

Location: Colorado at the moment, looking to relocate to Baja
Boat: Currently Looking
Send a message via AIM to TheColoradoDude Send a message via Yahoo to TheColoradoDude
I have been to Baja 3 times in the past 4 months. Use the same caution and common sense as you would any major city in the United States. Stay away from the border towns at night, and if your driving, do that during the day. Once you get out of the hassle of the border towns Baja opens up to some of the most genuine and friendly people around.

On another note? Where can I find a boat to hop on and learn to sail on the West Coast? I will most definately share expenses.
TheColoradoDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 22:17   #17
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheColoradoDude View Post
Where can I find a boat to hop on and learn to sail on the West Coast? I will most definately share expenses.
You might try sending a PM to Colorado Dreamer. He lives in Ft. Collins and keeps a vessel in San Diego - he might be willing to help you out.

BTW, you left the last "o" off Colorado in your "location" info.

TaoJones
Old 12-04-2009, 22:50   #18
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

That looks better now, Dude, to my born-in-Colorado eyes.

TaoJones
Old 12-04-2009, 22:55   #19

Location: Colorado at the moment, looking to relocate to Baja
Boat: Currently Looking
Send a message via AIM to TheColoradoDude Send a message via Yahoo to TheColoradoDude
Ha, how funny! I'm a native too! Only a few of us left in this town. I sent a message to Colorado Dreamer. And updated my profile. Thanks for the heads up.
TheColoradoDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2009, 06:24   #20

Boat: Islander 36
rides south

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheColoradoDude View Post

On another note? Where can I find a boat to hop on and learn to sail on the West Coast? I will most definately share expenses.
Try
Southbounders FAQ
Old 24-04-2009, 08:22   #21
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
the mexican problems seem to be related to drugs----the samke old donot drive at nite do not walk at nite and such always followed will work....after the border towns is very nice--i donot like the ocean coast--is alll overgrown---down to baja sur---then becomes decent and nicer---bajia asuncion was lovely, and south of thereis good---the whales migrate iun winter and guerro negro is a place ot go to see them....the gulf side is very nice and folks are lovely and kind and friendly----there arew some goood fishies in sea of cortez-----pangaderos will trade if ya catch an octopus--for shrimps.....fun fishing there--i did from a dinghy at the los encantados area.....lovely there----
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2009, 09:27   #22

Boat: TPI Lagoon 42
In the past year, we've driven from San Diego to La Paz and back five times. It's a 20-hour drive, so we go until we're tired (we don't drive Hwy. 1 at night) and then get a room and continue the next day, getting to our destination in the afternoon. When we're in San Diego, we hear all the stories about Mexico and, after a while, almost start believing them. People in the US regularly tell us we're nuts to go to Mexico. However, we have never had anything but warm, friendly encounters with everyone in Mexico, including the police and soldiers at the checkpoints (there are about six of them between SD & La Paz).

On our last trip we were sitting in the cockpit with friends, discussing the whole Mexico fear thing and how blown out of proportion the press coverage is in relation to day-today living and traveling in Mexico. I decided to dig a little deeper and, instead of relying on the sensational news reports for information, looked up whatever crime statistics I could find. There's a lot of info out there, but this seems to be the best summary:

Mexico Crime

US Crime

If you stare at this stuff long enough, you could easily conclude that the US is where you should be afraid. According to recent news reports, there seems to be a random mass murder in the US every few days. But, we also have never had any really bad encounters with locals in the US. So the real question, for me, is whether or not one chooses to be terrorized by the news. Our personal experience has revealed the disconnect between the news and reality and we choose not to live in fear in either country.
Yotboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2009, 09:39   #23
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
You will be sailing with a 100 boats. In isolated areas until you get to Cabo. You won't even have to sleep with one eye open. You will need to take advice in, but throw some out Once you round the cape.

Mexico is like any place in the world. You need to be aware, and don't put yourself in a compromising position.......i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2009, 09:52   #24

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 49
I am anchored a half mile off of Mazatlan right now (friends boat). We walked all over Mazatlan two days ago and saw no sign of any problems. On my way to Isla Issabella, San Blas, and PV over the next few weeks. I would be glad to post additional reports whenever I am able to grab a wireless signal.
CAELESTIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2009, 10:30   #25
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
while in mazatlan go say hi to patrick on patricia belle--- nicer folks cannot be found...tell them hay from solitary bird!!!!!! i have known patrick for 13 yrs---has a charter biz down there---www.patricia belle.com.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2009, 03:25   #26

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40
there is a lot of press hysteria about Mexico right now. Yes, there are battles between drug gangs at the border. But Mexico is a very big country. Not to go to southern Mexico because there is a drug war in Juarez or Tijuana is like refusing to go to Denver because the Mafia in NY are killing each other. I laugh at some of the ignorant coverage where breathless newsies tell people not to go to the beach because the border towns are in trouble

and PS - they arent aiming at cruisers or vacationers. they are aiming at each other. If you want to avoid trouble with the drug gangs then I suggest you try to avoid trafficking in drugs. Thats probably good advice anyway
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2009, 06:46   #27
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Not to go to southern Mexico because there is a drug war in Juarez or Tijuana is like refusing to go to Denver because the Mafia in NY are killing each other.

Perfect example........i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2009, 06:13   #28
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Poor Mexico . . . when it rains, it pours. If the drug violence weren't enough, now there's this:

washingtonpost.com

Of course, as with any potential pandemic, it's not until evidence of an outbreak becomes obvious that the word gets out. By then, a person may have unwittingly entered a "hotspot," then moved on, or back to, an otherwise unaffected area. Thus, an isolated event can become a pandemic.

In the words of Bart Simpson (and others): "If it ain't one damn thing, it's another."

TaoJones
Old 26-04-2009, 11:13   #29

Boat: Islander 36
I'm thinking this flu is what was going around here a few weeks ago (in La Paz). I got it. Like a nasty cold with more symptoms than most colds I've had. One of those "almost wish you could die" sort of colds.

As far as I can tell, I didn't die.
Old 15-09-2009, 18:22   #30

Boat: Nordhavn 46
OK on the water

Having driven the road 20 times and cruised the Sea of Cortez for many years, I have at times been a bit nervous driving in the northern portion of both mainland Mexico and Baja California, but never had a problem.
I have never felt at all nervous or had any sort of real problem being on the Pacific Coast of Mexico (including the Sea of Cortez) in our boat. Things are getting a bit more crowded and expensive, but our experience is that it is really safe. It is a great place with lots of wonderful Mexicans and cruisers.
have a great trip & anchor out lots.
Steve
Steve Strand is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Mexico, safety